Morrissey statement on Manchester Attack - Morrissey Official Facebook

Text:

Celebrating my birthday in Manchester as news of the Manchester Arena bomb broke. The anger is monumental.
For what reason will this ever stop?

Theresa May says such attacks "will not break us", but her own life is lived in a bullet-proof bubble, and she evidently does not need to identify any young people today in Manchester morgues. Also, "will not break us" means that the tragedy will not break her, or her policies on immigration. The young people of Manchester are already broken - thanks all the same, Theresa. Sadiq Khan says "London is united with Manchester", but he does not condemn Islamic State - who have claimed responsibility for the bomb. The Queen receives absurd praise for her 'strong words' against the attack, yet she does not cancel today's garden party at Buckingham Palace - for which no criticism is allowed in the Britain of free press. Manchester mayor Andy Burnham says the attack is the work of an "extremist". An extreme what? An extreme rabbit?
In modern Britain everyone seems petrified to officially say what we all say in private. Politicians tell us they are unafraid, but they are never the victims. How easy to be unafraid when one is protected from the line of fire. The people have no such protections.

Morrissey
23 May 2017.

Media coverage:

Last edited by a moderator:

Muslim people should never be intimidated, discriminated or hated.

So, you can see how it is problematic to issue a statement in the aftermath of what happened in Manchester, as Morrissey did, insisting on blaming Islam and stressing the importance of publicly identifying the perpetrator as a Muslim, is problematic. It's no secret that he was a Muslim, but why should politicians be expected to stress this fact? I can't think of any harmful consequences that come about from them failing to do so. They might state it as a simple matter of fact, but in that case we ought to be indifferent as to whether they do or they don't. The only reasons I can think of for feeling that they must are that you wish to intimidate Muslims generally, and/or that you wish to encourage antipathy towards Muslims in wider society. Can you think of any other reason?

So, you can see how it is problematic to issue a statement in the aftermath of what happened in Manchester, as Morrissey did, insisting on blaming Islam and stressing the importance of publicly identifying the perpetrator as a Muslim, is problematic. It's no secret that he was a Muslim, but why should politicians be expected to stress this fact? I can't think of any harmful consequences that come about from them failing to do so. They might state it as a simple matter of fact, but in that case we ought to be indifferent as to whether they do or they don't. The only reasons I can think of for feeling that they must are that you wish to intimidate Muslims generally, and/or that you wish to encourage antipathy towards Muslims in wider society. Can you think of any other reason?

Before you can solve a problem you have to identify the problem. Obviously solutions are complex and may take many years if not decades, but a starting point would be to at least acknowledge that radical islam is a growing problem in Europe. Strangely enough very few European leaders seem willing to even make that concession.

It would be like living in England in the 70's and 80's and saying that there wasn't a problem with the IRA. No, those bombs were the work of a few nutters who just happened to be Irish.

Before you can solve a problem you have to identify the problem.

The issue is not about identifying the problem. The nature of the problem is well-known. Morrissey seems to think it is unacceptable to talk about the problem without pointing a finger at your innocent neighbours.

It would be like living in England in the 70's and 80's and saying that there wasn't a problem with the IRA.

What, precisely, would be like that?

Wouldn't a more appropriate analogy be that it would be like saying there wasn't a problem with Catholics or the Irish?

The issue is not about identifying the problem. The nature of the problem is well-known. Morrissey seems to think it is unacceptable to talk about the problem without pointing a finger at your innocent neighbours.

What, precisely, would be like that?

Wouldn't a more appropriate analogy be that it would be like saying there wasn't a problem with Catholics or the Irish?

I'm really struggling to read his post and see the 'pointing fingers at innocent neighbours' part but then I guess it comes down to your interpretation of it.

I don't see how telling the truth can be a problem. On the contrary, I think telling the truth is the only way to show respect for the victims and their families. If there's a problem with Islam, whatever it is the origin of it, that must be said. The truth is -like Morrissey said- nobody in British government wants to assume the responsibility of middle eastern invasions and the lack of vigilance of dangerous muslim activities in the country. They acted like guilty kids and looked to the other side, without even mourning the victims in a proper way.

On the other hand, foreign communities enjoy the sympathy they earn for their cultural affinity, the integration with the rest of the society and the behaviour of their members. Extremist religious leaders and suicide bombers across all Europe and other countries didn't help to improve sympathy for muslim people as a rule. Morrissey statement had nothing to do with it, like nothing anyone can say will modify that fact. A new lie, even by omission, will make just another liar.

I don't see how telling the truth can be a problem. On the contrary, I think telling the truth is the only way to show respect for the victims and their families. If there's a problem with Islam, whatever it is the origin of it, that must be said. The truth is -like Morrissey said- nobody in British government wants to assume the responsibility of middle eastern invasions and the lack of vigilance of dangerous muslim activities in the country. They acted like guilty kids and looked to the other side, without even mourning the victims in a proper way.

On the other hand, foreign communities enjoy the sympathy they earn for their cultural affinity, the integration with the rest of the society and the behaviour of their members. Extremist religious leaders and suicide bombers across all Europe and other countries didn't help to improve sympathy for muslim people as a rule. Morrissey statement had nothing to do with it, like nothing anyone can say will modify that fact. A new lie, even by omission, will make just another liar.

Funny how we can all know the perpetrator was Muslim and nobody is hiding it, but some are living in a fantasy world where only 'special, informed' people know and they talk about it secretly among themselves while passing in back alleys at midnight. Maybe they pass notes to one another in case they are heard. What a pile of bullshit. Is it a kind of fetish?

I have nothing good to say about Christianity. But my point was that it's okay to put down the Catholic Church and the Pope but if you start talking about Islam suddenly you are an evil person. I'm not defending Christianity but as far as I'm aware no Christians have blown up an Ariana Grande concert in the past couple of weeks. The point is that Islam is some stupid bullshit. You have to be a moron or brainwashed to believe it, and the idea that it really is having an increasing influence on western society is alarming to me. It should be open to being mocked the same as any other religion. People tread lightly because of fear of extremists or becausee of fear that saying Islam is bullshit will result in charges of bigotry, even "hate speech," which is a ridiculous law in the first place. You can't have freedom of speech and then have a few words or phrases that don't count.
Three catholics agreed.

giphy.gif

Currently reports of another terrorist incident happening now in London, with people getting run over on London Bridge. On and on it goes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-40147014
There is an ongoing incident in Vauxhall as well. I have just seen horrendous pictures from the first incident that I believe is right by London Bridge. Sky News are showing police storming a restaurant telling people to get down on the floor.

There is an ongoing incident in Vauxhall as well. I have just seen horrendous pictures from the first incident that I believe is right by London Bridge. Sky News are showing police storming a restaurant telling people to get down on the floor.
Not sure what this is but it seems that there was an explosion in Turin during tonights Champions League game.

This is the video:

The Turin incident was fireworks that ended with 200 people injured so not a terror attack.

Morrissey was dead on. Perhaps now that there are more dead bodies courtesy of this scourge. Something proper will be done about it.

Morrissey was dead on. Perhaps now that there are more dead bodies courtesy of this scourge. Something proper will be done about it.
This situation is new in that it is in fact two separate terror attacks in the city of London.

7 dead and many injured so far.

Ok, time for the Islamic apologists to propose that 12 inch knives are a capitalist racist plot.

Ok, time for the Islamic apologists to propose that 12 inch knives are a capitalist racist plot.

No. No. No. No No. No No NO.

Stop trying to jump ahead.

At least first give them all a chance to teach us how heightened security and more careful vetting of people's backgrounds during the visa application process to Western countries is an insult to the applicants, an insult to the terrorists, and an insult to all of our collective human rights.

Theresa May today made it clear that the internet needs to be restricted and controlled in order to stop terrorism plans and recruitment online. I wonder what this will mean for other online customers.

Her words of "enough is enough" is a strong statement that must mean we will see measures taken that have not been used before.

Theresa May today made it clear that the internet needs to be restricted and controlled in order to stop terrorism plans and recruitment online. I wonder what this will mean for other online customers.

Her words of "enough is enough" is a strong statement that must mean we will see measures taken that have not been used before.

Common sense?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom