Morrissey's "Autobiography" has entered the UK book chart at number 1 - TTY

UPDATE 6:45 PM PT:

MORRISZEY sends a link with more detail:

Morrissey tops charts - The Bookseller

Excerpt:

Morrissey's much-anticipated Autobiography (Penguin Classics) has become one of the fastest-selling memoirs since official sales records began.

The £8.99 paperback publication sold 34,918 copies in the UK last week—the biggest first-week sale from a memoir since Kate McCann's Madeleine (Bantam Press) sold 72,500 copies in its opening week in May 2011.

Autobiography's sale is the biggest first-week sale from a musician's memoir since official sales records began in 1998, beating previous record holder Keith Richards' Life (Weidenfeld). The latter sold 28,213 copies in its opening week back in October 2010.

Morrissey débuts at number one in the Official UK Top 50, relegating Helen Fielding's new Bridget Jones novel, Mad About the Boy (Cape, 32,172 copies sold), into second place.

UPDATE 2:35 PM PT:

Link posted by MORRISZEY:

Morrissey's Autobiography has become one of the fastest-selling memoirs since official sales records began - true-to-you.net
22 October 2013

Morrissey's much-anticipated Autobiography (Penguin Classics) has become one of the fastest-selling memoirs since official sales records began.

Autobiography's sale is the biggest first-week sale from a musician's memoir since official sales records began in 1998, beating previous record holder Keith Richards' Life (Weidenfeld). The latter sold 28,213 copies in its opening week back in October 2010.

Morrissey's Autobiography has entered the UK book chart at number 1, and has become the fastest-ever selling music memoir
- true-to-you.net

Morrissey's Autobiography has entered the UK book chart at number 1, and has become the fastest-ever selling music memoir. It is also one of the fastest-ever selling memoirs generally. No book has sold as quickly since Kate McCann's 2011 book Madeleine.

Also, #1 in Ireland:

Morrissey knocks Dunphy off No 1 in book chart - RTE

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that's pretty great! I rushed to buy it in the morning in Waterstones and there weren't many left on the shelf. I read somewhere that some places sold out completely, is that true?

Wow, that's pretty great! I rushed to buy it in the morning in Waterstones and there weren't many left on the shelf. I read somewhere that some places sold out completely, is that true?

On Friday afternoon Waterstones Islington Green sold out the copies.
I got one on Saturday.

Having read it, I am not in the least surprised! One of the finest works of literature I have ever had the pleasure to read! It deserves its place in Penguin Classics, despite what all those non-readers ( but Judges) have said! Isadora Duncan, Charlie Chaplin, John Quinn, all great reads, but have to say SPM beats the lot!

Sweet.

I found it a charming little read.:thumb:

Waterstones Cardiff was completely sold out by Thursday afternoon.

Biggest selling book since Madeleine? Who the hell bought so many copies of that?

I've yet to finish the book yet but am enjoying savouring every word (and occasionally grabbing my dictionary!) It's just so charming.

Simply loved it. It really humanized Morrissey for me. I only wish everyone else wouldn't get so worked up on labels. :rolleyes:

I got my copy for £4.49 at WHS Chester. I am probably half way through & absorbing every line. He writes so sweetly & accurately about growing up in the old Manchester, as it was then. He brought back so many precious memories to me of my Grandparents & parents who lived in inner city Hulme & Cholton cum medlock in Manchester until the slum clearance to the suburbs of Chorlton,Stretford , Whythenshawe & Sale . He describes the Catholic schooling system so sharply, my Dad was a pupil of St Wilfrid's in the 1940's - never speaks of it ? I was a pupil of the Loreto nuns - we were all put down! However, myself & my 10 siblings survived all of this, to become strong, tough people of Irish/ Famine/ catholic decent - able to cope with the trough that life chucks at us & life certainly does vomit all over us on a regular basis BUT alas we survive.
What i have loved so far about Morrissey's autobiography is his openness & affection for his family. They are clearly the most important thing - the personal tragedies for him are enormous. I can relate to this, i have had many too in my meagre 46 years.
I could not care less about Morrissey's sexuality. It is quite clear that he falls in love with the person/human being - irrespective of gender. That's a good thing.
I always hope to meet him one day, if our paths cross then Hallelujah!
Goodnight to you all. Jacx

Last edited:
Update from true-to-you.net

Morrissey's Autobiography has become one of the fastest-selling memoirs since official sales records began

22 October 2013

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom