Morrissey's Autobiography / Penguin Books (UK) deal [updated] - true-to-you.net

UPDATE Sep. 13, 3:05PM PT:

link posted by jbabz:

Clarification - true-to-you.net
13 September 2013

The publication of Morrissey's Autobiography remains with Penguin Books.

This is a deal for the UK and Europe, but Morrissey has no contract with a publisher for the U.S. or any other territory.

As of 13 September, Morrissey and Penguin (UK) remain determined to publish within the next few weeks.

Statement
- true-to-you.net
12 September 2013

Although Morrissey's Autobiography was set to be available throughout the UK on September 16th, a last-minute content disagreement between Penguin Books and Morrissey has caused the venture to collapse. No review copies were printed, and Morrissey is now in search of a new publisher.

UPDATE - media coverage:

The Story of Morrissey's Autobiography Keeps Getting Weirder by ALEXANDER ABAD-SANTOS - The Atlantic Wire

Excerpt:

But two spokespeople in Penguin's New York headquarters said they had no knowledge of any plans for publication.

A spokeswoman for Penguin's U.K. arm was a little more revealing when reached via email about Morrissey's latest signal to fans about the book.

"How nice that he seemed to say yes," said the spokeswoman, Rosie Glaisher. "Here's hoping."

But she added: "Nothing on the schedule at this time."

And then there's this comment to The Guardian this morning:

Penguin has refused to confirm or deny that the book was due to be published, or even the existence of the reported deal with the singer.

Morrissey autobiography deal has collapsed, says semi-official fan site by Liz Bury - The Guardian

Morrissey pulls his autobiography days before release - BBC.co.uk

Excerpt:

A Penguin Books spokeswoman said there would be no comment on the issue.

Link/excerpt posted by HangtheDJ16:

Is Morrissey’s autobiography a book that will never come out? by Nick Clark - The Independent
Singer announces 11th-hour split from publishers – despite no evidence the book was anywhere near finished

Excerpt:

Lee Brackstone, creative director of Faber, said it was the “first I’d heard” about next week’s supposed publication. “I can’t see how they could turn the book around that quickly and nobody seems to know anything about it. It seems like mischief to me.”

Mr Brackstone had written an open letter to Morrissey in 2010 to woo him to the publisher, though “only half seriously” and continued in a similar tone yesterday. “I’ve grown out of it. All I can say is: that joke isn’t funny any more.”

He added: “It will be a wonderful book and I love him – he’s a hero to so many people and remains a vital influence in this moribund culture he constantly challenges. But working with him? I’m not sure I’ve the strength and fortitude much as I’d love to.”

One industry insider said: “There is simply no evidence of this book in existence. It would be on the radar of bookshops, certainly wholesalers. How else would it get sold? Out of the boot of his car?”

Morrissey’s autobiography was not listed as due for publication on the Nielsen Index, nor was it given an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) code which it would have been had it been coming out next week, according to the industry insider.
autobiography_artwork_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I for one minute don't think he'll give much away. He will be as selective as he can. Otherwise much more of his enigma will be blown and I'm not sure if he will want to risk it. Maybe I'm wrong and he's now ready to tell all because he's certainly become a lot more confident in the last 10 years. Who knows, we'll never know until we've read it :)

'I for one minute don't think he'll give much away.'

Competition time folks ! CHAPTER TITLES ?

I shall go first. Chapter 5 :- Peter Hogg

Benny-the-Butcher

I for one minute don't think he'll give much away. He will be as selective as he can. Otherwise much more of his enigma will be blown and I'm not sure if he will want to risk it. Maybe I'm wrong and he's now ready to tell all because he's certainly become a lot more confident in the last 10 years. Who knows, we'll never know until we've read it :)

Agreed. He's not going to totally let us in, why should he? Yes, he's a private person and has maintained a certain mystique all these years, which really is quite remarkable.

However, I assume he will go a bit outside his comfort zone and offer at least bits and pieces of new (and at times juicy) info, otherwise the book will be considered a let down. Surely Morrissey knows this.

I for one am foaming at the mouth, admittedly :blushing:

NME and digital spy are full of lazy journalists who have rehashed and interpreted the true to you statement. Penguin didn't say the deal is still on, somebody in Morrissey's camp did. If Penguin had said anything we would have a quote and other rags would have run with it.

if it was rushed to press how long would it take?

Not very long because it doesn't exist :head-smack: you know how can I explain ? Like Father Christmas, unicorns, mermaids, tooth-fairy, Loch-Ness monster.
Hope that helps :highfive:

The press seems to report almost everything he says., I just hope they don't twist his words, a whole book is fodder for the next 100 years..please reconsider. xx

Not very long because it doesn't exist :head-smack: you know how can I explain ? Like Father Christmas, unicorns, mermaids, tooth-fairy, Loch-Ness monster.
Hope that helps :highfive:

Note the use of the word 'if', 'if it was rushed to press', Is English your mother tongue? Well over a week gone now and the countdown continues.

If Morrissey's account of certain incidents are at significant odds with, say, Rogan's Severed Alliance, and Morrissey did not sue Rogan, should we believe Morrissey?

The Severed Alliance has not been challenged legally, and "all" Morrissey has done is wish violent death on the author, so surely that is tacit agreement of its veracity. Even its detractors admit is is forensic.

Comparing and contrasting the two books will be interesting. My fear is we might be getting a Partridgesque Bouncing Back rather than a Dylan's Chronicles.

Morrissey is one of the few people who have been proved in a court of law to be too often at variances with the truth, when it suits his own ends. Will his autobiography need to be moved to the fiction shelf?

If Morrissey's account of certain incidents are at significant odds with, say, Rogan's Severed Alliance, and Morrissey did not sue Rogan, should we believe Morrissey?

The Severed Alliance has not been challenged legally, and "all" Morrissey has done is wish violent death on the author, so surely that is tacit agreement of its veracity. Even its detractors admit is is forensic.

Comparing and contrasting the two books will be interesting. My fear is we might be getting a Partridgesque Bouncing Back rather than a Dylan's Chronicles.

Morrissey is one of the few people who have been proved in a court of law to be too often at variances with the truth, when it suits his own ends. Will his autobiography need to be moved to the fiction shelf?

All the greats are either liars or thieves. In Morrissey and Dylans case quite literally.

What a boring unkind person you are.

I am curious if Moz is getting any emails such as "Morrissey, sorry I didn't ring you , are you feeling all right, oh by the way, you aren't going to put the time "blank" happen in your book?"

The liklihood is that the autobiography will be in the style of the liner notes from the Southpaw Grammer and Maladjusted reissues and the recent piece on Mick Ronson and the recording of Your Arsenal.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom