Morrissey's best delivery?

I'll go with "I Know It's Over" for The Smiths, and "Little Man, What Now?" and "Late Night, Maudlin Street" for solo-- in fact, I think as a whole, "Viva Hate" is his "best-delivered" album. Another vocal I love is "That's Entertainment". But as others have said, it's almost impossible to choose.

One of them is "Rush and a Push and the land is Ours." I love the way his voice sings oooooh at the beginning over the piano. Always gives me the chills. I love the way he sings the rest of the song also. The way he says "phone me" is enchanting. Beautiful beyond words. "This Charming man" too.

I'll go with "I Know It's Over" for The Smiths, and "Little Man, What Now?" and "Late Night, Maudlin Street" for solo-- in fact, I think as a whole, "Viva Hate" is his "best-delivered" album. Another vocal I love is "That's Entertainment". But as others have said, it's almost impossible to choose.

Good one. One time I was at my computer doing something and this was on a random play list and I sat there and cried. It just took me by surprise at that moment even though I'd heard it a hundred times before, so beautiful. It's not like me to do that. :o

Good one. One time I was at my computer doing something and this was on a random play list and I sat there and cried. It just took me by surprise at that moment even though I'd heard it a hundred times before, so beautiful. It's not like me to do that. :o

It's really one of his best solo songs. Perhaps people don't rate it that highly because it's a cover, but I've always felt he took Weller's original and changed it significantly, to the point where I almost hear two different songs entirely. And he accomplished this change through a controlled and bitter, yet also empathetic and soulful vocal performance that's among the best he's ever put on vinyl.

It's really one of his best solo songs. Perhaps people don't rate it that highly because it's a cover, but I've always felt he took Weller's original and changed it significantly, to the point where I almost hear two different songs entirely. And he accomplished this change through a controlled and bitter, yet also empathetic and soulful vocal performance that's among the best he's ever put on vinyl.

I agree 100%. Stephane put The Jams lyrics up against Morrissey's on passionsjustlikemine so you can compare the differences. MOrrissey's version is so much more desperate and reflects, well, it's difficult to describe. It resonates. And the wailing oboe at the end, a classic instrument of snake charmers that, in a way, reflects the very essence of why he might find these things entertaining, stuck in a trance sort of thing. Ach!

I agree 100%. Stephane put The Jams lyrics up against Morrissey's on passionsjustlikemine so you can compare the differences. MOrrissey's version is so much more desperate and reflects, well, it's difficult to describe. It resonates. And the wailing oboe at the end, a classic instrument of snake charmers that, in a way, reflects the very essence of why he might find these things entertaining, stuck in a trance sort of thing. Ach!

Morrissey's version is all rueful irony with a touch of wistful longing for escape. Paul's hums with discontent and sarcasm. They both work well in different ways, and perhaps the difference between the two approaches is the key difference between the songwriters: Morrissey invests his songs with more raw emotion, Weller is more of a social critic. Two different senses of distance. When I hear the two versions, it sounds to me as if Morrissey is trapped, wishing he was far away, whereas in Paul's version it sounds like he's on the outside looking in (though it was said that he wrote the song in ten minutes after coming home drunk from the pub, suggesting it was truly a belch from the heart :rolleyes: ).

I'm sorry, but the version with Siouxsie was hard to hear at first. The two doing a duet together, sounded good in theory, but was close to disastrous in practice.

I couldn't agree more - Siouxsie is incredibly poor, she sounds like someone just dragged in off the pavement and the whole thing is just painful. I was referring to the unreleased Morrissey-only version which, by contrast, is marvellous and shows up how well he can handle a full-blown crooner chanson. I should have said.

cheers

I couldn't agree more - Siouxsie is incredibly poor, she sounds like someone just dragged in off the pavement and the whole thing is just painful. I was referring to the unreleased Morrissey-only version which, by contrast, is marvellous and shows up how well he can handle a full-blown crooner chanson. I should have said.

cheers
Hearing Morrissey's portion only made me long for what could have been a truly moving song... if he had recorded it himself. You could just hear the struggle for supremacy between the two distinctive talents. Their voices did not complement one another.

I have to find the unreleased version.

Last edited:
2nd test at Edgbaston, 1996, 2nd innings, 14th over, 2nd ball. Amazing seam position and reverse swing.

I agree with "That's Entertainment" I nearly died when I found out he covered that, AND it sounded AMAZING.

I Know It's Over. I'll never forget sitting in my dorm room, crying hysterically when I heard one of the live versions of it. However, honestly, it's really hard to pick any other particular Smith's song because they are equally great imo. What She Said comes to mind, because I was obsessed with that song for years, he sounds so urgent.

Our Frank
Tomorrow
Piccadilly Palare
Such a Little Thing
Dial-A-Cliche
Suedehead
Break Up the Family

too many...:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom