Morrissey's best delivery?

Stretch out and wait is a classic! That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore and I Know It's Over are both good songs...sod it, the WHOLE Smiths catagory, he sings well

Of cause there are plenty of solo songs, which are shit obviously because they have run out of ideas for Morrissey to sing. There's a lot of album tracks which should never have been made and there's a lot of demos that should have been released instead.

There are so many beautiful ones to pick. I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now is stunning.

Of cause there are plenty of solo songs, which are shit obviously because they have run out of ideas for Morrissey to sing. There's a lot of album tracks which should never have been made and there's a lot of demos that should have been released instead.

Such as?

Stretch out and wait is a classic! That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore and I Know It's Over are both good songs...sod it, the WHOLE Smiths catagory, he sings well

Well, I know it's over is something more than a good song, IMO (maybe my fav, but everyone has its own). But even not judging the song, but just the vocal performance, should we talk about "oh mother I can feel the soil falling over my heeead oh oh oh oh"....? It still makes me cry, always. :tears:

Well, I know it's over is something more than a good song, IMO (maybe my fav, but everyone has its own). But even not judging the song, but just the vocal performance, should we talk about "oh mother I can feel the soil falling over my heeead oh oh oh oh"....? It still makes me cry, always. :tears:

It have strong emotional reactions to that song as well. That part in particular gives me chills... I have something in my eyes.:tears:

Interesting thread...it's got me thinking. There are so many great vocals to choose from. I honestly believe he is one of the greatest singers in the history of pop music...but how did he get that way?

I agree with many already mentioned. I would also suggest:

I've changed my plea to guilty
I'm not sorry
Trouble loves me
Friday mourning

I too simply adore that song. I can't pick a fave, it depends whichemotion needs releasing at any one time.

Suffer Little Children, Wonderful women, Well I wonder and when he sings "Send me the pillow the one that you dream on........and I'll send you mine" on Some Girls still stop time and make life so much harder once the music stops.

Perhaps what I love most about the singing on this song is how Morrissey sings the "S"'s, especially in the second verse:

It was only a tesssst
But she swam to far against the tide
She deserves all she getsssss
The sky became mad with starsssss
As an outstretched arm slowly disappearsssss

His voice is so dark and deep on this song. It's almost as if you could walk around in it, you're totally immersed in it. His voice is like a gentle caress.

Perhaps what I love most about the singing on this song is how Morrissey sings the "S"'s, especially in the second verse:

It was only a tesssst
But she swam to far against the tide
She deserves all she getsssss
The sky became mad with starsssss
As an outstretched arm slowly disappearsssss

His voice is so dark and deep on this song. It's almost as if you could walk around in it, you're totally immersed in it. His voice is like a gentle caress.

Sorry,but this is a bit OTT

Interesting thread...it's got me thinking. There are so many great vocals to choose from. I honestly believe he is one of the greatest singers in the history of pop music...but how did he get that way?

Morrissey is so underrated as a vocalist. I think his vocal gifts have usually been obscured by his physical beauty, his lyrical abilities, his ridiculous charisma, his quick wit and the ever-present psychodrama. Underneath it all is one of pop's greatest communicators.

There are too many great vocal "performances" to choose from, but I think "Life Is a Pigsty" features one of his most emotionally devastating vocals - everything after "and if you don't know this, then what do you know..." is pure, heartbreaking mid-life opera.

"It's Not Your Birthday Anymore" features one of the most chilling vocals I've ever heard (from anyone). He purrs so seductively on that song, reels you in and then attacks, and those ungodly howls of pain? remorse? pleasure? all three? It's horrifying. He's spent so many years telling us that he's a freezingly cold soul, and those vocals make me believe it.

"You Were Good In Your Time" and "Something Is Squeezing My Skull"

I think Years of Refusal features some of his best stuff. My favourite Moz album, anyway!

Are we talking with auto tune or without?

Because I think 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore' is his finest vocal performance but I'm not sure how honest it is.

Piccadilly Palare and Come Back To Camden are the first that came to mind. Also Let Me Kiss You

Back
Top Bottom