Morrissey's Lyric References

A

Anonymous

It is obvious that Moz is greatly inspired by English Literature and film, which is overtly expressed by references to Shelagh Delaney and the like.

It actually becomes apparent that many of Moz's lyrics are pulled from various places within history.

I found a James Dean quote where he said something along the lines of "Only the gentle are ever really strong". Which reminded me of the lyric in 'I Know it's Over' - "It takes strength to be gentle and kind"... I dunno...Maybe I'm reading into it too much?

Anyway, do you know of any other references to literature/film within Moz's lyrics?
I'm interested to see what is out there!

It is obvious that Moz is greatly inspired by English Literature and film, which is overtly expressed by references to Shelagh Delaney and the like.

It actually becomes apparent that many of Moz's lyrics are pulled from various places within history.

I found a James Dean quote where he said something along the lines of "Only the gentle are ever really strong". Which reminded me of the lyric in 'I Know it's Over' - "It takes strength to be gentle and kind"... I dunno...Maybe I'm reading into it too much?
Anyway, do you know of any other references to literature/film within Moz's lyrics?

No, you're not reading too much into it. I've been a Dean fan longer than a Morrissey fan, and I have always known the inspiration behind that lyric comes directly from Dean's quote.

As for other references - maybe this will help.

I posted this in a previous thread. Not sure if this reference has been mentioned before?

'Dombey & Son' by Charles Dickens :

- There is a character called Susan referred to as 'the black-eyed one'.
- The missing ship is called 'The Son and Heir'.
- The word 'charming' appears 30 times.
- Major Bagstock: '
'Cleopatra commands...and Antony Bagstock obeys.'
- Florence : '
it would indeed be better to go back to the old house, and live again within the shadow of its dull walls, undisturbed.'

Sorry, I'm a slow reader!

'Little Dorritt' by Charles Dickens :

- "
and sometimes, in the midst of these mute witnesses, to the life they had had together, even Pet herself would yield to lamenting and weeping"

Last edited:

I advise you to bookmark http://passionsjustlikemine.com.

Under the influence, the sources of lyrics references are listed.

Last edited:
Yes that page has been abandoned for at least 10 years, that list is incomplete and includes errors.

The link that Kewpie gave is up to date.

Okay...

'Tis not okay... :)

Though, I found it interesting. ..

Back
Top Bottom