Morrissey's "Satellite Of Love" #2 (#1 last week) in Billboard's Hot Singles Sales chart

Re: Morrissey Satellite of Love NUMBER ONE on charts

This is the thing with Morrissey and the American charts. If the Billboard charts were sales-only like for every other country in the world, Morrissey would have fared so much better. I'm pretty sure he may have actually had a number one. I think I remember seeing some song of his at number 1 in the 'sales only' chart in the early/mid 1990s.

Unfortunately the Billboard Hot 100 is a mix of sales and radio airplay, and I think airplay must weigh a lot in the mix because sometimes the song at #1 in the Hot 100 can only be found really low on the sales-only chart. I even think that nowadays Youtube plays weigh into the Hot 100 as well, which is just bananas if you ask me.

Stéphane

I've just come across this and was shocked to see Morrissey sitting at number one last week. He's at two this week as you can see form the link below. I live in the UK so have no idea how this chart works but at a number one is a number one I suppose?!

http://www.billboard.com/biz/charts/hot-singles-sales

billboard_hot_singles.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

This is the thing with Morrissey and the American charts. If the Billboard charts were sales-only like for every other country in the world, Morrissey would have fared so much better. I'm pretty sure he may have actually had a number one. I think I remember seeing some song of his at number 1 in the 'sales only' chart in the early/mid 1990s.

Unfortunately the Billboard Hot 100 is a mix of sales and radio airplay, and I think airplay must weigh a lot in the mix because sometimes the song at #1 in the Hot 100 can only be found really low on the sales-only chart. I even think that nowadays Youtube plays weigh into the Hot 100 as well, which is just bananas if you ask me.

Stéphane

People who get all concerned about chart positions and statistics . . . . . . . . . . . .! What do they look like ? Who are they ? What is the point ?

They wear parka jackets and rucksacks which carry their packed lunch and flask of coffee and hang around at the end of the train platform/airport runway or outside the Eddie Stobbart depot scribbling down names and numbers taking pictures and listening in to radio conversations, after a hard days spotting they go home to their bedrooms to collate all their useless statistics and then its off to bed after Mummy's hot milk and cookies to dream about being a train driver/aircraft pilot/truck-driver. Its a compulsive obsession of their lives and studies have found they don't have relationships but are of a humasexual orientation whatever one of those is ?

Come to think of it does the above remind you of a certain Mummy's boy we all know ?

Pony Wilson

Is this chart only for physical sales or something? If so, I can quite easily see how he could get to no. 1 on such a chart, as I don't really know who still buys physical singles anymore aside from collectors, and Morrissey has some of the most passionate collectors around.

This particular Billboard chart is for live covers of Lou Reed songs called Satellite of Love, in which Morrissey is doing very well.

Billboard is baffling. They seem to have charts for every eventuality. Essentially I think the Billboard Hot 100 is the main one. Is that correct American chums?

People who get all concerned about chart positions and statistics . . . . . . . . . . . .! What do they look like ? Who are they ? What is the point ?

They wear parka jackets and rucksacks which carry their packed lunch and flask of coffee and hang around at the end of the train platform/airport runway or outside the Eddie Stobbart depot scribbling down names and numbers taking pictures and listening in to radio conversations, after a hard days spotting they go home to their bedrooms to collate all their useless statistics and then its off to bed after Mummy's hot milk and cookies to dream about being a train driver/aircraft pilot/truck-driver. Its a compulsive obsession of their lives and studies have found they don't have relationships but are of a humasexual orientation whatever one of those is ?

Come to think of it does the above remind you of a certain Mummy's boy we all know ?

Pony Wilson

Hi Guys

Does anyone know where the link is so I can find out what position "Autobiography by Morrissey" is this week ?

Thanks

Cyril in Scunthorpe

Stéphane

Additionally, only "Top 40" stations have their playlist included in the charts main charts. So basically the Biebers and the Myleys get played over and over on 2 or 3 stations in a market like Boston and 7 or 8 stations don't play them at all but those stations don't matter.

It's clearly an American concept backed by the idea that those with the money and power will make sure outsiders stay out.

Hi Guys

Does anyone know where the link is so I can find out what position "Autobiography by Morrissey" is this week ?

Thanks

Cyril in Scunthorpe

Will you go out with me? We can stand on a windswept platform in Doncaster, sharing a vegetarian Greggs pasty and delight in the smell of the 5.19 from Edinburgh as it flies to the Capital.

Love,

Audrey in Morecambe.

P.S. That Morrissey is doing pretty well for himself these days.

Will you go out with me? We can stand on a windswept platform in Doncaster, sharing a vegetarian Greggs pasty and delight in the smell of the 5.19 from Edinburgh as it flies to the Capital.

Love,

Audrey in Morecambe.

Which reminds me of...

tAdU7Hv.jpg

P.

Per wikipedia (which hasn't been updated to reflect this) this would be only the second time ever any Morrissey single made it into the Billboard top 100 with The More Your Ignore Me, The Closer I get peaking at number 43.

This is really weird. Are radio stations playing this song?

Love,

Audrey in Morecambe.

Oh Audrey that sounds chuffing fantabulous it's a date and you can forget sharing the veggie pasty I shall get us one each.
Flask ? Tea or coffee ?

Per wikipedia (which hasn't been updated to reflect this) this would be only the second time ever any Morrissey single made it into the Billboard top 100 with The More Your Ignore Me, The Closer I get peaking at number 43.

This is not the same chart. Satellite Of Love did not make the Hot 100.

Stéphane

Wiki:

Hot Singles Sales — (per Billboard) "the top selling singles compiled from a national sample of retail store, mass merchant and internet sales reports collected, compiled, and provided by Nielsen Soundscan."

The chart is released weekly and measures sales of physical commercial singles. With the decline in sales of physical singles in the US, songs that become number one on this chart often do not even chart on the Hot 100.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom