Moz portraits

I did this one a while ago, but I am not completely happy with it. Can someone tell me what is wrong with it because I can't figure it out.

I did this one a while ago, but I am not completely happy with it. Can someone tell me what is wrong with it because I can't figure it out.

i like it! im not sure what is wrong with it, maybe he looks too stubbley, as hes normally very clean-shaven?

Hmmm... comparing to the album cover I'd say, in your picture, his forehead is too short and jawline a little bit too wide. So over all the face is too round. But you've done an excellent job and the picture is a real beaut! :) I wouldn't have thought what's 'wrong' with it, if you hadn't asked.

I think just the nose is too wide. Other than that, I'd say it looks great...you've captured the lips perfectly!

Passed a couple of hours doing these last night. You like?
The second one is probably my favorite photo of Morrissey ever. It's so poetic. I think it's a Linder.

These are wonderful :)

I really admire you for being able to draw so nicely in pen. I draw mostly in pencil and charcoal but I have tried to draw and shade in pen but failed miserably.

Any tips? ;)

These are wonderful :)

I really admire you for being able to draw so nicely in pen. I draw mostly in pencil and charcoal but I have tried to draw and shade in pen but failed miserably.

Any tips? ;)

I have practised for many years with the pen. My biggest inspiration is Moebius (aka Jean Giraud), french comic artist, and I used to practice by simply copying his stuff endlessly. I'll see if I can find some of his work and post it.
But my tip would be copy others pen work and practice. Move on to interpreting photos graphically with the pen and practice more.

Wow, I see some excellent work here. I have not yet drawn any pictures of Morrissey, although I've been spending some time looking for nicely lit shots online. I sort of dabble in art too, still have a long way to go, but I enjoy it very much. It's so nice to see so many artists here! :)

As you can see, my style is not that polished, but I like the result most of the time. I just wish I had more free time to do this! :) This is Martin Gore from Depeche Mode. I know it's not Morrissey, but I wanted to show you an example of a portrait.

212899974_6edb0d3768_m.jpg
212899988_cece576faf_m.jpg

Last edited:
Those are pretty good. I like the one with sunglasses the most, probably because you left some space around it. It looks more...finished.

So do you think I'm ready to try Moz? :p

I love your work by the way, the shading is just great. Creates great dimention.

Absolutely! There are so many great pictures of him. Personally I can't get tired of studying his face :D

Thank's for your kind words

Oh, you're welcome. :) I'm always looking for inspiration from other artists.

I think Morrissey's face was made for portraiture, so expressive, he's not pretty but has that... something. I like b&w pictures of him, because I draw portraits in pencil, it's a bit closer to my intended result. Well, I'll show you the result when I get to it!

Oh yeah, please do so.

I like B/W too, it depends on my mood really. But if I do it I prefer the pen to pencil.
You should try getting into colours some time it's really cool. You can create so much depth and wolume, it's quite fascinating.

Wow, everyone is so cretive!! I can't draw (oddly, as I have an art based degree!) !

This is Martin Gore from Depeche Mode.
I think those are quite good, because I regognized him immediately without looking at the name :) Keep drawing and do a Mozzer!

@ Fantsu, alright, I'll do a Mozzer. ;) But I'll only show you the result if I'm satisfied with it, oki doki? Just be patient, I have to wait for this month to end before I start anything.

@Inathan, actually my fave way of drawing is with pencil crayons, but I have to try pencil first, to see if I can even DO Morrissey justice. I'll try to find something to show you with pencil crayons. If I'm happy with the result, I'll try watercolour pencils. Now, that would be something! :D

@Inathan, actually my fave way of drawing is with pencil crayons, but I have to try pencil first, to see if I can even DO Morrissey justice. I'll try to find something to show you with pencil crayons. If I'm happy with the result, I'll try watercolour pencils. Now, that would be something! :D

Ah I see. The way I do colour potraits is always with water colour first, then crayon pencils in many layers and sometimes I finish up by highlighting with white acrylic. That's how I did the Morrissey portrait posted here.

Back
Top Bottom