moz: self made failure

S

Stuzer

Is it just me, or do you think that the relative failure of Moz's singles lie in the fact that they aren't particularly good. Alma Matters was great, but Roy's Keen was a good tune tainted by some of Moz's worst lyrics and the worst pun this side of Carter USM. Similarly, Satan wasn't too hot either.
Trouble Loves Me should have been a single off Maladjusted. Nobody Loves Us should have been a single, Speedway should have been a single, etc, etc.
His powers of selection are holding back his chart career, as is his reluctance to talk to the music press. The only reason that they have a dig at him is because they are @#!!!ed off with the fact that they can't get an interview.
If he was in the press even half as much as somebody as unworthy as Idlewild currently are, he'd have less of a reason to mope about in a darkened room right now.

Re: moz: self made failure? Certainly not!

> If he was in the press even half as much as somebody as unworthy¿ as Idlewild currently are, he'd have less of a reason to mope¿ about in a darkened room right now.

I really don't think he cares.

it is rather interesting to reflect that the ole' mozzer has always wished to be a "singles star" (or at least that's what i've read), but i don't think that the singles are all that bad. i just think the public, at large, aren't hip to well crafted pop songs. they instead like much more predictable, watered down stuff. for instance, satan...is a wonderful single, right down to the b sides.
interesting point, but i'll have to disagree!¿ Is it just me, or do you think that the relative failure of¿ Moz's singles lie in the fact that they aren't particularly¿ good. Alma Matters was great, but Roy's Keen was a good tune¿ tainted by some of Moz's worst lyrics and the worst pun this¿ side of Carter USM. Similarly, Satan wasn't too hot either.¿ Trouble Loves Me should have been a single off Maladjusted.¿ Nobody Loves Us should have been a single, Speedway should have¿ been a single, etc, etc.¿ His powers of selection are holding back his chart career, as is¿ his reluctance to talk to the music press. The only reason that¿ they have a dig at him is because they are @#!!! ed off with¿ the fact that they can't get an interview.¿ If he was in the press even half as much as somebody as unworthy¿ as Idlewild currently are, he'd have less of a reason to mope¿ about in a darkened room right now.

If he wanted to improve sales, he should be in the press more. He probably just doesn't care. I wish he would though. I don't think R.E.M would have just gone gold in the US with Up if they weren't doing so much. They world could use more of Morrissey anyways.

> Trouble Loves Me should have been a single off Maladjusted.¿ Nobody Loves Us should have been a single, Speedway should have¿ been a single, etc, etc.

I sort of agree. I wish he would put out these songs--then again, that would make off the other songs on his records "fillers". And, some of them are, but, like all Moz records, most of the songs take a few listens to be appreciated. If he was to put out his best works on the record, then why bother buying the album? But, I do wish he selected the songs you named. I wonder why "Jack the Ripper" was put on 4 records, but never released.¿ His powers of selection are holding back his chart career, as is¿ his reluctance to talk to the music press. The only reason that¿ they have a dig at him is because they are @#!!! ed off with¿ the fact that they can't get an interview.¿ If he was in the press even half as much as somebody as unworthy¿ as Idlewild currently are, he'd have less of a reason to mope¿ about in a darkened room right now.

I think that's where the industry is at fault. Morrissey is Morrissey, and no-one can change him. They should know by now that he doesn't like being a press puppet, and the label and management should take over where he lacks. The reps need to get on MTV's case and corner them into giving him airtime. They need to stick it to the radio, and do some heavy promotion. The only way one can know about a new Morrissey record is if you are some die-hard fan. But, if there is some serious rep support, they should try to advertise the man and make some new fans before he gets too old. If Bowie can still make new fans, Moz can too.

Re: moz: self made failure? Certainly not!

> I really don't think he cares.

As far as the single are concerned, I of course love them, but I think the strongest part of those singles are the b-sides that are released with them. I simply adore "I Can Have Both" and "Lost"

If You Have Five Seconds To Spare

Back
Top Bottom