Moz writes open letter to Australian Deputy PM about live animal export - PETA Australia

Posted today via peta.org.au:

Morrissey Asks Barnaby Joyce: Stop the Live-Export ‘Slow Boat to Hell’ - PETA Australia

As Morrissey wraps up his Australian tour, the music legend and animal advocate fired off a letter to Barnaby Joyce, Australia’s Minister for Agriculture and Water Resources and Deputy Prime Minister, urging him to put “the live-export industry out of its misery”.

Read Morrissey's letter (PDF)

39297_Morrissey-Letter-to-Barnaby-Joyce-PETA.png

UPDATE 9:40PM PT:

Link posted by Uncleskinny:

Morrissey to Barnaby Joyce: 'If meat is murder, live export is the slow boat to hell' - The Guardian

Includes response from Barnaby Joyce via Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am an artist. I know what art is.

Regardless of the actual topic, this is quite an arrogant thing to say. There isn't a general consensus what ''art'' is exactly for hundreds of years, there's not a ''meter'' that tells what art is - and it's a good thing.

Regardless of the actual topic, this is quite an arrogant thing to say. There isn't a general consensus what ''art'' is exactly for hundreds of years, there's not a ''meter'' that tells what art is - and it's a good thing.

Maybe Marred has a 'meter' ? Or maybe meant to write 'I know what art is to me',or should be read that way. Though I guess we all have our own meter, which is really just a opinion.

Also a bit of arrogance could be a good thing...just what one needs to to jump that last hurdle, fuel,motive,belief... Self-belief or self-delusion..there's a fine line... though it's all a way to survive in this crazy world.

nah,there's a difference between deciding what is popular or not and making a choice to buy it or not. And I'm not talking about 'supply and demand' I'm talking about how a product with the support of heavy marketing could look like it is popular and therefor look like a good and needed product.

You said that music companies decide what is popular. That excludes consumers from the process. According to you, because of "heavy marketing", they/we have no role to play and do not deliberate over what to buy and what not to buy. According to you, we buy what we're told to buy because we're told to buy it.

If an entertainer is someone who wears shoes most of the time, then yes M in that way is no different than other entertainers. Though people can be 'entertained' in so many different ways and they will find a difference between M and a different entertainer who also wears shoes because they need that difference of entertainment to be entertained.

I'm not saying he's identical to every other entertainer/celebrity in every respect. That'd be silly. He is the same, though, in that he makes products for the purpose of entertaining people in the hope of being able to secure sales. Like other purveyors of goods and services (like, say, computer manufacturers or car insurance companies), he aims to give his products a "unique selling point", but that doesn't mean that what he's selling isn't a product, sold for the purpose of profit.

Can't expect a 'product' to stay the same, for then it goes bad. M is always fresh and tasty. He no longer needs to reel around the fountain when he could just as easily demand to be kissed a lot. So which would you prefer? I think you would prefer a much needed kiss rather than play these games.

The products he used to make were worth buying, but now they're not. Music companies recognise this and most consumers do too.

I am an artist. I know what art is. Morrissey is an artist. He doesn't do our taxes or fix our pipes. He expresses himself through the medium of song.
Usually when someone rants on with the if you sell your stuff in the commercial arena then you're not an artist bullshit chances are they are not an artist themselves and therefore have no idea what they are talking about.

Your indignation is hilarious! I couldn't have hoped for more.

"I'm an artist! I'm an artist! Morrissey is an artist too! Me and Morrissey, we're the same! We're not just common tradesmen who fix pipes for a living! We're different! We're special, damn it! Mum, tell them!!!!"

I can't help but think of you stamping your little foot as you were typing. Thank you, you've brightened my afternoon considerably. :)

By the way, my neighbour's dog seems to think he's human, but everyone else knows he's just a dog. Are we wrong?

You said that music companies decide what is popular. That excludes consumers from the process. According to you, because of "heavy marketing", they/we have no role to play and do not deliberate over what to buy and what not to buy. According to you, we buy what we're told to buy because we're told to buy it.

I'm not saying he's identical to every other entertainer/celebrity in every respect. That'd be silly. He is the same, though, in that he makes products for the purpose of entertaining people in the hope of being able to secure sales. Like other purveyors of goods and services (like, say, computer manufacturers or car insurance companies), he aims to give his products a "unique selling point", but that doesn't mean that what he's selling isn't a product, sold for the purpose of profit.

The products he used to make were worth buying, but now they're not. Music companies recognise this and most consumers do too.

some people just like to argue :lbf:You're so funny, quite the 'entertainer' , now only if you had a product to sell so you would be somewhere other than here twisting what people say in order to prove that you're 'right', which you're not.

:tiphat:

some people just like to argue :lbf:You're so funny, quite the 'entertainer' , now only if you had a product to sell so you would be somewhere other than here twisting what people say in order to prove that you're 'right', which you're not.

:tiphat:

Are you an entertainer?! Are you a funny entertainer?! Cos unless you are, you have no idea what you're talking about. That's how epistemology works - apparently.

Oh, and I am "'right'" ;)

No. It isn't.
If he says he is an artist and feels that way, he is an artist.
I believe him. Arrogance has nothing to do with it.
It has to do with honesty being felt like arrogance by people.
Maybe it has to do with acquiring a certain kind of attitude.
But based on that feeling of being an artist.

" There isn't a general consensus what ''art'' is exactly for hundreds of years, there's not a ''meter'' that tells what art is - and it's a good thing.[/QUOTE]"

This is a very good argument.
Art is short for artificial as opposed to natural.
Meaning of course made by human beings.

As there is no meter that tells us what art is, and I agree with you that's a good thing, it still is one of, (or maybe the last) areas in human life where there is freedom.

Meaning, anyone, anywhere, can jump in and create art.
There are no rules. Don't let ayone say to you there is.
You make up your own rules.

There are codes, of course, unwritten rules by influential voices, but a true artist doesn't follow those codes.
He or she creates his own/her rules.

Cheers

Your indignation is hilarious! I couldn't have hoped for more.

"I'm an artist! I'm an artist! Morrissey is an artist too! Me and Morrissey, we're the same! We're not just common tradesmen who fix pipes for a living! We're different! We're special, damn it! Mum, tell them!!!!"

I can't help but think of you stamping your little foot as you were typing. Thank you, you've brightened my afternoon considerably. :)

By the way, my neighbour's dog seems to think he's human, but everyone else knows he's just a dog. Are we wrong?
Anonymous IP Hash: c47cb71012 please let us know when you get the help you need. I lose sleep worrying about you.

Last edited:
If it's arrogant for an artist to say they know what art is then so be it. If a scientist says he knows his stuff people just accept it. Apart from the climate change unbelievers that is.

Last edited:

Well done IP Hash: c47cb71012. You've worked out how the laws of supply and demand work. Congratulations. Do you actually think about this stuff before you start typing or does the magic just flow spontaneously? If you don't buy his products anymore what are you doing here, other than spreading your... wisdom?

In the clip posted today the interviewer asked Johnny Marr how he got into music. He replied that he’s always loved music and playing the guitar, and then one day when he was watching a band he realised that music was a profession and, to quote “These people are getting paid for it. I thought, if this is a profession, why would I ever want to do anything else?”.

Just saying.

In the clip posted today the interviewer asked Johnny Marr how he got into music. He replied that he’s always loved music and playing the guitar, and then one day when he was watching a band he realised that music was a profession and, to quote “These people are getting paid for it. I thought, if this is a profession, why would I ever want to do anything else?”.

Just saying.
Other than people getting paid for their professions which isn't news, what is your point?

Just replying.

Other than people getting paid for their professions which isn't news, what is your point?

Just replying.

He realized he didn't want to do anything else.
I was looking for a job and than I found a job and heaven knows I'm miserable now was not a sentiment only so well expressed by Moz but by Johnny Marr too. That's why his guitarplaying on that song is so wonderful too. :thumb:

Anonymous IP Hash: c47cb71012 please let us know when you get the help you need. I lose sleep worrying about you.

Oh come now! I'm quite sure that, as an artist, sleeplessness isn't an uncommon experience for you. I bet you probably spend most nights laying awake, staring into the dark abyss, tortured. None of this 9-5 shit for you; you're an artist.

It's difficult to express to those who do not live in Australia just how much of a scumbag Joyce is.

At every turn, he has cackled his way through injustice after injustice in the name of protecting the "battlers" of our country - despite the overwhelming majority of Australia s being regularly disgusted by the realities of live export.

Our previous Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, was a close ally of Joyce's and a certain Mr Murdoch. He succeeded in lowering the national conversation on virtually all counts by politicising issues of conscience like this and climate change. God knows how far these men have set us back.

Don't be fooled by Joyce's 'matter of fact' tone - it's his schtick. He performs for the rougher element amongst us, the working class, in order to appear all folsky and larrikin-like, much like a certain potential despot in the States currently running for office.

Joyce knows about Morrissey, he would've had this response prepared a couple of years ago. People like Joyce think they have Moz's number, but they're wrong. They also think that their lies and thuggery will prevail. They're wrong again. What's tragic is the suffering that has been made inevitable during their ugly little reign.

Joyce is the lowest of the low. We need to be grateful for people like Moz for standing up to him and challenging him publicly - something which our own media constantly ail to do effectively.

Bravo.

"People like Joyce think they have Moz's number, but they're wrong"

Well the other Joyce might have had many, many years ago for a very limited period of time. Of the faxmachine.
He hates the phone.
Maybe he has one now, only to receive text messages and email with the sound off.
Would there be a ringtone on it?
Judy is a punk? Anyone?

I guess his phone number changes daily and he has a pool of numbers provided by the provider, and only a very strict number of his contacts receive an automatic update.

So what? People express fairly constantly. It mostly isn't art, though.

If only Morrissey felt the same, you might've had some new music to listen to by now.

Are you familiar with websites like YouTube? Soundcloud? There's quite a lot of "expression" going on there.

And some you might like and consider it to be good art and some you dislike and would therefore consider it to be bad art.
All depending on YOUR taste.

But why should something you dislike suddenly be no art at all?
Sometimes I get the feeling that there is an unnecessary, almost holy respect for art. Like some kind of religious ritual. Which reminds me of course of Moz.
But the standards than are unclear.

Even all kind of moralistic arguments are being made.
My standard is my own taste. If I like it it's good art. If I don't than it's bad art. I have the freedom to do that. And mind you, I do have a broad taste and can appreciate many, many different types of art. And it doesn't leave me puzzled about what good art is or no art at all, which I don't have a name for.

Oh come now! I'm quite sure that, as an artist, sleeplessness isn't an uncommon experience for you. I bet you probably spend most nights laying awake, staring into the dark abyss, tortured. None of this 9-5 shit for you; you're an artist.
You're thinking of plumbers.

Last edited:
And some you might like and consider it to be good art and some you dislike and would therefore consider it to be bad art.
All depending on YOUR taste.

But why should something you dislike suddenly be no art at all?
Sometimes I get the feeling that there is an unnecessary, almost holy respect for art. Like some kind of religious ritual. Which reminds me of course of Moz.
But the standards than are unclear.

Even all kind of moralistic arguments are being made.
My standard is my own taste. If I like it it's good art. If I don't than it's bad art. I have the freedom to do that. And mind you, I do have a broad taste and can appreciate many, many different types of art. And it doesn't leave me puzzled about what good art is or no art at all, which I don't have a name for.

Even when I still enjoyed Morrissey's music, I never felt the need to call it "art".

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom