Murray Chalmers (Morrissey's ex-manager) posts image on Instagram from "Another time, another place"

Link from an anonymous person:

murraychalmers: Another time, another place. I’ve found so many cards and notes from him including some great ones where we were trying to get in touch with Charles Hawtrey. I eventually phoned Charles Hawtrey and Mr H wasn’t at all happy.Didn’t know i had kept all this stuff!

full

Last edited:
Quite.

Hook End Romper Room to-day {or 3 years ago}...

View attachment 56753

If sadism is your bag, then enjoy this video...

Agreed, "Ouija Board, Ouija Board " was a nigh perfect capture of The Quiff, although, if í am being brutally frank, the opening incarnation is a shade too...DA/Mark Lamarr, for my liking.
But once the golden urchins are dragging him through the woods, it's all fine and dandy again.

The next Broad carry on ~ "November Spawned A Monster" ~ is, IMHO, the never-bested, ultimate rendering of Le Quiff on film. Perhaps due to the barren parched setting, the Pompadour is all one has to focus on. That, and his blouse. í wore that tape clean, it was so filthy...

One other point though about The Smiths years; it does always help, í think, if you position yourself as much as possible alongside a useful friend who, guitar-god-genius though he is, has barely had an acceptable hairdo for longer than a fortnight his entire adult life...? :tiphat:

I've seen the Hook End footage before and have been day-dreaming about trespassing and entering while it was still abandoned (in hope of catching some of that supernatural energy maybe?).

I have nothing to add concerning November Spawned A Monster. An eternal classic.

Regarding the "useful friend"... All I'm going to say is that they complimented each other very nicely (and even started dressing alike at a certain point) but Morrissey was obviously the stunning one.
In that clip I posted, he could sell a lawnmower to me including spare parts, I would buy it without hesitation and I don't even have a lawn to mow.

It's also interesting to compare this performance to the Playboys TotP performance. He went from gay lumberjack to smokey-eyed goth Moz in just one year.

That was the first time
I’ve seen him wearing a plaid shirt. And to be honest it kind of put me off.

At the time I actually thought the plaid shirt looked stranger on him than the black see through top he wore in the November video :lbf:

That was the first time
I’ve seen him wearing a plaid shirt. And to be honest it kind of put me off.

At the time I actually thought the plaid shirt looked stranger on him than the black see through top he wore in the November video :lbf:

I think plaid didn't make a return until 1992? The Tomorrow video comes to mind and also this NME shoot by Kevin Cummins
gettyimages-85592301-612x612.jpg

and a bit later this gorgeous shoot (take note of the white at the sides, that will miraculously disappear in 1993/94)

gettyimages-85341688-1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
One other point though about The Smiths years; it does always help, í think, if you position yourself as much as possible alongside a useful friend who, guitar-god-genius though he is, has barely had an acceptable hairdo for longer than a fortnight his entire adult life...? :tiphat:

Heresy. I loved that girl-group bouffant, the quiff, even the shaggier Brian Jones thing he had going on..

bouffant.jpg
quiff jm.jpg
johnny hair.jpg
BTTT.jpg

Johnny saved his worst hair disasters for the post-Smiths years... these being particularly notable, dear God.

awful hair.jpg
healers.jpg

Heresy. I loved that girl-group bouffant, the quiff, even the shaggier Brian Jones thing he had going on..

View attachment 56757View attachment 56758View attachment 56759View attachment 56761

Johnny saved his worst hair disasters for the post-Smiths years... these being particularly notable, dear God.

View attachment 56760View attachment 56762

The quiff was - predictably - my favourite.
I liked both the early version ~1983
b31d4aea8677a44886933c2e636d66c8.jpg

and the "final" version ("final" in the sense that this was one of if not the last photoshoots the band ever did)
LW_SMITHS_14.jpg

He looked good at that time, perhaps because his hair didn't cover half of his face? ?

View attachment 56757View attachment 56758View attachment 56759View attachment 56761

View attachment 56760View attachment 56762

Perhaps í was a tad harsh on the boy. And who could compete with a friend who had The Greatest Hair in Pop for over half the '80s? In isolation they don't seem damnably naff.

Perhaps...perhaps...that was the true reason behind The Split?
"í tried every hairdo known to man, m'Lud,...and a few known to ladies too...and they still looked shit next to my co-plaintiff. After 5 years, í could stand it no more. í just had to break free...and stand next to Matt Johnson, Barney, and the rest. í thought í had hit the bloody jackpot when í saw The Cribs..."

...Follicle Differences?

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom