Name three

Danielledelu

girl least likely to
If you were trying to turn someone on to Morrissey/Smiths What three songs would you play for them?

Sadly, most of my friends first got hooked to There is a Light ... so, I guess that one should stick.

If I was trying to get someone to casually like The Smiths I would probably stick with the classics such as How Soon is Now, Shoplifters, This Charming man, What difference does it make?

If I was trying to get someone to casually like Morrissey I would play stuff like Everyday is like Sunday, Sister I'm a Poet, The First of the gang to die, You have killed me or something from the Vauxhall and I era.

Once you get them to like those (hmm ... looking for the right expression) tracks that are more familiar to the general public I would make endless compilations with songs for different moods and levels of Smiths/Moz affection.

I guess it's always best to start with songs that you liked first. My first big hit was Bigmouth Strikes Again and it always worked with people I know!

Sadly, most of my friends first got hooked to There is a Light ... so, I guess that one should stick.

If I was trying to get someone to casually like The Smiths I would probably stick with the classics such as How Soon is Now, Shoplifters, This Charming man, What difference does it make?

If I was trying to get someone to casually like Morrissey I would play stuff like Everyday is like Sunday, Sister I'm a Poet, The First of the gang to die, You have killed me or something from the Vauxhall and I era.

Once you get them to like those (hmm ... looking for the right expression) tracks that are more familiar to the general public I would make endless compilations with songs for different moods and levels of Smiths/Moz affection.

I guess it's always best to start with songs that you liked first. My first big hit was Bigmouth Strikes Again and it always worked with people I know!

Wow good answer.. That makes a lot of sense. I know what you mean, those are the songs I started liking first then I grew into the other songs
<3

Suedehead
Speedway
Tomorrow

Well, it would have to be the classics...I guess Charming Man, Sunday, and...should I pick a Moz or Smiths song?

Actually, can I do three of each? If so, it would be:

1)Charming man
2)Girlfriend in a coma
3)Asleep

1) Sunday
2) Irish blood
3) The loop? Or maybe Fatty?

Aw crap, this is too hard...
I actually have some friends who think they hate The Smiths, and it's for all the wrong reasons - they've heard only a few songs in clubs, and they think Smiths are too jangly and cheerful and not serious enough! :D they hated Girlfriend In A Coma and Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others - and Girlfriend In a Coma is def. not the song I'd play to someone to make them like The Smiths! I'm sure they'd hate Fatty as well.

I will make them listen to the entire Smiths back catalog on my mp3 disc, but if I had to play them 3 songs:

The Smiths
1. I Know It's Over
2. Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me
3. Still Ill
other possible choices: There Is a Light That Never Goes Out, These Things Take Time, Half A Person, Well I Wonder, That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, This Night Has Opened My Eyes, Hand In Glove, Barbarism Begins At Home, How Soon Is Now (but one of them already knows it and likes it the other one might have heard it too)...

Morrissey
1. Jack The Ripper (preferably both versions :) )
2. November Spawned A Monster
3. I Have Forgiven Jesus
possibly: I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday, Suedehead, Interesting Drug, Piccadilly Palare, Irish Blood English Heart, Late Night, Maudlin Street, The Last Of The Famous International Playboys, Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together, Yes, I Am Blind, Break Up The Family, You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side, Seasick Yet Still Docked...

yes, I deliberately put emphasis on the sadder songs - it would be different if I had to do the same with someone who thinks The Smiths are too 'miserable"!

Now My Heart Is Full.
Life Is A Pigsty.
Southpaw.

All human life is held therein.

I know it's a bit too mainstream these days for hardened Smiths veterans like ourselves to endorse it, but This Charming Man hardly ever fails when you're attempting a Moz conversion.

* How Soon Is Now? (Because a lot of people know it, like it and don't know who did it, I find)
* There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (not in my top 10, but I know I'm wayyy in the minority on this one)
* Girlfriend In A Coma (see above)

* Every Day Is Like Sunday
* Life Is A Pigsty
* You're The One For Me, Fatty.

Not necessarily my favourites...

Although it depends. I got into him because my best friend played me I Have Forgiven Jesus and Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now.

How Soon Is Now?
(No comment needed).

William, It Was Really Nothing
(Catchy and evrything, plus I love it).

Meat Is Murder
(Well, it seems like I know to many vegetarians/vegans/straight edge).

Spring-Heeled Jim
(Would show the "Introducing Morrissey" perfomance, it's so mighty).

Everyday Is Like Sunday
(Poetic and dreaming, touch most people).

I Know It' Gonna Happen Someday
(So unusal in many ways, to show him from another perspective).

Strange selection, I know. As you can see I haven't been able to convert anyone yet.

I'd probably start with 'Suedehead', then 'The Boy With The Thorn In His Side' and lastly, 'First Of The Gang To Die'. All designed to bounce around in your head in a really annoying fashion, and all vaguely familier to most people.

*Bigmouth (jingle-jangle-lovable)
*Cemetry Gates (jingle-jangle-lovable)
*Miserable Lie or Pretty Girls Make Graves, I don't remember which came first

*Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
*Girl Least Likely To (lifted, so what)
*Roy's Keen (inexplicable)

I used this opportunity for some introspection and tried to remember what were the first songs that.. well, infected me, let's call a spade a spade :rolleyes:
But honestly I doubt this would be the perfect selection for converting people to SM (calling a spade a spade again :D )

1. PANIC - the mixture between strong lyrics & the catchy poppy melody make a good song to get into the smiths/morrissey

2. bigmouth strikes again

3. i know it's over....includes the line which is oh so true..."she needs you more than she loves you...."

Everyday Is Like Sunday
Speedway
Trouble Loves Me

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
I Know It's Over
This Charming Man

The Smtihs

1. How soon is now ?
2. There is a light that never goes out
3. Stop me if you think you've heard this one before

Morrissey

1. Now my heart is full