New feature (on hold): "Comment" on post

Hi David, all seems to be working normally except I'm getting notifications on every single post Light Housework makes! This has just started happening in the last 6 hours or so.
Can you send me the notifications or a screenshot? Trying to figure out how that it is not expected.

I'll consider it. For compatibility with the comments I needed to go with the new Recent Posts widget. I didn't know anyone clicked on "Show More" on the old one. Anyone else prefer the old one?

I have put back the expanded version of the old "Recent Posts" on the forums page for now. https://www.morrissey-solo.com/forums/
I preferred the old way.

Can you send me the notifications or a screenshot? Trying to figure out how that it is not expected.
It seems to have stopped now (but perhaps that's just because LH has stopped posting?)

1589548236781.png

None of these were related to posts of mine. There are two from her further up the list of alerts which were intended for me, however, when she responded to my post about the problem.

1589548455462.png

Anyway, like I say, it's not doing it at the moment, so I can let you know if it starts up again.

Thanks, investigating. I'm assuming you are 'watching' those threads listed in which case the notifications may be correct. It should notify once when someone posts if you haven't read the thread and then again if something is posted after you have read the thread.

It seems to have stopped now (but perhaps that's just because LH has stopped posting?)

View attachment 56470
None of these were related to posts of mine. There are two from her further up the list of alerts which were intended for me, however, when she responded to my post about the problem.

View attachment 56471
Anyway, like I say, it's not doing it at the moment, so I can let you know if it starts up again.

Thanks, investigating. I'm assuming you are 'watching' those threads listed in which case the notifications may be correct. It should notify once when someone posts if you haven't read the thread and then again if something is posted after you have read the thread.
I have never knowingly 'watched' a thread - is this something that happens automatically if I make a post in it?

Wait, did I just imagine that FWD sent me a post asking about this?? :unsure: It seems to have disappeared!
He was asking where the link took me in the notification if I clicked on it. So for the post in the 'What song are you listening to right now?' thread at 08.40, it took me to this comment on The Chameleon's post above it.

1589550042560.png

Up to you if you want notifications on those threads. It might just be the first comment triggered the initial alert but things go back to normal now. Please let me know if more unexpected alerts come in, thanks!

Ah, okay. Mine looks like this:

View attachment 56475
So should I be un-checking those boxes? Weird that it's only doing it with LH, though.

Yes, I nixed my investigation bit as the watch explanation was what was first thought.
Go here https://www.morrissey-solo.com/watched/threads
And report anything thats there :)
Regards,
FWD.
Ah, okay. It looks like I'm watching dozens! I didn't realise. But if I change my preferences, will I still get notifications if someone posts or comments on my post, or references me? Sorry if this sounds dense, I am not great at this stuff.

Up to you if you want notifications on those threads. It might just be the first comment triggered the initial alert but things go back to normal now. Please let me know if more unexpected alerts come in, thanks!
Okay, thanks David.

Ah, okay. It looks like I'm watching dozens! I didn't realise. But if I change my preferences, will I still get notifications if someone posts or comments on my post, or references me? Sorry if this sounds dense, I am not great at this stuff.
Yes, it's how mine is set up.
Only getting notification/alerts about things regarding myself directly.
I've inadvertently clicked watch on a thread and then the notifications go haywire. You can see if you are following anything that will notify you incessantly via the link previously or just under each OP post there is a watch button - which will say unwatch if you are following/wanting notifications for any & every post on that thread.
I'd get your settings (as per David's post) how you want then unwatch everything in that list you've just seen and it should be fine at that point.
Regards,
FWD.

Yes, it's how mine is set up.
Only getting notification/alerts about things regarding myself directly.
I've inadvertently clicked watch on a thread and then the notifications go haywire. You can see if you are following anything that will notify you incessantly via the link previously or just under each OP post there is a watch button - which will say unwatch if you are following/wanting notifications for any & every post on that thread.
I'd get your settings (as per David's post) how you want then unwatch everything in that list you've just seen and it should be fine at that point.
Regards,
FWD.
Okay, many thanks FWD.

The older "Recent Posts" format is restored. The Comments feature has been pulled due to various issues and initial lack of interest. Will revisit possibly in the future.

Hi David, hope you’re doing well during these strange times.

off topic, but...

Is it possible to bring back the other ‘recent posts’ display that’s on the bottom of the home page?

This new display is just messy, showing all recent posts to the same thread. And when you click the ‘show more’ it brings you to another page.

The one prior was far better.

I preferred the old way.

The older "Recent Posts" format is restored. The Comments feature has been pulled due to various issues and initial lack of interest. Will revisit possibly in the future.
Thanks for doing that. I found the new format a little perturbing. I hadn't realised just how much I use the Recent Posts box for site navigation.

Back
Top Bottom