New Marr interview in today's NME

Re: Full interview here

Ooohh Uncleskinny!!! I really really thank you so much!!

It was really a treat to read that interview and I value so much your typing effort.

I'm curious about this one:

Q: Never trust anyone...
A: Whose sideburns are a different colour from the rest of their hair. I don't need to explain that one.

What he was talking about??

Paulie from The Sopranos??

sigler06.jpg

Or.... Or....

1153605511_0.jpg

:eek:

what are: winklepicker shoes?

judge, you've met Johnny few weeks ago...:eek:

I might be wrong, but Johnny doesn't dye his hair.

I'm a huge fan of Johnny Marr as a player and a person, and am prepared to make reasonable allowances for what seems like a fairly good-natured conversation, with attendant levels of vocal irony.

But this is still the smuggest damn thing I have read in months. It is a smugness tornado.

You HAVE just made an important piece of music, dude, you don't need this. And wtf with the ties?

Last edited:
I read the forums on the Guardian, and since last week there's been a subject called "Johnny Marr's History of Modern Britain, where everything that went wrong is Morrissey's fault". Even people casually interested in The Smiths are starting to see him as a man with a grudge. He needs to step back from it all and retain his dignity.

Hello Jones. Can you post a link to that...

Thanks, Uncle Skinny! I really enjoyed reading that...and procrastinating.

Anyroad, I don't think Marr comes off badly or especially sour. I think he's just honest. Why shouldn't he talk about the Smiths, the good and the bad? Overall, I still get the feeling he's enormously proud of the Smiths, as he should be.

Ooohh Uncleskinny!!! I really really thank you so much!!

It was really a treat to read that interview and I value so much your typing effort.

I'm curious about this one:

Q: Never trust anyone...
A: Whose sideburns are a different colour from the rest of their hair. I don't need to explain that one.

What he was talking about??

Paulie from The Sopranos??

sigler06.jpg

Or.... Or....

1153605511_0.jpg

:eek:

You beat me to it!!!!

Wear a tie onstage.

and never lend a drummer money! Ha Ha

Ad yes I agree everyone should try psychedelics. You immeasurably change after your first tab! One thousand and one um well ur. I can still write you know..

Marr's (let's face it) big-headed attitude would be understandable if he'd continued to put out top-notch songs.
He had the ultimate chance to prove himself on his very own album (Johnny Marr's Heaters) with him providing music, words and singing. But we ended up with a batch of songs that sounded like discarded Charlatans b-sides from 1993!
If he's still a genius, why doesn't he have 15,000 people singing along to The Heaters' songs the way Moz gets that many going bonkers to First of the Gang?

Marr clearly remains a fascinating figure. An obviously talented guitarist and an erudite interviewee. But it would appear as if his days of genius songwriting are long, long gone...

2) Wear winklepicker shoes.
3) Wear a tie onstage.
4) Have a fringe that faces North instead of South. (a Quiff, presumably :rolleyes:)

Peter

Oh Johnny, put a sock in it...

Marr's (let's face it) big-headed attitude would be understandable if he'd continued to put out top-notch songs.
He had the ultimate chance to prove himself on his very own album (Johnny Marr's Heaters) with him providing music, words and singing. But we ended up with a batch of songs that sounded like discarded Charlatans b-sides from 1993!
If he's still a genius, why doesn't he have 15,000 people singing along to The Heaters' songs the way Moz gets that many going bonkers to First of the Gang?

Marr clearly remains a fascinating figure. An obviously talented guitarist and an erudite interviewee. But it would appear as if his days of genius songwriting are long, long gone...

if only he could produce something to equal the musical & lyrical majesty of "my love life"

Q: Before they die, everyone should...
A: Try psychedelic drugs at least once. It's philosophically and psychologically liberating to find out that we wander round with these huge egos, when we're actually monkey-brained primates, when all's said and done. We're not the be all and end all, and that's healthy to know.

How can he have the cheek to say its "healthy to know" something then recommend drugs?! the arsehole. DONT TAKE DRUGS KIDS. Morrissey doesnt take them and is more successful then jonny marsbar features. enough said. Plus marrs stuck in the 90s with liam gallager and and all those glow sticks!

HE said "once." Even dear old Mogsy has been known to be "bang on one, nice one, top one, get sorted" in his time (Q interview 1992) Wonder if herubbed vaseline.... NO DON'T GO THERE!!!!

Morrissey is stuck in 1972 but none of us seem to mind!

if only he could produce something to equal the musical & lyrical majesty of "my love life"

But Morrissey doesn't write the music. If First Of The Gang To Die is so catchy, it is mostly because of the music, me thinks.

Last edited:
HE said "once." Even dear old Mogsy has been known to be "bang on one, nice one, top one, get sorted" in his time (Q interview 1992) Wonder if herubbed vaseline.... NO DON'T GO THERE!!!!

Morrissey is stuck in 1972 but none of us seem to mind!

Johnny Marr has been quite open about the ten years he spent in a studio taking drugs with Bernard Sumner. He and Bernard have even boasted about it on occasion.

Probably the main reason his career hasn't been as "healthy" as he'd like.

Back
Top Bottom