new music is awful

New music is indeed awful. The state of music today is worrying, but it has been so for the last 5-10 years. Although it seems I'm very much alone in my disdain for new music nowadays. How people can choose listening to, say, the Ting Tings over The Kinks is beyond me. But enough of my ranting.

I checked out your myspace. Usually when I check out people's myspaces, thundering indie talentless crap blasts out at me from my speakers and I give it about 30 seconds before making up my mind up about it. However, I was pleasantly surprised by what I heard. I'll be honest, none of it was "groundbreaking" for want of a better word. But it was easy on the ear. I felt like I was actually listening to songs - instead of just "indie" noise - and I liked the fact that you sing naturally. I've listened to the songs a few times and I've found that they grow on me a lot. I particularly enjoy "Where were spring", I think thats excellent actually, very Morrissey-esque.

Have you beaten Vauxhall and I? I think you already know the answer to that :lbf: I thought what I heard though was really quite different from a lot of stuff I hear nowadays. I would advise - if I may be so bold - to try get better recordings, the lyrics at times could be hard to hear, and for me anyway, hearing what the singer is saying is important. Pleasant songs though, I enjoyed them. Being from Glasgow myself maybe I should try go see a gig of yours :thumb: Nice work.

There does seem to be alot of rubbish out there. Reality music programs, twitter and other internet sources seem to put the music at the bottom of the priority list.

However, I have just seen Brett Anderson live in London, Berlin, Munich, Paris and Manchester and was blown away by these shows. The last Jarvis Cocker album was good but these two examples are by artists who have been around for over 20 years.

What the modern batch of "muso's" is dishing up is erm......well.

However, I have just seen Brett Anderson live in London, Berlin, Munich, Paris and Manchester and was blown away by these shows. The last Jarvis Cocker album was good but these two examples are by artists who have been around for over 20 years.

Off topic, I know, but I saw Brett Anderson at King Tuts in Glasgow on Tuesday night - I thought he was utterly brilliant. Ok I am an old skool Suede fan so I am utterly biased but the new arrangements of his solo work were great and his charisma has not dimmed one iota over the years - I was blown away!

Again:)

Plenty of good new music and BBC6 music is the place to find it.

Off topic, I know, but I saw Brett Anderson at King Tuts in Glasgow on Tuesday night - I thought he was utterly brilliant. Ok I am an old skool Suede fan so I am utterly biased but the new arrangements of his solo work were great and his charisma has not dimmed one iota over the years - I was blown away!

Again:)

Sounds smashing. x

grinning like a cheshire cat, ta for the kind words :blushing:...
there are two score more to follow, we've drums and everything....

obviously MOZ is a huge inspiration.

hailing from hale (the real Moz realm of Manchester), i contemplated waiting outside the 'as nature intended' organic foodstore to meet the man himself...
suffice to say, it closed down (the fresh orange was a fiver a pop).. but, y'know, the sentiment was there....

the man with the brown paper bag.

Very impressive, theboywho- the songs are really good, with an interesting sound. Despite the noticeable Moz influence, it's also very original. 'L'uomo con il sacco di carta marrone' was a personal highlight, and sounds quite Libertines-esque (that's a big compliment, by the way). :) 'Grace Instinct' is great too.

Last edited:
I've been saying this for ages....

I listened to a few songs. Very good. Sounds like a mellower Orange Juice demo crossed with Billy Bragg. And yes, that's a compliment. :)

Back
Top Bottom