New single - "Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage"; first play on Jeremy Vine show

UPDATE Nov. 7:

Link to pre-order limited edition 7" (Dec. 8 release date) posted by an anonymous person:

Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up on the Stage / You'll Be Gone (Live) - Norman Records

Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s On Stage is the second single to be taken from Morrissey's Low In High School album, his first since 2014, which is being met with a mix of excited anticipation and ambivalence. It will be backed with a live version of You’ll Be Gone. Limited edition 7” on the massive BMG label.

Now on YouTube and other streaming / download services. Link posted by Tbevie:

Also on Spotify as a single:

Jeremy Vine has announced via twitter:

1st play on his show tomorrow 12.00pm - 2.00pm

UPDATE 9:25 PM PT:

Some posts moved to the thread:

"Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage" - sleeve posted on @officialmoz / Twitter

41187_jackys_only_happy_sleeve.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a Jacques Brel cover.

yes of course.

Scott Walker Sings Jacques Brel is a compilation of Jacques Brel compositions recorded by Scott Walker during the period of 1967 to 1969. The compilation brings together all the Brel material that Walker covered on record. Walker additionally performed five Brel songs on his television series including "Alone"; another Brel/Shuman composition... ...

Look, production is top notch, the song is a monster, listen to the difference to the studio production of Speedway and the live version, also noticeable difference. I think the ending is off the chain, best single of the three.

I agree with you about the production. I love the live version but I think the studio version is a bit overproduced.

It seems like everything Joe Chiccarelli touches eventually becomes overproduced. "World Peace..." is notorious for being the only Morrissey album in which the drum sound totally sucks. Matt Walker is such a fine drummer that you don't need to ruin his snare with unnecessary effects. Neal Cassady and Instabul sound so much better live because of non-studio tweaking. Even the live version of Kiss Me a Lot trounces its studio counterpart.

exactly . the beauty of Morrissey albums is that they sounded timeless . they sound as fresh and exciting today as they did when they were first released as opposed to this which is sounding dated already .

If he was trying to put a modern edge to the sound imagine how great it would have been if he had gone with a producer like James Murphy ? Now that would have been interesting . Unfortunately Morrissey seems really stuck in his ways now , hence the lack of new writing partners , same set list tour after tour etc . It's a shame because some of these songs could have been good with the right producer .

Set list is 50% different on this tour. He's got one brand new writing partner for this album (Mando Lopez) and another (Gustavo Manzur) who's written a third of the album having only done contributed 2 songs to a previous album.

I don't remember it (I was too young) but You Are the Quarry must have been such an exciting release period - 4 tracks per 12"/CD single, and most of them bonafide bangers
Yes. Yes it was an exciting time. And back in those days you could queue up for tickets to the shows and purchase them too! Them were the days my friend.

Set list is 50% different on this tour. He's got one brand new writing partner for this album (Mando Lopez) and another (Gustavo Manzur) who's written a third of the album having only done contributed 2 songs to a previous album.

it's only the new album songs that are different in the set and that was obvious. point is all the other songs are exactly the same as previous tours . you would have thought after all this time and with a new album he would have changed the entire set . it's not like he doesn't have enough songs to choose from .

Look, production is top notch, the song is a monster, listen to the difference to the studio production of Speedway and the live version, also noticeable difference. I think the ending is off the chain, best single of the three.

You mean without Gustavo totally making a joke of the song at the end ? Vauxhall had a dreamy beautiful ethereal production this sounds no different to A Harry Styles album sonically

Well I've broken my own rule and actually listened to this proper version.
Pleasantly surprised. Lush orchestration, thoughtful lyrics, pleasing melodies (singing and instrument lines).
The end seemed to drag on a bit but all in all I think it could be an 8/10. Prob won't listen again til the album comes out.

Was just digging around the internet for some info and found:
Perhaps a bit of new news?

"Morrissey is proud to announce the release of the second single to be taken from Low in High School. Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage is available now on all DSPs and as an Instant Grat.

The 7” version of the single will feature a cover of the classic Elvis Presley track ‘You’ll Be Gone’, which Morrissey has been performing live on his current US tour.

The 7” is available to pre order via HMV and independent record stores.

It can also be revealed today, the previously announced 100 Test Pressings available at the album launch pop up shows,
will be signed by Morrissey.
They will be available on a first come, first served basis each day. (40 on Friday and 30 on Saturday and Sunday)."

http://outside-org.co.uk/morrissey-announces-new-single-and-new-london-show/

Are the test pressings being signed news - as I can't recall that being mentioned?
Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
Was just digging around the internet for some info and found:
Perhaps a bit of new news?

"Morrissey is proud to announce the release of the second single to be taken from Low in High School. Jacky’s Only Happy When She’s Up On The Stage is available now on all DSPs and as an Instant Grat. (No it's not - only a couple).

The 7” version of the single will feature a cover of the classic Elvis Presley track ‘You’ll Be Gone’, which Morrissey has been performing live on his current US tour.

The 7” is available to pre order via HMV and independent record stores.
(No, it's not on HMV yet).

It can also be revealed today, the previously announced 100 Test Pressings available at the album launch pop up shows,
will be signed by Morrissey.
They will be available on a first come, first served basis each day. (40 on Friday and 30 on Saturday and Sunday)."

http://outside-org.co.uk/morrissey-announces-new-single-and-new-london-show/

Are the test pressings being signed news - as I can't recall that being mentioned?
Regards,
FWD.

"Are the test pressings being signed news"

Yes! That is news!!!

This thread has quenched my curiosity about production. For me Vauxhall had beautiful production, very dreamy and nostalgic. Quarry on the other hand had a very synthetic and bland production.

So my question is, which Morrissey albums had the best production and which had the worst?

Last edited:
Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom