Nick Cave speaks about Morrissey's tone in Shortlist interview - NME

I wish I could like Nick Cave. I am sure I'm missing out on quite a bit.

Never really listened to Nick Cave. I have a bunch of friends who are big fans. I need to dive a bit into his catalog.

I'd like to read more of his books when I get a chance; I very much enjoyed And the Ass Saw the Angel.

You really are. Have you tried The Boatman's Call? I think it's his most accessible album.

I own that Orpheum double album whatever it's called because I liked the song called Get Ready For Love, but no I haven't heard the Boatman's Call.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds reveal new song 'Give Us A Kiss' – listen - NME

Excerpt:

Speaking to Shortlist about the film, Cave said that he initially needed convincing as he considers many music documentaries to be damaging to their stars...

...One specific artist who does not avoid Cave's sharp tongue was Morrissey, whose book the Australian frontman has not read. "He's a great lyricist, but there's a tone in his voice I find unlistenable. That kind of lugubrious tone. There's the same tone in my voice actually and I find it equally unlistenable."

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Nick Cave . . . 'Straight To You' and 'The Ship Song' are two of my favourite songs ever. He signed my arm when I saw him in Glasgow, and I got it tattooed over. I want Morrissey's signature on the other arm, but that doesn't look it will be happening any time soon.

I truly think he is the best songwriter on the planet at this moment , last album was just genius .... very languid and moody ... but his lyrics are both beautiful and funny .... and his use of the c word is beyond comparison ( kiss me again , rekiss me , then kiss me , slip your frigid hand beneath my shirt , this useless old f***er and his twinkling c*** doesnt care if he gets hurt) His novel " death of bunny munro" is again f***ed up and hilarious. Boatmans call was my introduction and pretty much everything since then is highly recommended .... but all his stuff is never below v.good.

I truly think he is the best songwriter on the planet at this moment , last album was just genius .... very languid and moody ... but his lyrics are both beautiful and funny .... and his use of the c word is beyond comparison ( kiss me again , rekiss me , then kiss me , slip your frigid hand beneath my shirt , this useless old f***er and his twinkling c*** doesnt care if he gets hurt) His novel " death of bunny munro" is again f***ed up and hilarious. Boatmans call was my introduction and pretty much everything since then is highly recommended .... but all his stuff is never below v.good.

Damn right, Cave is one of the best. Very lugubrious tone.....as Cave says.

In my music world he is right there with John Cale, Warren Zevon, Scott Walker, Leonard Cohen.....and Morrissey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn right, Cave is one of the best. Very lugubrious...as Cave says.

In my music world he is right there with John Cale, Warren Zevon, Scott Walker, Leonard Cohen.....and Morrissey.

Warren Zevon is just . . . amazing. I could get lost in Desperadoes Under the Eaves.

I just can't get into his voice, and it seems I'm not the only one :)

This in no way means I can't see why the rest of you like him.

I would agree that not liking Nick Cave's voice would be a pretty big hindrance when comes to getting into Nick Cave. :D

Cave has created a career model Morrissey could learn from. No undue controversy, an invariably good to excellent album every couple of years and a tour to support it, and then he disappears from view again.

The Boatman's Call is my favourite album. It's a beautiful thing so it is nice to hear it mentioned here.

Cave has created a career model Morrissey could learn from. No undue controversy, an invariably good to excellent album every couple of years and a tour to support it, and then he disappears from view again.

The Boatman's Call is my favourite album. It's a beautiful thing so it is nice to hear it mentioned here.

Yes but without controversy Morrissey wouldn't be Morrissey.

Boatman's Call is excellent.....So is Abattoir Blues...Murder Ballads....Dig Lazarus Dig....and on and on...I've got 'em all.

Yes but without controversy Morrissey wouldn't be Morrissey.

Boatman's Call is excellent.....So is Abattoir Blues...Murder Ballads....Dig Lazarus Dig....and on and on...I've got 'em all.

Without the sort of controversy he courts today I think he'd be a better artist. Morrissey's career has long been appraised in terms of before and after the Smiths split. To that I reckon you can add before and after Utoya.

Without the sort of controversy he courts today I think he'd be a better artist. Morrissey's career has long been appraised in terms of before and after the Smiths split. To that I reckon you can add before and after Utoya.

Get over your Utøya obsession. It's just disturbing. I'm Norwegian and I hate to see you - yes, you, and nobody else - feasting on this tragedy over and over again. The whole thing was f***ed up, but it was a minor tragedy compared to a lot of other things going on in the world every day. This is a fact, deal with it and shut up.

Yeah that sounds like great advice. Please try not to be so controversial. How do you come up with this stuff? It's gold!

I wish I could like Nick Cave. I am sure I'm missing out on quite a bit.

Me too. Also his band is the Bad Seeds and Monsanto is really bad seeds for the world so it makes me not want to support him in case he's like a seraphim of evil wrapped up in a sweet indie package. :o

Cave is definitely a top 10 if all time for me. He gets mentioned so often with Morrissey but they still strike me as so different.

Tags
autobiography film lyricist nick cave voice

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom