NME: Johnny Marr - 'The Big Interview' (no Morrissey mentions)

Famous when dead

Vulgarian
The Big Interview: Johnny Marr on Maxine Peak, homelessness, working with Noel Gallagher and his next album.

Johnny Marr and Maxine Peak.jpg

Intro:
"Johnny Marr has been very busy lately – but you’d expect no less from one of the most prolific men in music.

As well as playing live with movie score icon Hans Zimmer and lending his skills to Noel Gallagher‘s latest album ‘Who Built The Moon?‘ (as well as hanging out with him at Man City games), he’s also been working on an album of his own and launched a new project with friend and actress Maxine Peake.

The former Smiths, Cribs, Modest Mouse and The The guitarist turned solo star has teamed up with the award-winning ‘Shameless’, ‘The Village’ and ‘Silk’ actress Peake to deliver a hard-hitting commentary on homelessness."

http://www.nme.com/music-interviews...er-new-album-maxine-peake-hans-zimmer-2206723

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:
"No-one likes hectoring. I think that's as much an infringement of people's choice as fascism." Interesting choice of words.

Some great stuff here. "Noel [Gallagher] has become one of those people who are only known by one name. Like... er... Madonna."

"Noel [Gallagher] has become one of those people who are only known by one name. Like... er... Madonna."

Interesting choice of words. ;)

Johnny with his face of 'determination':rolleyes:, it must be difficult ( in my opinion) for him to accept that he has not yet really created(written) a body of work(album) that can stand side by side with his work done in the Smiths. YES, he has worked on great stuff like, The The(which I love), & some hits with Electronic.

Don't know, wouldn't it be fair to say that unlike Morrissey who has carried the Smiths torch (even with LIHS) that Johnny Marr has become a ....

BROKEN MAN ?

I mean I still hope he will create something as great as the Smiths or as great as what Morrissey has done and does, & of course people will say it's subjective, I still feel when he does produce a great album it will be obvious to anyone with ears that he has finally achieved something that is truly great.

'.. funny how the war goes on ....'

<>

Don't know, wouldn't it be fair to say that unlike Morrissey who has carried the Smiths torch (even with LIHS) that Johnny Marr has become a ....

BROKEN MAN ?

Well, you've certainly become a broken record. Give it a rest, will you? You love everything Morrissey does, and nothing and nobody else can measure up to him - WE GET IT. You don't need to keep slagging off everyone else at every opportunity. You're just as tiresome as those idiots who've said, every time Morrissey has brought out a record since 1988 - "well, it's OK, but it's not as good as 'The Queen is Dead' though, is it?"

Yawn.

"Noel [Gallagher] has become one of those people who are only known by one name. Like... er... Madonna."

Johnny with his face of 'determination':rolleyes:, it must be difficult ( in my opinion) for him to accept that he has not yet really created(written) a body of work(album) that can stand side by side with his work done in the Smiths. YES, he has worked on great stuff like, The The(which I love), & some hits with Electronic.

BROKEN MAN ?

I mean I still hope he will create something as great as the Smiths or as great as what Morrissey has done and does, & of course people will say it's subjective, I still feel when he does produce a great album it will be obvious to anyone with ears that he has finally achieved something that is truly great.

<>
I suspect your definition of broken and mine are a bit different. I agree that Johnny's post-Smiths work has not been as glittering or as towering as we might have expected, which is a bit frustrating, as well as disappointing. But I am sure he never wanted to be Morrissey anyway. I cannot picture Johnny in the same band for years on end, flogging his arse around the world, singing variations on the same set night after night.

I suspect that both Morrissey and Johnny have had pretty much exactly the careers they both wanted, but not necessarily the ones other people think they should have had - and that's the difficult bit to reconcile.

Boycotting the ennemy, [sic] NME, could anyone make a copy/paste of the interview ;)

I would submit that Johnny is completely uninterested in carrying the torch of the Smiths nor in the cult of personality that Morrissey perpetuates. I think it is clear that his body of work is indeed towering and incredible, it's so vast that you can't even see all of it, you'd have to go up into space and look down on it.

BROKEN MAN ?

<>
I enjoyed Johnny's last one more than Low in High School. I found the music compelling and emotive, and the vocals to be pretty good.

Basically, I look at Morrissey and Marr in similar terms to Peter Murphy and Danny Ash. Peter sometimes gets bogged down in his own legend,
and his music and lyrics can turn dull, or pretentious as a result. It's also largely dependent on who he is collaborating with regarding the quality.

Love and Rockets (and T.O.T.) The music is great. Always good stuff out of Daniel Ash. The lyrics can be hit or miss, and his voice isn't quite as rich as Pete's, but it's still good and well suited to the music he creates.

Bauhaus is still better than either Murphy solo or any of Ash's projects.

(And I see what you were trying to convey with your post. ;) )

I enjoyed Johnny's last one more than Low in High School. I found the music compelling and emotive, and the vocals to be pretty good.

Really? I thought the last one was bloody awful. Forgettable, bland music with duff singing and lyrics. Just one decent song on the whole album (Money Money) and even that wasn't great.
The first album (Get the Messenger?) was pretty good though.
He's spent a lot longer putting the new one together (4 years instead of 1) so hopefully the quality of the music at least will be much improved.

Well, you've certainly become a broken record. Give it a rest, will you? You love everything Morrissey does, and nothing and nobody else can measure up to him - WE GET IT. You don't need to keep slagging off everyone else at every opportunity. You're just as tiresome as those idiots who've said, every time Morrissey has brought out a record since 1988 - "well, it's OK, but it's not as good as 'The Queen is Dead' though, is it?"

Yawn.
I agree with her/him totally. I’m not particularly knowledgeable of Morrissey’s music/albums, I got interested in his books. LIHS is beyond fantastic, in fact the best music to hit my ears in 2 decades. Some people are born stars, get over it.

Really? I thought the last one was bloody awful. Forgettable, bland music with duff singing and lyrics. Just one decent song on the whole album (Money Money) and even that wasn't great.
The first album (Get the Messenger?) was pretty good though.
He's spent a lot longer putting the new one together (4 years instead of 1) so hopefully the quality of the music at least will be much improved.
I even enjoyed... Boomslang. Not every song is a keeper on any of his records. Same with Morrissey. Even Vauxhall has "Used to be a Sweet Boy" which is so syrupy you could put it on your pancakes.

I agree with her/him totally. I’m not particularly knowledgeable of Morrissey’s music/albums, I got interested in his books. LIHS is beyond fantastic, in fact the best music to hit my ears in 2 decades. Some people are born stars, get over it.
If you started with List of The Lost and worked your way backwards, then you need to go lie on a couch and ask about prescription medication in addition to the head shrinking.

I even enjoyed... Boomslang. Not every song is a keeper on any of his records. Same with Morrissey. Even Vauxhall has "Used to be a Sweet Boy" which is so syrupy you could put it on your pancakes.

Funnily enough, I'm listening to Boomslang at this very moment. It is now rather expensive to find and own! I personally think it rocks!

Funnily enough, I'm listening to Boomslang at this very moment. It is now rather expensive to find and own! I personally think it rocks!

Is it a collectors item now? Damn. I don't know what happened to my copy. I was kind of wondering, since when he released the Messenger, it was touted as his "first" solo album. It's okay though. Plenty of artists disavow their early outings.

Oh, but Used to be a Sweet Boy has a vicious sting in the tale because he sticks the boot into his parents (or possibly just his dad) at the end. Syrup with hidden arsenic :)

Oh, but Used to be a Sweet Boy has a vicious sting in the tale because he sticks the boot into his parents (or possibly just his dad) at the end. Syrup with hidden arsenic :)
It's still skipped without fail every single time in my life. Same with his cover of Moon River which some people find brilliant. I find it an effective soporific.

Back
Top Bottom