NME: Johnny Marr - 'The Big Interview' (no Morrissey mentions)

FAO a user Peterb, if you have a personal question to a fellow user, please use "conversation" function on your top right.

Thanks.

I think it's pretty strong musically, but like Mick Ronson my other favourite guitarist, he isn't suited to being a front man. Good for him doing what he wants though.

Yes, there is a decent riff in there somewhere, but it gets lost among the Mickey Mouse vocal and lyrics and obscured to the point that it becomes unfocussed. Marr also projects a strangely cliched attitude/persona in his songs that doesn’t ring true. It sounds like some half baked amateur Indie band nonsense to me.

Yes, there is a decent riff in there somewhere, but it gets lost among the Mickey Mouse vocal and lyrics and obscured to the point that it becomes unfocussed. Marr also projects a strangely cliched attitude/persona in his songs that doesn’t ring true. It sounds like some half baked amateur Indie band nonsense to me.

Funnily enough the opposite is true of Morrissey, decent lyrics but mediocre music - maybe they should get together, they may produce something good!

There is more energy in the first 2 mins of Playland than any track on Morrissey's last 2 albums!

Johnny is a guitar master but my God, what is this absolute mess.
"Push a button, ac-tiv-i-tyyy, Down, down down, come alive come alive come alive, a real buzz.." what?
Woeful, he is not even trying.

FAO a user Peterb, if you have a personal question to a fellow user, please use "conversation" function on your top right.

Thanks.

latest

Johnny is a guitar master but my God, what is this absolute mess.
"Push a button, ac-tiv-i-tyyy, Down, down down, come alive come alive come alive, a real buzz.." what?
Woeful, he is not even trying.

Actually, that's the problem. He is trying. Very, very hard. To not be the real Johnny Marr. He's been running from the specter of himself since the day he left the Smiths and he'll never live up to his legend because he's too busy living it down. He calls it progression. I call it self defeat. As the Fine Young Cannibals once sang, Johnny Come Home...

Last edited:
Morrissey is a nice arranger of music imo. It still amazes me that it was his work that still felt familiar and like the smiths minus the intricate details in spots. The structure of the songs was interestingly retained despite not working with Johnny anymore. Even with a large group of collaborators over the years every album still sounds like one body of work

Actually, that's the problem. He is trying. Very, very hard. To not be the real Johnny Marr. He's been running from the specter of himself since the day he left the Smiths and he'll never live up to his legend because he's too busy living it down. He calls it progression. I call it self defeat. As the Fine Young Cannibals once sang, Johnny Come Home...
"He's been running from the specter of himself since the day he left the Smiths".
Swift, please spare us the prose!
(Sorry, I hope this doesn't come across as nasty. It is an affectionate jab).

"He's been running from the specter of himself since the day he left the Smiths".
Swift, please spare us the prose!
(Sorry, I hope this doesn't come across as nasty. It is an affectionate jab).

What comes out, comes out. I don't deny words their life. I thought it was rather tasty. I can even visualize a Rickenbacker wielding young Johnny chasing a Jaguar shielded old Johnny as one yells "Be me!" and the other screams "Never!!"
My God, somebody please draw this.

Last edited:
What comes out, comes out. I don't deny words their life. I thought it was rather tasty. I can even visualize a Rickenbacker wielding young Johnny chasing a Jaguar shielded old Johnny as one yells "Be me!" and the other screams "Never!!"
My God, somebody please draw this.
I liked it, I thought it to be a rather apt description of his post-Smiths self.

Back
Top Bottom