NME: Morrissey's 10 best lyrics

Moz might not be pop’s most charming man, but ever since the Smiths doodled their signature onto the nation’s pencil cases, the quiffed singer has pumping out lyrics that are remarkably easy to get along with – down-hearted yet upbeat, literate yet lively, never less than loveable. Whether they’ve induce tears of laughter, misery, or both at once, these 10 lyrics see Manc’s beloved pop-poet on his fiercest form.

The list on nme.com:
http://www.nme.com/list/morrisseys-10-best-lyrics/378170

They are clearly obsessed with him. It's annoying.

Only Smiths lyrics? I think the NME are suffering from audio myopia.
How about:
'Ill housed and ill advised,
Your face is as mean as your life has been'
from Jack The Ripper.

By the way I heard those lines spoken in an old black and white western years ago. Can't remember the film title or the actors, sorry, but I did hear it because it gave me a happy shock.

- - - Updated - - -

"Again
I lay awake
And I cried because of waste

I'd love to
(But only with you
Only with you)

Oh, time is gonna wipe us out
There, I've said it loud and clear
So that you will hear
There's no one in view
Just you
Just you
And time will never wipe you out "

"Good times for a change
see, the luck I've had
can make a good man
turn bad"

"I'm standing in the dock
With my innocent hand on my heart
I've changed my plea
I've changed my plea to guilty
Because freedom is wasted on me
See how your rules spoil the game

Outside there is a pain
Emotional air raids exhausted my heart
And it's safer to be inside"

They ask me why i love him. I say how can i not love him

:tears:
Flipping hell I didn't know it was 'see how your rules spoil the game'. I thought it was 'see how you're all spoiled again'. I must listen to that song again with new ears. Thanks!

the smiths lyrics are much more clever and composed but I don't know if they mean more to me than solo lyrics which seemed to. November spawned a monster, I have forgiven jesus are just two examples of lyrics that mean a lot to me

Some Cheese Puns Are Bigger Than Others:

Reel Around the Cheeseburger / I Want The Cheese and Onion Sandwich I Can't Have / Last Night I Dreamnt of A Steak and Cheese Pie / Half A Cheese Roll / Sweet and Tender Parmesan

"Cheese,Cheese,Cheese, let me get what I want"

"under the cheese-filled fridge we kissed...."

"you're the one for me, cheesy"

"Cheese-makers of the world, unite and take over"

"all you need is brie"

"i have forgiven Cheesus"

"Cheese Board, Cheese Board, can you help me?"

"world cheese is none of you business"

"share some cream cheese with me"

best
BB

Both morrisseys solo and Smiths work have been nothing short of perfection. Thats why i got so dissapointed when i heard WPINOB album. Granted, i was seeing signs of a downhill fall around swords.

Both morrisseys solo and Smiths work have been nothing short of perfection. Thats why i got so dissapointed when i heard WPINOB album. Granted, i was seeing signs of a downhill fall around swords.

:crazy: What are you talking about? Swords is a compilation of b-sides which stretch from 2003 to 2009. So it can't provide a particular "point".

Far to long chasing your tail

- - - Updated - - -

No its the fact that he even allowed such a album to exist

- - - Updated - - -

:crazy: What are you talking about? Swords is a compilation of b-sides which stretch from 2003 to 2009. So it can't provide a particular "point".

The b-sides in that album were awful. That he did not have the good judgement to scrapp all of them. For feck sakes, he has had twice as good songs that never saw the light of day.
Morrissey B-sides have always been great but swords show that his b-sides were dropping in quality.
Christian dior..... Jeez they should have buried that song like the E.T video games

Last edited by a moderator:
Since The Smiths, Morrissey has gone on to new heights, writing such profoundly moving lyrics as: "kiss me a lot, kiss me a lot, kiss me all over my face."

In fact, these days, Morrissey reminds me very much of another great word smith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkcCBXZHfPw

There is so much more going on in a song than just the lyrics. For example, back in the day I didn't realize that the physical act of singing means so much to Moz. Sure, I could see that he loved being on stage but otherwise ... Maybe I just didn't think about it too much. But since his "comeback" in 2004 and especially in recent years it became very obvious and is captured beautifully in Autobiography. So, in essence, we can argue back and forth about lyrics but at the end of the day the most important thing to Moz is that he can sing sing sing.

It can provide a particular point, from 2003 onwards, i take your crazy smiley and i'll raise it! Booyah :crazy: :crazy:

Since The Smiths, Morrissey has gone on to new heights, writing such profoundly moving lyrics as: "kiss me a lot, kiss me a lot, kiss me all over my face."

In fact, these days, Morrissey reminds me very much of another great word smith: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkcCBXZHfPw

Some people should get a life. One great part of Morrissey's has always been a sense of sillyness and lightness. It's intentional. Point me to the profound lyrics in The Loop. People didn't seem to complain back then. Infact, there was a time when he openly admitted of being sick of the emphasis which had been placed on his words constantly.

Some people should get a life. One great part of Morrissey's has always been a sense of sillyness and lightness. It's intentional. Point me to the profound lyrics in The Loop. People didn't seem to complain back then. Infact, there was a time when he openly admitted of being sick of the emphasis which had been placed on his words constantly.

No no no, as much as i Love the man kiss me alot and WPINOB in general really really sucked. Lacking wit, blatant obvious lyrics, no true emotional connection and over all being just a shell of the mans great work. IT sounds like morrissey was purposely trying to make a Morrissey sounding album.

I saw that album to be morrisseys "a fat cat after a big meal, trying to bat a ball of yarn but just giving up insted" moment

Hope it never happens again. Plus i don't belive Morrissey ever got sick of the emphasis, places on his lyrics, lyrics means everything to Morrissey

Last edited by a moderator:
No no no, as much as i Love the man kiss me alot and WPINOB in general really really sucked. Lacking wit, blatant obvious lyrics, no true emotional connection and over all being just a shell of the mans great work. IT sounds like morrissey was purposely trying to make a Morrissey sounding album.

I saw that album to be morrisseys "a fat cat after a big meal, trying to bat a ball of yarn but just giving up insted" moment

Hope it never happens again. Plus i don't belive Morrissey ever got sick of the emphasis, places on his lyrics, lyrics means everything to Morrissey

World Peace is a fantastic album. You are just mad he isn't the sad, 23 year old writing smiths lyrics anymore.

How about getting lightening up and getting a sense a humour, yourself?

To most it's obvious my former post was just a gag...

Reel around the fondue
Spread cheese on the patio
I'll eat it now

Fifteen mini cheeses with you
Well I wouldn't say no
Some vegans said I had a CrankFraud head
And they were so right

Benny-the-British-Butcher

For there are brighter sides to life and i should know, because I've seen them but not very often"

My all time fav lyric.

I've actually always loved "The Loop" because, while it seems like a very light-hearted song, there are still some very telling lyrics. The first verse seems hopeful, and a little needy..."one day, if you're bored, by all means call me...but only if you want to". However, the second time around, Morrissey changes the word 'if' to 'when (you're bored) which changes the tone of the song, especially when he tells the intended listener that he(Moz) might very well be gone by then. Basically he's saying "too bad, you had your chance with me but you blew it".

Obviously, there has always been a mix of light-hearted lyrics and songs that make you feel as though you've just been punched in the throat. It was that way with the Smiths and it is still that way today. I think that Forgive Someone, Drag the River, Istanbul, and Smiler with Knife are strong examples of Morrissey's continued ability to write lyrics that profoundly affect the audience. I just think that the bar has been set much higher for him, so he is always going to be scrutinized and criticized more harshly.

lynnda

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom