NME: Morrissey's 10 best lyrics

Moz might not be pop’s most charming man, but ever since the Smiths doodled their signature onto the nation’s pencil cases, the quiffed singer has pumping out lyrics that are remarkably easy to get along with – down-hearted yet upbeat, literate yet lively, never less than loveable. Whether they’ve induce tears of laughter, misery, or both at once, these 10 lyrics see Manc’s beloved pop-poet on his fiercest form.

The list on nme.com:
http://www.nme.com/list/morrisseys-10-best-lyrics/378170

They are clearly obsessed with him. It's annoying.

why? So you can be bitter and twisted like they are, still living in 1985, criticising everything morrissey does now

oh f*** off sucking morrisseys dick. whats wrong with liking the early stuff more than the new stuff? and whats wrong with drawing comparisons? U sound bitter and twisted

That joke isn't funny anymore , Benny

What joke ?
The joke that Steven has been eating Dubliner organic cheese for over THIRTY YEARS ! Yes THIRTY 4KIN YEARS and the cheeky B'strd has the nerve to get on stage and start pointing his finger at his audience in disgust whilst singing meat is murder !
And to add insult to injury we get " TTY GLASTONBURY IS NOT ANIMAL FRIENDLY ! Statement and the next thing we know " TTY TOSSERREY WILL HEADLINE THE F Y F FESTIVAL (which if anyone wants to prove me wrong is anything but animal friendly).
There is no compromise at this festival if he is a vegan full stop. None of this bollocks about him being the last act and meat and dairy will be off the menu while he performs. There is no such thing as a part time vegan. It's either animal friendly and he performs OR not animal friendly and he boycotts the event.

THE WORLD IS WATCHING !

WHAT DO YOU NOT GET Satlook ?

It's fookin hilarious, he's been caught napping. " Thirty years is a long time ! "

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Totally agree regarding his intonation and you observe it well.
When I went to Smiths gigs, his falsetto really made an impact on me, but found some of it quite monotone. Of his solo material, I would add the claustrophobic tension of Seasick.... or Lifeguard Sleeping. Wide to Receive segues from vocal loneliness into a haunting wind instrument...I won't go on and on! There are so many songs which I think: if anyone else sang that line, it wouldn't sound right.
The subjective debate about lyric quality (often without factoring in 30 years of aging and change) doesn't really interest me. The way he phrases and emotes his choice of words does. As you quite rightly observe, this skill of his can often lift a song and enhance it no end.
Kind regards,
FWD

How did I forget about Lifeguard Sleeping?! You're exactly right. I'm interested to know what you thought of World Peace it terms of vocals and intonation, because to me it really stands out - I felt nothing for One of Our Own at first, but listening to it for it's vocal qualities turns it into something incredible.

How did I forget about Lifeguard Sleeping?! You're exactly right. I'm interested to know what you thought of World Peace it terms of vocals and intonation, because to me it really stands out - I felt nothing for One of Our Own at first, but listening to it for it's vocal qualities turns it into something incredible.

Having caught 3 recent gigs, I was pleased to see people enjoying the new songs. I know it's a love or hate thing here, but I enjoyed WPINOYB. Neal Cassidy was powerful live, Staircase was well received. I'm Not A Man I particularly liked live. Kiss Me A Lot was also good live and crowd response was great to this - just a shame there was no physical release (insert muttering under my breath here!). The album as a whole, I enjoyed. Unfortunately, the concrete thinkers amongst us refuse to understand subjective concepts such as like and dislike and enjoy telling people how wrong they are to partake of this album. It has some interesting instrumentation and his voice sounds excellent on it. There seems to be particular attention paid to creating 'hooks' as they call them these days - i.e. catchy choruses that would translate well to radio if given the chance. The songs you highlight certainly support this. I think everyone is pretty different to their 25 year old self when they are 50 and his vocals actually appear to have benefited rather than suffered. I would be more worried if he had churned out TQID clones for 30 years. WPINOYB, release issues aside, is a pretty good album to my ears,
Regards,
FWD

Having caught 3 recent gigs, I was pleased to see people enjoying the new songs. I know it's a love or hate thing here, but I enjoyed WPINOYB. Neal Cassidy was powerful live, Staircase was well received. I'm Not A Man I particularly liked live. Kiss Me A Lot was also good live and crowd response was great to this - just a shame there was no physical release (insert muttering under my breath here!). The album as a whole, I enjoyed. Unfortunately, the concrete thinkers amongst us refuse to understand subjective concepts such as like and dislike and enjoy telling people how wrong they are to partake of this album. It has some interesting instrumentation and his voice sounds excellent on it. There seems to be particular attention paid to creating 'hooks' as they call them these days - i.e. catchy choruses that would translate well to radio if given the chance. The songs you highlight certainly support this. I think everyone is pretty different to their 25 year old self when they are 50 and his vocals actually appear to have benefited rather than suffered. I would be more worried if he had churned out TQID clones for 30 years. WPINOYB, release issues aside, is a pretty good album to my ears,
Regards,
FWD

I think his voice is better than ever. I saw a lot of teenagers in the pit singing along to the new songs. It was encouraging.

Regards,
FWD

If Joe Chicarelli is his hookmaster I really hope they work together on the next album. I absolutely love WPINOYB.

No, its quite clear and simple. WPINOB is shite but each one to themselfs. If you like it, enjoy it :)

When i saw Morrissey wearing converse on the cover, i got a bad feeling
:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
No, its quite clear and simple. WPINOB is shite but each one to themselfs. If you like it, enjoy it :)

When i saw Morrissey wearing converse on the cover, i got a bad feeling
:rofl:

Chucks are chicks and he's not a man. It's a beautiful cover...other than the clone stamp debacle.

yeah i got married in chucks. its a skate shoe. you cant skate in docs

Why don't you people buy every WPINOB album in the world and just roll around naked in them.

I'll buy all the bona drags and roll around in them

image.jpg

So eloquently put, you must be very intelligent

Smarter than you, i bet you spell checked "eloquently" before u committed to it... In all seriousness tho, the guy/girl was only saying how much they'd love to have seen the smiths live, i dunno why u jumped down their throat to be honest

Smarter than you, i bet you spell checked "eloquently" before u committed to it... In all seriousness tho, the guy/girl was only saying how much they'd love to have seen the smiths live, i dunno why u jumped down their throat to be honest

I'm a lassie, love

image.jpg

I agree completely. The most important thing for me is his ability to convey emotions through his songs and his ability to connect with people. He can actually convey very much with little words. For example, as much as I like Bob Dylan (and I really love him), he doesn't reach me on an emotional level at all. Never has and never will. I love his words (on the paper) and I love his artistry but he begins to sing and there is ... nothing. He has songs who are three pages long and who are very intellectual and I'm sure there are emotions in them, somewhere, but they don't reach me.

thats because bob dylan doesnt write gayish songs.

i "didn't jump down anybody's throat" I asked her why she would want to be like brummie barleycorn and the rest of the haters, now go rinse your mouth out with soup and water

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom