NME: "Watch Blossoms and Rick Astley team up to cover The Smiths" (September 14, 2021)

As first spotted by @BookishBoy in the Strange... thread (who supplies the Twitter link), NME take up the footage:

BLOSSOMS_ASTLEY_NME_2000-1392x884.jpg

Watch Blossoms and Rick Astley team up to cover The Smiths

“Since it’s London, we thought why not do something special?,” said frontman Tom Ogden. “So we’re going to do some songs by one of our favourite bands with a friend of ours from the North West. Welcome our friend Rick Astley.

“Do you want to tell them what band it is, Richard?” asked Ogden, adding, “It’s The Smiths everybody,” before tearing into ‘Panic’ and ‘This Charming Man’.

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

The legend that is ....

Rick Astley

A throughly Charming man

Wow! Anyone can cover the smiths. And here I am. Sad( sor of. )! That during my 5 day concert attendance at las Vegas. Morrisey just play a few miths songs. Sad that he just played annoying I'm trowing marks to Paris , and others cover songs That I do not want to hear. Come on morrisey. !! You have plenty of your own material. And the smiths. !!

a good night was had by all,rick said on tv a while ago he would like to do a show of the whole queen is dead album,well done rick and well done the blossoms.

Wow, weirdly better than both Morrissey and Johnny's renditions of those songs.
It is incredible that someone can say that some song of The Smiths can be better sung than Morrissey and better played than Marr, that is unheard of Rick Astley does not even reach the heels of Moz, his voice seems horrible to me, although he sings well No one sings better than my Mozyss !!!!!!

It is incredible that someone can say that some song of The Smiths can be better sung than Morrissey and better played than Marr, that is unheard of Rick Astley does not even reach the heels of Moz, his voice seems horrible to me, although he sings well No one sings better than my Mozyss !!!!!!
You quite clearly didn’t attend any of Morrissey’s 2009 concerts. The live attempts at This Charming Man were poor, at best; I’d rather listen this Astley-Blossoms version, any day.

Last edited by a moderator:
You quite clearly didn’t attend any of Morrissey’s 2009 concerts. The live attempts at This Charming Man were poor, at best; I’d rather listen this Astley-Blossoms version, any day.

I don't think he can bring himself to sing it the old way - reminds him of the past. Also he's changed his voice so much.

Not of course I was not there, nor anywhere .I never saw Moz live, but I listen to a lot of The Smiths and Moz, but I would never say that someone can sing it better than Moz because Mozzys is unique, it is his style one of the things that I like most about him, which makes him unparalleled then even if he has not sung it well as you say, it is Morrissey's misstica that no one can achieve, it is my opinion. It is also one of the emblematic, it is Morrissey

I regret it for how much a fan I am of Morrissey, but really el.es my favorite singer among many who are very good, and that even technically are better, but that is not enough, he sings and says and that is what I admire most and for me no one surpasses it, it is my opinion, also that personality and that scenic presence ... without a doubt he is very special.....MAL !!!! Mozulis is the best! CHUCHI MOZ !!!!!

The Blossoms last ditch attempt at trying to regain cultural relevance, dragging The Smiths with them for the joys of the 'Love the Smiths, hate Moz' crowd.

Last edited:
The Blossoms last ditch attempt at trying to regain cultural relevance, dragging The Smiths with them for the joys of the 'Love the Smiths, hate Moz' crowd.
The crowd did go wild with sheer delight when he said he was doing Smiths song...
No Boos what so ever could be heard .

The world has gone mad! 😅 Who are the bozos that fall for this? The music execs are laughing at these gullible people.

:thumb:

Hopefully it will turn some younger folk onto the artistry of Morrissey and it’ll change their lives forever as it already has for so many.

Edit: Like the way he saved BrummieBoy’s life.

Last edited:
:thumb:

Hopefully it will turn some younger folk onto the artistry of Morrissey and it’ll change their lives forever as it already has for so many.

Nah, most younger fans are aware of what Morrissey has become, thats why they enjoy The Smiths music so much, as thats before he became a tit with his outdated opinions.

Going to be interesting at The Courteeners gig at Old Trafford next weekend as we may see Blossoms playing a couple of Smiths songs and then Johnny Marr playing 2 or 3 as well.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom