"Norway frowns on Morrissey's presence in Nobel concert" - AFP / Yahoo News

"Norway frowns on Morrissey's presence in Nobel concert" - AFP / Yahoo News

Oslo (AFP) - Former Smiths frontman Morrissey caused a stir in Norway on Wednesday after the British singer -- reviled in the country for his provocative comments in the wake of its 2011 Utoeya island massacre -- was confirmed for a Nobel concert line-up in Oslo next month.

"The right man for the Nobel concert?" asked Norway's main newspaper Afterposten on its front page.

This choice "is strikingly out of tune," wrote one of its commentators.

Nordic Twitter users piled on, branding as "bizarre" and "sad" Morrissey's inclusion in the December 11 concert, which was dedicated to the 2013 Peace prize being awarded to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.

Morrissey is notorious in Norway for remarks he made during a concert in Poland just two days after the July 22, 2011 massacre of 77 people -- most of them teenagers -- on Norway's Utoeya island by a right-wing extremist, Anders Behring Breivik. He controversially compared the victims' fate to that of animals bred for fast-food companies.

"That is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Shit every day," he said, furthering his reputation as an outspoken vegetarian.

The organisers of the Nobel concert ruled out cancelling Morrissey's participation.

While his remarks over the massacre were "hideous", producer Odd Arvid Stroemstad said, "his explanation was convincing enough not to deny him the right to pay tribute to the Nobel laureate".

"When the artists go on stage, they do it for just one good reason," Stroemstad told AFP.

"Some are to the left, some are to the right, but all of them perform for free to support the Nobel Peace Prize and its laureate."

As well as Morrissey, the December concert features British singer James Blunt and Syrian musician Omar Souleyman, and will be hosted by Hollywood acting star Claire Danes, known for her leading role in the TV series "Homeland".

Last edited by a moderator:
While his remarks over the massacre were "hideous", producer Odd Arvid Stroemstad said, "his explanation was convincing enough not to deny him the right to pay tribute to the Nobel laureate".

It sounds like he asked to participate, rather than, was asked. Hmm.

I'm sure the only thing on Morrissey's mind after he read this article was "Wait, I'm performing for free?! Who said anything about me doing this gig for free?! I need to fire my manager immediately... oh wait, what manager?"

I'm sure the only thing on Morrissey's mind after he read this article was "Wait, I'm performing for free?! Who said anything about me doing this gig for free?! I need to fire my manager immediately... oh wait, what manager?"

If I were him I’d be wondering why I’m sharing a stage with James Blunt.

Sounds to me like Odd Arvid Stroemstad is a douche-bag for calling Morrissey's right on comments "hideous." He must be a callous little meat eater trying to feel better about himself. The Afterposten is now a laughing stock to question the adequacy of Morrissey for the Nobel concert. The shareholders are obviously pandering to the meat industry to keep that fast-food meat advertising money coming in. Animals, health, and environment be damned. The more blood money the shareholders rake in, the more they can control the political system, and the television news (to which the ignorant people will defer to the views.)

NotLiterallyButMetaphorically

Watch out--the diva will cancel now that someone uttered truths about him. He should not be invited to perform there after what he said.

He was asked.

Was his quote a matter of being lost in translation then?

You can find his statement online, genius.

MORRISSEY STATEMENT

The recent killings in Norway were horrific. As usual in such cases, the media give the killer exactly what he wants: worldwide fame. We aren't told the names of the people who were killed - almost as if they are not considered to be important enough, yet the media frenzy to turn the killer into a Jack The Ripper star is .... repulsive. He should be un-named, not photographed, and quietly led away.
The comment I made onstage at Warsaw could be further explained this way: Millions of beings are routinely murdered every single day in order to fund profits for McDonalds and KFCruelty, but because these murders are protected by laws, we are asked to feel indifferent about the killings, and to not even dare question them.
If you quite rightly feel horrified at the Norway killings, then it surely naturally follows that you feel horror at the murder of ANY innocent being. You cannot ignore animal suffering simply because animals "are not us."

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_110729_01

Re: Article: "Norway frowns on Morrissey's presence in Nobel concert" - AFP / Yahoo News

Sounds to me like Odd Arvid Stroemstad is a douche-bag for calling Morrissey's right on comments "hideous." He must be a callous little meat eater trying to feel better about himself. The Afterposten is now a laughing stock to question the adequacy of Morrissey for the Nobel concert. The shareholders are obviously pandering to the meat industry to keep that fast-food meat advertising money coming in. Animals, health, and environment be damned. The more blood money the shareholders rake in, the more they can control the political system, and the television news (to which the ignorant people will defer to the views.)

Pff. I'm Norwegian. I was appalled by his statements following 22 July. But he's much too good for that pompous non-event. My main sense of surprise is he consented. One fears what he might say on stage ( for his own sake), but at least it will make for a refreshing change from the vacuous platitudes served up by the hollywood actors who usually host the dratted things.

And he has his defenders, who also speak up in the media.

- - - Updated - - -

Was his quote a matter of being lost in translation then?

It's out of context. From the interview with the impresario, it is clear he was approached as their choice. Naturally enough. This isn't the kind of event you sign up for.

He was asked.

And you know this how? Feel free to quote your source. Meanwhile I and other people will trust our instinct and sleuthing skills.

My money is on "He asked them".

If you think that Morrissey's comments were spot-on, you need to get your head out of your ass and take your self-righteous douchebaggery elsewhere. Morrissey was stupid enough to compare his views on animal treatment in the fast-food industry to the slaughter of 77 humans in Norway. Don't even try to compare them because they never will be the same. I'm not saying that the way they treat animals is right, but I am saying that you lack critical thinking skills if you think Morrissey's comparision was "right-on." I wouldn't want him to perform the concert either. I would consider it if Morrissey apologized for his dumbass comments. But he didn't.

You can find his statement online, genius.

MORRISSEY STATEMENT

The recent killings in Norway were horrific. As usual in such cases, the media give the killer exactly what he wants: worldwide fame. We aren't told the names of the people who were killed - almost as if they are not considered to be important enough, yet the media frenzy to turn the killer into a Jack The Ripper star is .... repulsive. He should be un-named, not photographed, and quietly led away.
The comment I made onstage at Warsaw could be further explained this way: Millions of beings are routinely murdered every single day in order to fund profits for McDonalds and KFCruelty, but because these murders are protected by laws, we are asked to feel indifferent about the killings, and to not even dare question them.
If you quite rightly feel horrified at the Norway killings, then it surely naturally follows that you feel horror at the murder of ANY innocent being. You cannot ignore animal suffering simply because animals "are not us."

http://true-to-you.net/morrissey_news_110729_01

Bullshit keeping-name-in-news opportunism. That statement was ridiculous then and it is now.

P.

Bullshit keeping-name-in-news opportunism. That statement was ridiculous then and it is now.

P.

Utter bollocks, mate. It was Morrissey doing damage-limitation. His original comment at the concert suggested he had very little sympathy for the massacre victims. He issued a statement to deny this, and give some context to his comments about the meat industry.
Morrissey's said a lot of nasty bigoted nonsense in recent times but this statement was clearly well intentioned.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom