"Norway frowns on Morrissey's presence in Nobel concert" - AFP / Yahoo News

"Norway frowns on Morrissey's presence in Nobel concert" - AFP / Yahoo News

Oslo (AFP) - Former Smiths frontman Morrissey caused a stir in Norway on Wednesday after the British singer -- reviled in the country for his provocative comments in the wake of its 2011 Utoeya island massacre -- was confirmed for a Nobel concert line-up in Oslo next month.

"The right man for the Nobel concert?" asked Norway's main newspaper Afterposten on its front page.

This choice "is strikingly out of tune," wrote one of its commentators.

Nordic Twitter users piled on, branding as "bizarre" and "sad" Morrissey's inclusion in the December 11 concert, which was dedicated to the 2013 Peace prize being awarded to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.

Morrissey is notorious in Norway for remarks he made during a concert in Poland just two days after the July 22, 2011 massacre of 77 people -- most of them teenagers -- on Norway's Utoeya island by a right-wing extremist, Anders Behring Breivik. He controversially compared the victims' fate to that of animals bred for fast-food companies.

"That is nothing compared to what happens in McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Shit every day," he said, furthering his reputation as an outspoken vegetarian.

The organisers of the Nobel concert ruled out cancelling Morrissey's participation.

While his remarks over the massacre were "hideous", producer Odd Arvid Stroemstad said, "his explanation was convincing enough not to deny him the right to pay tribute to the Nobel laureate".

"When the artists go on stage, they do it for just one good reason," Stroemstad told AFP.

"Some are to the left, some are to the right, but all of them perform for free to support the Nobel Peace Prize and its laureate."

As well as Morrissey, the December concert features British singer James Blunt and Syrian musician Omar Souleyman, and will be hosted by Hollywood acting star Claire Danes, known for her leading role in the TV series "Homeland".

Last edited by a moderator:
Thatcher wasn't a pop star. She didn't write songs and swing around flowers on TV. And something tells me that the PIRA wasn't really that concerned with her diet.

I don't approve of terroristic violence, both because its morally repugnant and quite frankly has a very low rate of efficacy--particularly when compared to other methods of social change--but to compare an attempted assassination of Thatcher by the PIRA to somebody evoking the image of a pop star who was killed by an actual psychopath for no reason in hopes that somebody murders Morrissey because he holds the belief that the lives of animals and people are of equal worth and opposes the taking of innocent life in either case is utter nonsense.

You're making a false analogy and quite frankly I am not interested in derailing this thread into a discussion of Thatcher's policies towards Ireland and when a people have or do not have a moral right to use force and how it should be used.

I do find it strange though you are so appalled by Morrissey's comments about Thatcher and not about Barleycorn's comments on Morrissey. Isn't this the same kind of hypocrisy you are trying to accuse me of?

You are drowning and no amount of clutching at straws will save you.

1] What has the fact that Morrissey trolled TOTP pretending to be Wilde have to do with anything?

2] Morrissey quite clearly DOES NOT believe that the lives of animals and people are of equal value or he would not have made such an offensive remark about the slaughter in Norway. What he said was that the death of those young Norwegians was 'nothing' compared to what happens in McDonalds everday when they're being advertised by His Master's Voice, David Morrissey. He is a delusional troll and a socipath who can only avoid a managed intervention from society because of his wealth and narcissistic arse licking salt grindr camp followers in his cult retinue online and off.

3] My analogy is entirely apt and you are not of any intellectual authority to dispose of it. Neither is Stephen Patrick or David Morrissey. So stick that up yer arses.

4] Refer to my previous reply. I clearly stated it would be a tragedy is some disturbed person offed Morrissey. I do not endorse Mr Barleycorn's remark, but he is not a figure with a public stage: unlike Morrissey so his influence is likely to trigger any such event. I assume Mr Barleycorn was mocking the supposed hyperbolic irony of Mr Morrissey? Not that I care greatly. If you feel Mr Barleycorn has placed Mr Morrissey in danger, then report the matter to the Norwegian security services. I'm sure they'll give a fcuk.

Yes, you are a hypocrite. So is your cult leader.

Next!

Last edited:
So, a Norwegian Troll in the Nobel organising committee invites a faux-British Troll to sing at their Nobel Troll Fest, thus annoying the average Norwegian and winning Troll brownie points.

This is of the same order as Nobel giving warlord President O'bama a 'peace prize'. No one of any credibility would have anything to do with Nobel, thus Morrissey's involvement is perfectly explicable as he is a person of risible credibility in matters of world affairs.

And, of course, Morrissey The Troll gets to duet with James Blunt! Trolls. Peer Gynt. Norway. Morrissey should find some endless fjord and fcuk off up it for good, as he's up shit creek without a paddle.

regards

BrummieBoy

So, a Norwegian Troll in the Nobel organising committee invites a faux-British Troll to sing at their Nobel Troll Fest, thus annoying the average Norwegian and winning Troll brownie points.

This is of the same order as Nobel giving warlord President O'bama a 'peace prize'. No one of any credibility would have anything to do with Nobel, thus Morrissey's involvement is perfectly explicable as he is a person of risible credibility in matters of world affairs.

And, of course, Morrissey The Troll gets to duet with James Blunt! Trolls. Peer Gynt. Norway. Morrissey should find some endless fjord and fcuk off up it for good, as he's up shit creek without a paddle.

regards

BrummieBoy

Enjoy the silence, its quiet on here lately what's occurring ?

Benny-the-Butcher

Morrissey The Troll gets to duet with James Blunt!

What a revolting thought. Of course, Morrissey of old would never consent to sharing a stage with Blunt regardless of the event. It is a measure of how deep a career trough he finds himself in that he needs this appearance so badly to start to get himself back on track.

Last edited:
You are drowning and no amount of clutching at straws will save you.

1] What has the fact that Morrissey trolled TOTP pretending to be Wilde have to do with anything?

2] Morrissey quite clearly DOES NOT believe that the lives of animals and people are of equal value or he would not have made such an offensive remark about the slaughter in Norway. What he said was that the death of those young Norwegians was 'nothing' compared to what happens in McDonalds everday when they're being advertised by His Master's Voice, David Morrissey. He is a delusional troll and a socipath who can only avoid a managed intervention from society because of his wealth and narcissistic arse licking salt grindr camp followers in his cult retinue online and off.

3] My analogy is entirely apt and you are not of any intellectual authority to dispose of it. Neither is Stephen Patrick or David Morrissey. So stick that up yer arses.

4] Refer to my previous reply. I clearly stated it would be a tragedy is some disturbed person offed Morrissey. I do not endorse Mr Barleycorn's remark, but he is not a figure with a public stage: unlike Morrissey so his influence is likely to trigger any such event. I assume Mr Barleycorn was mocking the supposed hyperbolic irony of Mr Morrissey? Not that I care greatly. If you feel Mr Barleycorn has placed Mr Morrissey in danger, then report the matter to the Norwegian security services. I'm sure they'll give a fcuk.

Yes, you are a hypocrite. So is your cult leader.

Next!

Please cut the bullshit.

Morrissey is not my "cult leader" and unlike some people on this board I don't defend everything he does or says. I've criticized his comments about race, immigration, and the UKIP multiple times on this board. Morrissey does and says offensive things. I do not blindly follow or defend everything Morrissey does. I just don't happen to agree with you. So if you want to disagree with me about this that's fine, but please don't make accusations about my motivations or reasoning that are not true.

Whether or not force is justified to advance a political cause or defend oneself against oppression is an extremely different question than is it ok to shoot pop stars. A hyperbolic or flippant remark, while possibly very inappropriate and offensive, is less disturbing to me than evoking the specific image of an extremely deranged psychopath (whose name I won't mention) murdering in cold blood John Lennon for random and senseless reasons.

Maybe you think this is hypocrisy on my part and that's fine, but it's not holding Morrissey to a different standard than other people. I can not stand Justin Bieber at all, but I've also been disturbed by some of the really bizarre and venomous attacks against him. This was particularly disturbing when he was still a child and most of the attackers were unhinged adults. If Johnny Barleycorn had evoked the image of a psychopath shooting John Lennon to imply that he hopes somebody murders Justin Bieber in retaliation for his spraying windex onto a picture of Bill Clinton (yet another politician I vehemently dislike) I would have reacted the same.

Thatcher is a different story. As I stated before I do not support terrorism and terrorist violence--I find it morally reprehensible and extremely ineffective at effecting social change. But as a politician and a head of state, who like most heads of states is guilty of some degree of violence herself, she opens herself up to a very different sort of discourse. I'm not really interested though in debate the validity of the PIRA or their cause and if it is valid what causes of action are they entitled to in order to ensure a redress of grievances, etc. It has nothing to do with what Johnny Barleycorn or the implications of his remarks.

And for the umpteenth time in case anyone on here is going to try to misconstrue my remarks on Thatcher (and it's uber important that we all be extremely precise in our language and watch what we say since freedom of speech is constantly being eroded in the United States) I do not and have never supported terrorism, assassinations, violence against civilians, violence against non-civillians that kills civilians, terrorist violence of any sorts, etc., etc., etc. I just don't think Morrissey's comments on Thatcher are on the same level as Barleycorn's comments on Morrissey. And I don't think they are at all relevant to this discussion.

I do agree with you though that the Noble Peace Prize is a farce, especially since they gave one to Obama the "warlord" as you called him. As an American, it would be nice to for once not have a president who wasn't a war criminal, but I don't think that's ever going to happen during my lifetime. At this point in my life I would be elated if a presidential candidate I voted for got over 2% of the vote.

regards

BrummieBoy

What a bell end you are bummer boy

Please cut the bullshit.

Morrissey is not my "cult leader" and unlike some people on this board I don't defend everything he does or says. I've criticized his comments about race, immigration, and the UKIP multiple times on this board. Morrissey does and says offensive things. I do not blindly follow or defend everything Morrissey does. I just don't happen to agree with you. So if you want to disagree with me about this that's fine, but please don't make accusations about my motivations or reasoning that are not true.

Whether or not force is justified to advance a political cause or defend oneself against oppression is an extremely different question than is it ok to shoot pop stars. A hyperbolic or flippant remark, while possibly very inappropriate and offensive, is less disturbing to me than evoking the specific image of an extremely deranged psychopath (whose name I won't mention) murdering in cold blood John Lennon for random and senseless reasons.

Maybe you think this is hypocrisy on my part and that's fine, but it's not holding Morrissey to a different standard than other people. I can not stand Justin Bieber at all, but I've also been disturbed by some of the really bizarre and venomous attacks against him. This was particularly disturbing when he was still a child and most of the attackers were unhinged adults. If Johnny Barleycorn had evoked the image of a psychopath shooting John Lennon to imply that he hopes somebody murders Justin Bieber in retaliation for his spraying windex onto a picture of Bill Clinton (yet another politician I vehemently dislike) I would have reacted the same.

Thatcher is a different story. As I stated before I do not support terrorism and terrorist violence--I find it morally reprehensible and extremely ineffective at effecting social change. But as a politician and a head of state, who like most heads of states is guilty of some degree of violence herself, she opens herself up to a very different sort of discourse. I'm not really interested though in debate the validity of the PIRA or their cause and if it is valid what causes of action are they entitled to in order to ensure a redress of grievances, etc. It has nothing to do with what Johnny Barleycorn or the implications of his remarks.

And for the umpteenth time in case anyone on here is going to try to misconstrue my remarks on Thatcher (and it's uber important that we all be extremely precise in our language and watch what we say since freedom of speech is constantly being eroded in the United States) I do not and have never supported terrorism, assassinations, violence against civilians, violence against non-civillians that kills civilians, terrorist violence of any sorts, etc., etc., etc. I just don't think Morrissey's comments on Thatcher are on the same level as Barleycorn's comments on Morrissey. And I don't think they are at all relevant to this discussion.

I do agree with you though that the Noble Peace Prize is a farce, especially since they gave one to Obama the "warlord" as you called him. As an American, it would be nice to for once not have a president who wasn't a war criminal, but I don't think that's ever going to happen during my lifetime. At this point in my life I would be elated if a presidential candidate I voted for got over 2% of the vote.

Fack the essay Chip me old son !

Johnny Rogan ?????? Death ???????

Who fackin said that one ?????

I'm still waiting for an answer on this question 24 hours after I asked it (strange thing is no answer yet)

Benny-the-Butcher (Still waiting).:laughing:

1. If you find Morrissey's behavior so deplorable, then why immitate it? He did it, so I can do it; waaahhh!! What are you, twelve? JB's comment was not only a disturbing threat against Morrissey; it defiles the memory of John Lennon.

2. The redundant, fall back argument spewed by the usual suspects is that anyone who still admires Morrissey is a Kool-aid guzzling sheep; but most of the posters here do criticize his behavior; they just prefer to overlook the man's flaws because his music has made such an impact on their lives. It is a matter of personal choice; a choice that will in no way be swayed by the incoherent ramblings of a delusional mental patient, the vulgar rants of a failed comedian( laughing emoticons don't make your statements funny, except to you), or the pretentious tirades of a gaseous blowhard. The people who admire Morrissey aren't the ones trolling this site 24 hours a day: that task belongs to the unholy, pseudo-intellectual trinity, who, if they are as brilliant as they seem to think themselves, should realize that their opinions will never, ever change a thing. Morrissey will never know who you are, nor will he ever care about your opinions, so your incessant posts are just worthless words and wasted hours.

3. It can never be quiet here because every thread is hi-jacked by a few obsessed hate-mongers; so the sane people go about their lives, humming their favorite Morrissey songs.

4. Here is a question that has been asked infinite times and has never been sufficiently answered: what purpose is served by repeatedly attacking an artist on his 'unofficial fansite'? You won't change anyone's opinion, so if that was your goal: mission failed. If you are going to claim yourselves the great defenders of Free Speech, then I would question why you have not chosen a more noble cause . In a world plagued by hatred, warfare, economic despair, murder, brutality, disease, and Justin Beiber, you have chosen to be the ethical watchdogs of a mouthy pop star. The world will surely be a better place now that you have made your one millionth sniping remark about his weight, age, or sexuality. If this is what you find enjoyable, what sad, meaningless lives you must live; again, worthless words and wasted hours.

lynnda

I shouldn't do this, but I can't resist. I have current/ex military mt8's and I'm going to try and get a msg to James Blunt to wind Morrissey up with some Hope For Heroes stuff about Las Falklands if he's game on. He might be, 4 teh lulz, as it would crash Moz and send Blunt's persona vertical. LOL!

I shouldn't do this, but I can't resist. I have current/ex military mt8's and I'm going to try and get a msg to James Blunt to wind Morrissey up with some Hope For Heroes stuff about Las Falklands if he's game on. He might be, 4 teh lulz, as it would crash Moz and send Blunt's persona vertical. LOL!

Yes you should and MUST do this BrummieBoy
Brilliant idea I urge you to do it.

Benny-the-Butcheer

Here comes Benny The Bummer another bell end who writes utter shite

It was a piss take you dick

It's kind of funny that this trio of c***s all turn up together on the one thread. No coincidence I'm sure. Wonder what musicians they're really into and why the keep coming on here?

Morrissey has paid a beautifull and lovery tribute 2 slaughted/murdered innocent childern in norway, hes expressed his deepest sympathy and despair and sorrow for these poor children there faimliy and friends, and at the same time spoke out and highlighted the horrific torture and unimaginable cruelty and treatment towards the milllions of other innocent beings (farm yard animals ect)
(Which order hes paid tribute and has spoken out against animal cruelty and the murder of innocent children in noway ect is irrelevant ! and has no bearing whatsoever ! )
Hes spoke about both and expressed his deepest sympathies for both ! :)
Both are just as important as each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The very caring, understanding and civil people ect including those in norway acknowledge his kindness, compassion and empathy for humans and other beings alike!
The other cruel, greedy and selfish ones amongst us may not ! :(

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom