Now that we know there is a lawsuit by Steyn against Morrissey, how do you think this all ends ?

Now that we know there is a lawsuit by Steyn against Morrissey, how do you think this all ends ?

• other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I think it will survive a motion to dismiss / demurrer / 12(b)(6) failure to state a claim upon which relief can be granted.
Several have pointed out that California is an "at will" employment state, one can be fired for having a tie the employer frowns upon. However, I don't believe this precludes a party from suing under a breach of contract theory. I won't say the complaint is poorly written, if anything at first blush it seems Steyn may have a colorable claim. The more one goes into it, the more one can see how, it's also like dominos or a house of cards. To me, the causes of action seem, both dependent on the breach of contract theory and attenuated from it. Morrissey has a history of parting with people on bad terms and having others do the dismissing. The primary reason to have others do this is to avoid face-to-face confrontation. And by many accounts this Donnie Knutson is a jackass so who knows what he said and how he said it. 100 John Does will not be corralled, perhaps not even 1 John Doe will be brought forward. This is a money grab. I think it will settle. If it goes to Court, I cannot fathom how Steyn could win.

I think the next step will be that Moz will file a motion to dismiss. I am not an expert on contract law in California and one poster spoke with a lawyer who said at least two of the claims were legally baseless, but assuming there is nothing obviously wrong with the legal claims/remedies I suspect it will survive the motion to dismiss. The complaint doesn't have to be true (jurors, not judges are finders of fact), it just has to depict an actual legal wrong with a remedy if it was true. What Moz will do at that point I don't know, but if it does go to trial I cannot see Steyn winning--based on what I've seen so far. I mean for christ sake this man cannot name one hundred of the people he is suing.

Last edited:
I mean for christ sake this man cannot name one hundred of the people he is suing.

It's just a placeholder if/when they determine that someone else was a part of this (Boz, Jesse, PA, venue security, etc...) That way they can just amend this complaint rather than file another against the newly named people.

I think it'll settle and he'll pay Steyn what he's owed as payment for the shows (but not punitive damages) pursuant to the "Agreement" which isn't very well defined in the complaint. What I HOPE happens is the Judge sees how poorly the complaint is written and tosses this crap out on a technicality. I've been in legal for over 20 years now and it's embarrassing to me that that was even filed. I have to think Morrissey will hire more competent counsel and his response will be better written!

It'll go to trial.
They'll bring in David and have him voice his opinion.

I'm puzzled why people think David would testify. He wasn't witness to any of the discussions or the firing of Steyn. It doesn't matter that he was the one to be allegedly bumped off, it could have been anyone. It's the fact that anyone was being bumped off that is in question as the reason why Steyn can't be fired at will (ie: employee at will unless being asked to do something illegal).

It's just a placeholder if/when they determine that someone else was a part of this (Boz, Jesse, PA, venue security, etc...) That way they can just amend this complaint rather than file another against the newly named people.

I think it'll settle and he'll pay Steyn what he's owed as payment for the shows (but not punitive damages) pursuant to the "Agreement" which isn't very well defined in the complaint. What I HOPE happens is the Judge sees how poorly the complaint is written and tosses this crap out on a technicality. I've been in legal for over 20 years now and it's embarrassing to me that that was even filed. I have to think Morrissey will hire more competent counsel and his response will be better written!

I understand the concept of Doe, as in John/Jane Doe, but he has number Doe 1-100. Do we really believe there are 100 people involved in a breach of contract case?

I understand the concept of Doe, as in John/Jane Doe, but he has number Doe 1-100. Do we really believe there are 100 people involved in a breach of contract case?

Why say 1-10 if there may turn out to be 11? I think it was just a nice round number that covers any eventuality. Probably overstated to be safe.

Full blown trial, Mozzer loses. He needs that to write a great album. Remember, his greatest album "Maladjusted" was written after he lost the case to Joyce.

Settle to avoid another public spectacle. I love MOZ but this is too much drama. Also, he should publicly or privately apologize to David.

Back
Top Bottom