Observer Music Magazine:Mike Joyce on "The Queen Is Dead" tour 1986

Cheers, Uncleskinny for the scan.

Ok, scan soon. You know, the thing that has just struck me about this article is that it's an interview with Mike Joyce, and the new compilation is presaged at the bottom. You would almost say he's doing a bit of promotional work. Now we know Moz and Marr have been involved in the putting together of the release(s), and this raises the hoary old question - who gets money from this, and is this really a bit of Mike Joyce promotional work? Which raises a further question - are they talking now? Somehow I doubt it, but who knows?

Peter

**EDIT** - scan here...

2935082232_38806bf544_o.jpg

Is it just me or ... is Joyce Michael getting more and more positive about Moz as time goes by? Perhaps he's feeling guilty? In this article we have him telling us how much harder Morrissey's role was than playing the drums. Things he didn't really appreciate in the 'early years'? Which early years does he mean? The Smiths only lasted for four or five. Does he mean the early years of him suing Moz and Marr when he would bang on about being 25% of the Smiths and therefore wanting 25% of the dosh? Is there an implication that, in recent years, he's begun to realise just what an enormous task it was for Moz and Marr to handle the running of the Smiths?

Is it just me or ... is Joyce Michael getting more and more positive about Moz as time goes by? Perhaps he's feeling guilty? In?

i have read several positive statements he made on moz over the years
for example
" that him listening to morrissey singing while in the smiths was the greatest thing in his life next to the birth of his children"...this statement was made some quite some time ago...

Last edited:
Is it just me or ... is Joyce Michael getting more and more positive about Moz as time goes by? Perhaps he's feeling guilty? In this article we have him telling us how much harder Morrissey's role was than playing the drums. Things he didn't really appreciate in the 'early years'? Which early years does he mean? The Smiths only lasted for four or five. Does he mean the early years of him suing Moz and Marr when he would bang on about being 25% of the Smiths and therefore wanting 25% of the dosh? Is there an implication that, in recent years, he's begun to realise just what an enormous task it was for Moz and Marr to handle the running of the Smiths?

It's sad that some people misunderstand that because of the court case Mike is often slagging off Morrissey whenever he is asked about Morrissey.

i have read several positivestatements he made on moz.
for example
" that him listening to morrissey singing while in the smiths was the greatest thing in his life next to the birth of his children"...this statement was made some quite some time ago...

yeah, I remember stuff like that but these recent comments are a bit different.
the crux of the courtcase was that Joyce was a quarter of the Smiths and should receive a quarter of the non-songwriting income. Marr and Moz argued that they had tons more work to do than Joyce and Rourke and this was reflected in the financial arrangements.
it seems that Joyce is almost accepting that point of view now in comments such as these...

yeah, I remember stuff like that but these recent comments are a bit different.
the crux of the courtcase was that Joyce was a quarter of the Smiths and should receive a quarter of the non-songwriting income. Marr and Moz argued that they had tons more work to do than Joyce and Rourke and this was reflected in the financial arrangements.
it seems that Joyce is almost accepting that point of view now in comments such as these...
hi maurice
have you worked out the statement moz made in the recent moz book that"he has paid joyce, the problem is solved?"
i thought he refused to pay him anything ? so they had to go after his relative houses ...
also he said that in every interview tht he wont pay him ever?
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=88070&page=9&highlight=mike+joyce

You shoul write to Len Brown if you're so desparate to know.
why are you so snappy towards me? Im not "desperate to know" Im just asking a question toward a certain topic like any other else who is a member on a forum.
thts what the use of a forum is, dicsussing questioning bringing up topics etc
...and actually i wasnt the one starting the issue....and at least i think its interesting cause it pretty contradictory concerning his previous comments if he would ever agree with mike

Last edited:
why are you so bitchy towards me? Im not "desperate to know" Im just asking a question toward a certain topic like any other else who is a member on a forum.
thts what the use of a forum is, dicsussing questioning bringing up topics etc
...and actually i wasnt the one starting the issue....

:confused:
I'm not bitchy towards you, just giving you practical advice to get info.

:confused:
I'm not bitchy towards you, just giving you practical advice to get info.

if you're so desparate to know.
well that sounded bitchy/snappy to my ears but nevermind;)
sorry PMS-ing anyway..hmppffff..GRRRR

Last edited:
hi maurice
have you worked out the statement moz made in the recent moz book that"he has paid joyce, the problem is solved?"
i thought he refused to pay him anything? so they had to go after his relative houses ...
also he said that in every interview tht he wont pay him ever?
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=88070&page=9&highlight=mike+joyce

hi, hadn't heard about that. sounds like it dates from 2003, tho, and I'm sure it's been dragging on more recently than that...

hi, hadn't heard about that. sounds like it dates from 2003, tho, and I'm sure it's been dragging on more recently than that...

also, there was a post from Merck shortly after he stopped managing Moz (earlier this year) which implied the whole thing was far from being resolved...

Brel
The Revolution has gone kapput. It now plays Abba, Madonna, Queen and other such shite. All of the DJ's - on being told of the 'shift in style' resigned on the spot, Mike included (this was in early September).
They are all hoping to start a new station called 'Radio Republic' soon.

Jukebox Jury

Really? I did notice that they were playing some pretty awful stuff last time I tuned in, but it was just while I was in the bath before going out, so didn't pay too much attention.

Back
Top Bottom