Official reviews for California Son

Mojo review of California Son

here is their review from June 2019 issue

20190419_061928.jpg

good review but I still feel most of these journalists and I use that word lightly wont forget low in high school where Morrissey got too big for his boots where politics were concerned and will gladly give two out of five or four and five out of ten.

These all seem very promising as these are about the highest scores I would expect for a covers album.

I'm not expecting it to be life changing, but Morrissey is clearly still in good voice and I have enjoyed the productions so far.

Depressing, lightweight, early 70's pop. What's next, a show tunes cover album? We are just about there, folks.

Yes and 2006 for 2004...

No, he hasn't. The BBC poll the writer quotes was in 2006 and he talks about Quarry in past tense. During the Ringleader era the comeback was still on -- it was only after that when the self-sabotage began.

No, he hasn't. The BBC poll the writer quotes was in 2006 and he talks about Quarry in past tense. During the Ringleader era the comeback was still on -- it was only after that when the self-sabotage began.
He claims that in 2006 IBEH entered the charts at number 3 but it was 2 years old then. You Have Killed Me entered the charts at number 3 in 2006.
He is clearly mistaken, and again Britain First/For Britain.
There were times when such mistaken would be inexcusable, but in this day and age anything goes.

I must say:
There was a time when music 'journalists' would write more than a few lines about a new album and go through each track - it was something to enjoy before the record appeared. I don't know if this is unique to Moz on this occasion as I stopped buying Mojo years ago, but for an album that is dissimilar to any he's put out before - it probably deserved a bit of a 'deeper dive'.
Much of the magazine is just huge adverts held together by the odd music item - so I'm glad I didn't shell out for this.
Regards,
FWD.
I think there have always been the long form reviews and the capsule reviews. But music reviews and reviewers themselves used to be a lot more important because you couldn't just go on youtube and hear it for yourself. Also I feel like music in general felt more important as it was shaping and defining culture and something called the counterculture. Now it's just another form of entertainment and people can define themselves by the video games they play.
Magazines are still nice to have and collect but they used to be vital sources of information.

Saw this in HMV Bury St Edmunds today, unprecedented publicity.

Attachments

• 2D72BE2F-2A35-4E08-8C88-6535D8B548EE.jpeg
    2D72BE2F-2A35-4E08-8C88-6535D8B548EE.jpeg
    751.4 KB · Views: 0
These all seem very promising as these are about the highest scores I would expect for a covers album.

I'm not expecting it to be life changing, but Morrissey is clearly still in good voice and I have enjoyed the productions so far.

This. It's a covers album. It's not going to be some great artistic statement able to stand next to Morrissey's previous best, either solo or as a member of the Smiths. It's not going to be a 5 star career high, 'must have' album that is going to get the music press raving about it's greatness, any more than a live album would be. What it might be, is a pleasant collection of half decent tunes, which is all I'm expecting and hoping for. 3 out of 5 is hardly a kick in the balls.

Tags
california son info california son review
Back
Top Bottom