panic attacks/hot weather

echobay

fades into the background
Does anyone here have panic attacks and find that hot weather combined with humidity triggers them ? It seems to start mine off and I'm wondering if there is a scientific reason like the change in pressure or is it just psychological ?

Does anyone here have panic attacks and find that hot weather combined with humidity triggers them ? It seems to start mine off and I'm wondering if there is a scientific reason like the change in pressure or is it just psychological ?

Not panic attacks - but sometimes it triggers my migranes - I think that that is due to change in the pressure. I know ozone/pollution levels rise during such weather and can trigger asthma etc.

A few days of sunshine is nice and enjoyable, but after that it gets too much. I do get an all pervasive sense of unease and anxiety about when it might rain again/get colder, and that's when the obsessive weather report watching comes in!

Lets be grateful we don't live in India where they're 'enjoying' temperatures of 50C (122F).

What are the symptoms? How long does it last and how does it affect you, physically mainly, but also how do you feel when it's happening?

Mmm, panic attacks attack me when I'm worried about money.
I'm sure it's quite possible though that different air pressures and
different temperatures can affect people's mood.:straightface:
Even if it's some kind of subtle association or recollection of something
traumatic that occurred when it was humid.:straightface:

I have some symptoms of panic that arise due to some heath issues I have. When they were trying to diagnose me, this is one of the things they had to rule out: cardioneurogenic syncope. I think it can happen if you deal with extreme heat. I hope it helps you.

What are the symptoms? How long does it last and how does it affect you, physically mainly, but also how do you feel when it's happening?

I have the feeling of panic and needing to escape, increased heart rate, hyperventilating. Also, a feeling of being seperate from my surroundings and tingling hands/feet if I don't get the breathing under control. The worst of it usually last between 3 and 10 mins, depending if I can get it under control. I feel like shit when it happens, like I'm going to pass out and very scared.

Mmm, panic attacks attack me when I'm worried about money.
I'm sure it's quite possible though that different air pressures and
different temperatures can affect people's mood.:straightface:
Even if it's some kind of subtle association or recollection of something
traumatic that occurred when it was humid.:straightface:

I did have a really bad one in a grocery store a few years back when it was very hot and humid. I think the humidity gives me that feeling of suffocation which leads to panic.

The cold weather makes mine worse.

I have the feeling of panic and needing to escape, increased heart rate, hyperventilating. Also, a feeling of being seperate from my surroundings and tingling hands/feet if I don't get the breathing under control. The worst of it usually last between 3 and 10 mins, depending if I can get it under control. I feel like shit when it happens, like I'm going to pass out and very scared.
I get all of those symptoms too when I have a panic attack, but mine are caused by foods and stomach problems. I usually feel really scared and my heart beats super fast. Sometimes when people start talking to me when I am having a panic attack I feel like I am going to start crying if I try to respond. When this first started happening to me, I would breath really fast until I felt like I was going to faint. I am better at controlling my breathing now. I just try to take slow deep breaths. When it is over my cheeks are really rosy and I feel really cold and can't stop shivering. I also sometimes get really happy and giddy after. Does any of this happen to you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I get all of those symptoms too when I have a panic attack, but mine are caused by foods and stomach problems. I usually feel really scared and my heart beats super fast. Sometimes when people start talking to me when I am having a panic attack I feel like I am going to start crying if I try to respond. When this first started happening to me, I would breath really fast until I felt like I was going to faint. I am better at controlling my breathing now. I just try to take slow deep breaths. When it is over my cheeks are really rosy and I feel really cold and can't stop shivering. I also sometimes get really happy and giddy after. Does any of this happen to you?
The important thing to remember ( and I'm saying this because I have
been through it myself) is that you can't die from having a panic
attack. :thumb: Deep breathing and meditation, if you can are very good to help
you feel grounded.:straightface: Yoga is good too,if you can do it.
Do you go to a doctor about this. I'm just wondering is it possible
you are suffering from mood swings or manic depression?
Good luck with all of this.

I used to have severe panic attacks as a teenager. Progressive muscle relaxation exercises done regularly (at least once a day) really made a positive difference and allowed me to drive and travel by plane again.

I think physical sensations can bring on a panic attack - like with you feeling claustrophobic in hot weather. When I developed tinnitus and balance problems late last year, I also suffered the first panic attacks I've had while driving in many, many years.

The important thing to remember ( and I'm saying this because I have
been through it myself) is that you can't die from having a panic
attack. :thumb: Deep breathing and meditation, if you can are very good to help
you feel grounded.:straightface: Yoga is good too,if you can do it.
Do you go to a doctor about this. I'm just wondering is it possible
you are suffering from mood swings or manic depression?
Good luck with all of this.
I started having panic attacks about 7 months ago when I was having really bad stomach problems. I was super nauseous and I was feeling a tight sensation in my throat. I didn't want to eat anything. Then I started having panic attacks everyday. I went to my doctor and she sent me to do a test for Gastroesophageal reflux disease. I ended up having it so they gave me some medicine. Once I started taking the medicine I stopped having the panic attacks everyday and the stomach problems stopped. Now I only have panic attacks about once a month. When they happen I remind myself to take deep breaths and I try to relax. It helps a little bit.

Tags
ontario != hot
Back
Top Bottom