Morrissey Central "Parlophone Records" (August 31, 2020)

unnamed.jpg

Parlophone Records will release a 7-inch version of Morrissey’s “That’s Entertainment” in October.
The recording is not the aborted version from 1994, but retains the original Morrissey vocal.New instrumentation and vocals have been added. The song is a cover version of the 45 issued by The Jam and written by Paul Weller.The flipside of the single is a re-mixed version of Morrissey and David Bowie dueting on Marc Bolan’s’Cosmic Dancer’. The live recording has been newly produced by Boz Boorer, and was recorded in Los Angeles.+ above photograph of Morrissey with his mother in Manchester, 1967.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait! They used his vocals from the unused version from 1994 but orchestrated new music? That sounds so wrong and somehow nothing fits together but maybe we should remember, that Morrissey arranged a few B-side sessions at the beginning of the year 1994 and that's where "Moonriver" was created. It's hard to believe, that they tried to re-record "That's entertainment" but an inner voice tells me, that they didn't just change the music from the 1991 version for this upcoming release.
But then again, taking into account the delay in this release (I bet), this single in January 2021 could be a kind of "Celebrating the 30th anniversary of Morrissey's big US breaktrough". Then it could really be the newly edited version from 1991. I'm going slightly mad...as Freddie would put it.
P.S.
Morrissey's mom really was very attractive.

Wait! They used his vocals from the unused version from 1994 but orchestrated new music? That sounds so wrong and somehow nothing fits together but maybe we should remember, that Morrissey arranged a few B-side sessions at the beginning of the year 1994 and that's where "Moonriver" was created. It's hard to believe, that they tried to re-record "That's entertainment" but an inner voice tells me, that they didn't just change the music from the 1991 version for this upcoming release.
But then again, taking into account the delay in this release (I bet), this single in January 2021 could be a kind of "Celebrating the 30th anniversary of Morrissey's big US breaktrough". Then it could really be the newly edited version from 1991. I'm going slightly mad...as Freddie would put it.
P.S.
Morrissey's mom really was very attractive.

What's confusing is that it states that it "retains the original Morrissey vocal". Wouldn't the "original" vocal be the 1991 vocal?
"New instrumentation and vocals have been added" could mean additional instrumentation or entirely new music. And additional/new backing vocals? :confused:

And why this song? Was he so dissatisfied with his original version that he still feels the need to put it right, 30 years on?

Last edited:
Lovely photo. I've never been a fan of 7" though. Much prefer 12" vinyl. No double entendre jokes please.
I just preordered a lovely 2LP clear vinyl of Suede greatest hits.

What's confusing is that it states that it "retains the original Morrissey vocal". Wouldn't the "original" vocal be the 1991 vocal?
"New instrumentation and vocals have been added" could mean additional instrumentation or entirely new music. And additional/new backing vocals? :confused:

And why this song? Was he so dissatisfied with his original version that he still feels the need to put it right, 30 years on?
Had "I know who I love" perhaps not been about a possible past relationship with a certain man, he could have made a pointed statement with a 7" release. But it is aunt EMI who is now having the old stuff recycled again, not the followers of Mercury/Island records.

I'd much prefer Moz to rerecord accoustic versions of his own songs, or something like what The Cure did for MTV Unplugged all those years ago back in '91.

"It was a completely worthless version. I wanted to make it different from the original, but maybe I shouldn't have tried that. The original is a classic and Paul Weller is, when he wants to be, a genius."

I think I disagree with everyone, including Morrissey!!!
It's actually one of the songs I like the most among all the ones he recorded and I like his version even more than I like the original. The original one sounds a bit aggressive or angry, Morrissey gave it a nostalgic and melancholic tone... and it's perfect.
I am curious about the "remix" or "remake" though... the one that we know is so perfect that I don't know how he wants to improve it.

I am curious about the experiment with the duo with Bowie... though less interested in that one.
In the long run, it was a historic moment (Morrissey and Bowie singing together) and I don't see the point of trying to improve something like that... what happened is what happened and improving it won't change it. I'm not against it, but my interest is the A side for sure.

Surely 1991 and not 1994?
Nice to see a new pic of his mum - the black hair suited her,
She looks great. I just noticed Moz is pushing down that boy's head, which practically takes him out of the shot. Little mischievous Moz.

Had "I know who I love" perhaps not been about a possible past relationship with a certain man, he could have made a pointed statement with a 7" release. But it is aunt EMI who is now having the old stuff recycled again, not the followers of Mercury/Island records.
"Having had the worst of times
Now I want the best of times"

Seem like perfect lines to finish the horrible year that 2020 has been.

I'd much prefer Moz to rerecord accoustic versions of his own songs, or something like what The Cure did for MTV Unplugged all those years ago back in '91.
I wouldn't really be interested in re-recorded studio versions of old songs.
I'd be happy if they brought back some Kill Uncle era songs in a live setting but not necessarily as accoustic versions.

Morrissey on MTV unplugged. In another world, in a better world...
Johnny & Morrissey is not like Rod n Ronnie, you know. Having them a real good time, having a few pints and laughs and revisiting some good ole tunes together.

She looks great. I just noticed Moz is pushing down that boy's head, which practically takes him out of the shot. Little mischievous Moz.
I thought it looked like he was just gently resting his hand there and the small boy was trying to shake it off.

"Having had the worst of times
Now I want the best of times"

Seem like perfect lines to finish the horrible year that 2020 has been.
Has anyone outside those who played on it ever heard it?

Has anyone outside those who played on it ever heard it?
Goddard made it sound like he had but he didn't explicitly state whether he actually had or not.

Goddard made it sound like he had but he didn't explicitly state whether he actually had or not.
In the Mozipedia, right? He sure did. It’s probably the song I’d want to hear the most.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom