Morrissey Central "Parlophone Records" (August 31, 2020)

unnamed.jpg

Parlophone Records will release a 7-inch version of Morrissey’s “That’s Entertainment” in October.
The recording is not the aborted version from 1994, but retains the original Morrissey vocal.New instrumentation and vocals have been added. The song is a cover version of the 45 issued by The Jam and written by Paul Weller.The flipside of the single is a re-mixed version of Morrissey and David Bowie dueting on Marc Bolan’s’Cosmic Dancer’. The live recording has been newly produced by Boz Boorer, and was recorded in Los Angeles.+ above photograph of Morrissey with his mother in Manchester, 1967.

Last edited by a moderator:
mess yes. That Moz feels strongly enough about this song (a very British song) that he needs to release it because he believes it’s better than the original b-side is interesting, I mean, that it bothers him that much that he would bother.

I wonder if the new version will be more uptempo and aggressive, such as ...

I reckon it would be/will be.

I wonder if there are other songs, perhaps some of his own songs, that he feels the same way about, especially from that early 90s period.

I reckon it would be/will be.

I wonder if there are other songs, perhaps some of his own songs, that he feels the same way about, especially from that early 90s period.

Oh, only...all of them.

Poor old funny Uncle. Ever the runt of the litter.

Amongst my de facto befuddlement at this 'new release' announcement, a pathetic hope popped into my mind, that this may just be the initial salvo, an early teaser, of a 30th Anniversary Ultimate Uncle extravaganza ~ to truly celebrate and commemorate all the storied splendours of the Year of Moz: 1991!

And then í put the crack pipe down...

Oh, only...all of them.

Well, he obviously dislikes all of Kill Uncle but I meant more in the sense of feeling the desperate urge to re-do certain songs and put them right instead of burying them deep in the back catalogue and hoping nobody will ever hear them again.

Oh, only...all of them.

Poor old funny Uncle. Ever the runt of the litter.

Amongst my de facto befuddlement at this 'new release' announcement, a pathetic hope popped into my mind, that this may just be the initial salvo, an early teaser, of a 30th Anniversary Ultimate Uncle extravaganza ~ to truly celebrate and commemorate all the storied splendours of the Year of Moz: 1991!

And then í put the crack pipe down...

Well, he obviously dislikes all of Kill Uncle but I meant more in the sense of feeling the desperate urge to re-do certain songs and put them right instead of burying them deep in the back catalogue and hoping nobody will ever hear them again.

well, whatever happens... I would like to hear the song “Kill Uncle” preferably
right now ! :lbf::pray:

So reading the runes between the lines, how about the statement meant to say 1991 instead of 1994 {hence why Alain has no recollection, as he was yet to join Camp Moz at the time of the B-side session}, and that we can expect to hear the original lead velvet vocal from the '91 track, but with added bv and new backing?

í will give it a spin, but why mess with inherent loveliness.

If they ditch the ruler, í am out.

So what exactly was aborted?

typo?

"Abortive ~ adjective: abortive
failing to produce the intended result.
"the rebel officers who led the abortive coup were shot"

Thus "the aborted version from 1994 " actually means "the one that was not as intended...from 1991".

Simple slip of the thesaurus, Freudian or otherwise?

typo?

"Abortive ~ adjective: abortive
failing to produce the intended result.
"the rebel officers who led the abortive coup were shot"

Thus "the aborted version from 1994 " actually means "the one that was not as intended...from 1991".

Simple slip of the thesaurus, Freudian or otherwise?

Freudian slippers, Sam wears them at home.

Several things are puzzling about this message. The cover version was originally recorded at the end of the Kill Uncle sessions and was used as a b-side to Sing Your Life, so not sure what "the aborted version from 1994" is.

Morrissey also called his own version "worthless" in 1992, so it's surprising he'd be interested in re-releasing it (sort of...?).

"It was a completely worthless version. I wanted to make it different from the original, but maybe I shouldn't have tried that. The original is a classic and Paul Weller is, when he wants to be, a genius."

Bit harsh on himself.......I always liked his version.

mess yes. That Moz feels strongly enough about this song (a very British song) that he needs to release it because he believes it’s better than the original b-side is interesting, I mean, that it bothers him that much that he would bother.

I wonder if the new version will be more uptempo and aggressive, such as ...

bold
strange thing about this song :eyes::
in my mind it's ALWAYS more aggressive and energetic :confused:

anyway, it's masterpiece, together with in the city

A Weller re-recording after all THAT in 2006s sun statement:

"There is a renaissance of British music out there at the moment with bands like The Kooks and The Zutons.
"When Morrissey says that British radio has got it all wrong, that's rubbish!
"What, 'cos you're not playing his latest record? That's not necessarily a bad thing is it?

A Weller re-recording after all THAT in 2006s sun statement:

"There is a renaissance of British music out there at the moment with bands like The Kooks and The Zutons.
"When Morrissey says that British radio has got it all wrong, that's rubbish!
"What, 'cos you're not playing his latest record? That's not necessarily a bad thing is it?

Ouch.

Boz is good pals with Weller.

Might explain why Weller stuck the boot in Ringleader then, since Boz had no co-writes. :LOL:

I think it's safe to say that Weller just doesn't like Morrissey's solo stuff in general :grimacing:

From Mojo, June 2008:

“I’d never really got them before, but when I saw them live I thought, “f**king hell!” When they hit hit the stage it made me think of the Jam days; there was an explosion when they hit the boards…but I never listened to any of their records to tell you the truth. I liked a couple of singles, but I was never a fan. I’m certainly not a fan of Morrissey’s solo stuff. It’s a weird thing, because he’s a bit of a fan of mine. But it’s not reciprocated. It bugs me, I don’t want to diss him in print, but he’s a quintessential Englishman but lives in L.A.”

Last edited:
I think it's safe to say that Weller just doesn't like Morrissey's solo stuff in general :grimacing:

From Mojo, June 2008:

“I’d never really got them before, but when I saw them live I thought, “f**king hell!” When they hit hit the stage it made me think of the Jam days; there was an explosion when they hit the boards…but I never listened to any of their records to tell you the truth. I liked a couple of singles, but I was never a fan. I’m certainly not a fan of Morrissey’s solo stuff. It’s a weird thing, because he’s a bit of a fan of mine. But it’s not reciprocated. It bugs me, I don’t want to diss him in print, but he’s a quintessential Englishman but lives in L.A.”
It bothers me that in order to express his dislike of Morrissey's solo stuff he connected it to ... "he's a quintessential Englishman but lives in LA."

What an illogical and stupid argument!

A surprising release especially as it involves a modification; might it represent a rekindling of relations?

It bothers me that in order to express his dislike of Morrissey's solo stuff he connected it to ... "he's a quintessential Englishman but lives in LA."

What an illogical and stupid argument!

From Mojo, June 2008:

I think his traveling and years of living in L.A. has made his patriotism and love for England (or at least, the one in his mind) grow.

Would this make him more of an ‘Englishman’ ? don’t know.

From Mojo, June 2008:

He might have been annoyed about the scandal Moz got into in 2007. It's an odd jibe.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom