Paso Robles, California cancelled/postponed to 2018 due to inoperative on-stage heating

Tonight Paso Robles off .

Posted by baby j:

Morrissey goes low in Paso Robles..The announcement came at about 8:12p that the show was going to be postponed & rescheduled in 2018 due to an inoperative projector. Did I really drive all this way just to hear you say I don't want to sing tonight because your projector's broken?

Shortly before the announcement I had a feeling that it was getting too cold for him to sing.

Posted by beewee:

Show cancelled, postponed for a date in 2018. Lady came on the PA and stated on-stage heating not working. It was cold, about 48F and getting colder.

UPDATE Dec. 4:

Paso Robles officially cancelled according to email from Ticketmaster

Last edited by a moderator:
41, if I recall correctly. So a bit cold. In fairness, the difference between 50 and 41 is pretty stark.

Hang on, according to the same web resource, yesterday in Paso Robles was:

Weather History for Paso Robles - November 5, 2017
Actual Temperature

Mean Temperature 52 °F
Max Temperature 61 °F
Min Temperature 43 °F

So we can still say that a young Bono has tougher balls than a old Morrissey!

It does get cold at night in the desert. But it is not cold inside if the air is properly heated for comfort. Is this an outdoor venue? Am I missing something? I don't know how long he knew the heat was busted before cancelling. He may cancel Phoenix. Maybe it will be too hot and the air conditioning will be broken. Of course I feel bad for the concert goers being letdown and inconvenienced. But I would never perform in 48 degrees. So If I wouldn't be willing to do it why would I expect Moz to?

That’s not the point. Yes, it’s an outdoor venue and he knew, once there, that it was going to get cold at night. Instead of setting up a merch table and acting as if the show was a go, he should have cancelled early in the day, but he didn’t. People bought T-shirts and had blankets. They showed up for him. He could have dressed warm and used heaters. I think I read several pages back that the place smelled like cow manure and served hotdogs and hamburgers, so that may be the real reason for the cancellation. Sorry if I’m wrong.

As for heat, I saw The Cure on a smothering 100 degree day in June of 2016. Robert Smith played for three hours in a long sleeve shirt. Drenched in sweat, he never missed a beat...

Actual Temperature

Mean Temperature 52 °F
Max Temperature 61 °F
Min Temperature 43 °F

Yes, but in defense of Moz, and from all reports, it was chilly and damp. And the only reason U2 went on with their performance in similar temperatures is because they'd already sunk several hundred thousands of dollars into film crews. I found this Wikipedia entry particularly illuminating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2_Live_at_Red_Rocks:_Under_a_Blood_Red_Sky

I'm sorry for the people who showed up and wanted to see the show, but I don't think it's beyond the pale for Morrissey to not jeopardize a world tour (which it will be) to sing in cold weather for a single show. U2 had planned for that gig, invested a lot of money in it, and it became one of the best concert films of all time. But who in reality knows where the f*** Paso Robles is? The temperature comparisons are interesting but not truly declarative.

Actual Temperature

Mean Temperature 52 °F
Max Temperature 61 °F
Min Temperature 43 °F

I was simply anecdotally recalling what someone posted earlier. Maybe it was balmier than all recall!

Yes, but in defense of Moz, and from all reports, it was chilly and damp. And the only reason U2 went on with their performance in similar temperatures is because they'd already sunk several hundred thousands of dollars into film crews. I found this Wikipedia entry particularly illuminating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U2_Live_at_Red_Rocks:_Under_a_Blood_Red_Sky

I'm sorry for the people who showed up and wanted to see the show, but I don't think it's beyond the pale for Morrissey to not jeopardize a world tour (which it will be) to sing in cold weather for a single show. U2 had planned for that gig, invested a lot of money in it, and it became one of the best concert films of all time. But who in reality knows where the f*** Paso Robles is? The temperature comparisons are interesting but not truly declarative.

Yes, in all fairness, it would be a mistake to get sick and have to cancel a bunch more shows. Still, with a history of cancellations, Moz has lost some goodwill over the years.

Meanwhile, I live in California and I can tell you that Paso Robles is a beautiful spot in the Central Coast wine region...

Yes, in all fairness, it would be a mistake to get sick and have to cancel a bunch more shows. Still, with a history of cancellations, Moz has lost some goodwill over the years.

Meanwhile, I live in California and I can tell you that Paso Robles is a beautiful spot in the Central Coast wine region...

Indeed. Agree 100%

He’s hasn't just lost his goodwill he’s lost his freaking mind as well, if you don’t wanna be cold and get sick book a god damn indoor venue then.

I wouldn't get on stage and sing in 45 fing degrees, good call Moz!
You can be a singer (or musician) and be clever too, and not booked dates on open-air venues in November/December... even January/February....
And Why don't give gigs in Asian Country in open-air venues during the monsoon?

That’s not the point. Yes, it’s an outdoor venue and he knew, once there, that it was going to get cold at night. Instead of setting up a merch table and acting as if the show was a go, he should have cancelled early in the day, but he didn’t. People bought T-shirts and had blankets. They showed up for him. He could have dressed warm and used heaters. I think I read several pages back that the place smelled like cow manure and served hotdogs and hamburgers, so that may be the real reason for the cancellation. Sorry if I’m wrong.

As for heat, I saw The Cure on a smothering 100 degree day in June of 2016. Robert Smith played for three hours in a long sleeve shirt. Drenched in sweat, he never missed a beat...
Morrissey played Fort Canning Park in Singapore and that was also red hot so I don't understand your point, best regards, manc lad

Okay. I'm done throwing my tantrum now. Had to rant on the ride home.

Perhaps it was because the venue was selling hotdogs and chicken strips and smell of flesh was wafting at him and he was to offended to play.

Actually I'm mistaken about them serving hotdogs, someone who works at the Vina Robles Ampetheatre posted on the Facebook event page said they didn't serve meat. The wood menu signs were still up that showed hot dogs and chicken strips but they didn't serve their usual menu that night BUT instead they served soy nuggets and jackfruit tacos, falafels, garlic fries (which were and pretzels and stuff not meat. So it couldn't of been the reason..

Only he knows why he didn't fancy playing but for those asking why he booked to play there, he didn't, the promoter did and Morrissey agreed to the schedule. My assumption is that he probably didn't think about the weather, only the $$$ at the bottom of the contract.

Those that are critical of Morrissey himself need to realize that there are 5 other people in the band. As a guitarist myself, its f***in' difficult playing when your freezing cold and your f***in' hands are numb. Everyone may want to criticize Morrissey, but this may have also been a decision made by the band, but of course a lot of you wankers just want to throw blame on Morrissey himself. Possibly all those non-musicans out there just don't have a f***in' clue about cold weather and trying to play an instrument in a professional way to make the music represent the album. Try learning some facts before all the f***in' conjecture.

Of course I wouldn't want Morrissey or any of the band members to get sick or suffer, but a word from Morrissey's team explaining what went wrong and why they consequently had to cancel or postpone would very much help with understanding and might help alleviate some bad feelings. Otherwise, fans are left with our vivid imaginations to make sense of things, and this probably affects how much we will feel like buying tickets for future shows. I might only be speaking for myself... I don't know...but I feel kind of like a disposable ninny today. You can probably guess this is my first cancellation.

Those that are critical of Morrissey himself need to realize that there are 5 other people in the band. As a guitarist myself, its f***in' difficult playing when your freezing cold and your f***in' hands are numb. Everyone may want to criticize Morrissey, but this may have also been a decision made by the band, but of course a lot of you wankers just want to throw blame on Morrissey himself. Possibly all those non-musicans out there just don't have a f***in' clue about cold weather and trying to play an instrument in a professional way to make the music represent the album. Try learning some facts before all the f***in' conjecture.

Yes, apart from the fact Morrissey was going to risk his health, I was wondering how are musicians supposed to play a guitar or a piano on a professional level with freezing fingers. It's sad for the people who were in the venue waiting for the show to begin, they should have been warned earlier about the cancellation. I guess venue's people who was there knew the show wasn't going to happen, so the person who took the decision of not telling it to the public didn't play it fair.

It will be cold in Hollywood this weekend, you can find these at Saks, your welcome

Of course I wouldn't want Morrissey or any of the band members to get sick or suffer, but a word from Morrissey's team explaining what went wrong and why they consequently had to cancel or postpone would very much help with understanding and might help alleviate some bad feelings. Otherwise, fans are left with our vivid imaginations to make sense of things, and this probably affects how much we will feel like buying tickets for future shows. I might only be speaking for myself... I don't know...but I feel kind of like a disposable ninny today. You can probably guess this is my first cancellation.

Welcome to the club! You can't really be a big Moz fan unless you've fell victim to a cancellation or a walk off. Stay tuned. There's Moore coming.

Do not travel unless you can mix something else in wherever you are going, first rule of Moz fanhood. The chances of any show happening are little better than 50%.

The weird thing was that venue security in front seemed to have no idea that it was cancelled right up until the announcement at 8:15. They were busy deciding on the correct positions to place themselves in front of the barrier the whole time. A person from Morrissey's security team was in front of the barrier right up until this time too and a person was checking guitars and other instruments behind the curtain. I'm not sure how this squares with those who are saying that the venue knew he left at 6 already. Maybe they were still holding out hope.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom