Pete Shelley has died

Oh no.

Pete Shelley.

Buzzcocks singer Pete Shelley dies at 63 - BBC News
Buzzcocks lead singer Pete Shelley has died at 63 of a suspected heart attack.

45233_pete_shelley.jpg

Link to Morrissey's cover of "You Say You Don't Love Me" by The Buzzcocks posted by Surface:

Last edited by a moderator:

Punk pop that has yet to be beat ! Angst ridden joyful ! Songs that will resonate with generations to come, after we’re all gone,

The Buzzcocks will ... LIVE ON !

:):guitar:

Hope that McDonald's dust up doesn't get in the way of some nice words from morrissey. Might be a nice tribute to add him to the stage images

Linder posted a couple of smashing snaps to-night of our 20th Century's Shelley ~

That's what hipsters looked like in the 70s kids...

Not in my book ! Are you calling the Buzzcocks hipsters? Yeah , they dressed differently than the mainstream norm, but unlike hipsters today, the Buzzcocks and a handful of outsiders in Manchester were really bringing something
new and creative into the world, much needed then and now.

Pretty sure even the young Moz was hip enough
not to wear bell bottoms, but that person in the second photo standing in front,could it be him :confused:

btw, cool photos.

I saw 'em live at the Respect Festival, down Finsbury Park way in 2006. Absolutely brilliant they were too. I can remember whenever they made an appearance on 'Top Of The Pops' when I was kid in the late-70's, how mildly subversive their songs were. Cliched punks they certainly weren't. Pete Shelley didn't do the pathetic macho posturing that came to be associated with bands from that era. Quite the opposite. He came over as being warm, funny...and human. I liked that. Qualities to be cherished and never to be sneered at. Bless you, Pete. :kissingheart:

Last edited:
I saw 'em live at the Respect Festival, down Finsbury Park way in 2006. Absolutely brilliant they were too. I can remember whenever they made an appearance on 'Top Of The Pops' when I was kid in the late-70's how mildly subversive their songs were. Cliched punks they certainly weren't. Pete Shelley didn't do the pathetic macho posturing that came to be associated with bands from that era. Quite the opposite. He came over as being warm, funny...and human. I liked that. Qualities to be cherished and never to be sneered at. Bless you, Pete. :kissingheart:

Pete Shelley didn't do the pathetic macho posturing that came to be associated with bands from that era. Quite the opposite. He came over as being warm, funny...and human. I liked that. Qualities to be cherished and never to be sneered at.’

And wearing a green carnation in the Homosapien video, what a nice touch. :)

You know how when somebody you know dies, you raise a pint and reminisce, tell a story about you and them and remember them fondly? Probably not, because you don't seem like you have many friends to mourn, or who would mourn you with that attitude. And no, I didn't know Pete personally. Never met the guy, but I always enjoyed his music and influence on music. But if you must know, drinks at Double Down August 7th, 2007, Married on August 8th, 2007, and divorce finalized August 8th (yes, it was poetic that it was the anniversary) 2012. Not that it's any skin off of my ass if you don't believe me.

I concur with the anonymous poster. Your story is fake, as you know. I've seen you say elsewhere on this site that you are, I believe, 40 years old. And yet we're supposed to fall for some story where you were 'pressured' into marrying a 'trashy' woman in 2007 when you were, what, 29? And you live on the west coast of the USA, mind, not Pakistan or Afghanistan.

You're one of the most unabashedly all-in liberal people on this website, and you very likely come from a liberal family (just an assumption, I'm sure you'll say the opposite though to keep your story alive) since it seems like something which was inculcated in you a long time ago. So we wouldn't even be talking here about a firmly conservative Republican family in the south who 'pressured' you into marriage when you were 29, but rather a CNN watching Obama voting west coast family.

And a bar in Las Vegas in 2007 just happened to be playing 'Singles Going Steady' in its entirety! With 'Ever Fallen in Love' coming on as you entered! The synchronicity! The irony of it all! (The bullshit of it all.) Like the script from some mid 00s indie teen film that bombed at the box office. You just so happened to still have a picture of the bar on your computer 11 years later, too. You may have been deep in sorrow about your impending nuptials, and blitzed drunk, but you were clear-headed enough to take a picture of the bar because hey it'll make a fascinating anecdote some day after this marriage goes tits-up. What foresight!

You were 'pressured' into marrying this woman but your family sent you off to the desert in Las Vegas to do it. A sort of quick covert wedding that families might have arranged for a teenage couple in the USA, pre-Weimerica, in the early 1960s when the girl fell pregnant; not for a 29 year old man in 2007 on the west coast. Were her family really that desperate to have you as a son-in-law? What kind of 29 y.o. man would allow himself to be pushed into a marriage that he wanted no part in? Are you some sort of trust fund kid whose money will be cut off by his family if he doesn't acquiesce to their demands? What other power could they possibly have over you at that age? They sound as fearsome as Sheikh Khalifa of the UAE!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...al-maktoum-had-planned-escape-for-seven-years

I'm surprised they allowed you to divorce since they were so adamant that you get married! Apparently they could only pressure you into getting married, but not into staying together. They must have moved on by the time you announced your divorce five years later; found other preoccupations. Which song was playing in the bar on the day of your final divorce hearing? 'The End' by The Doors? And you downed your pint, soaking in the irony. Maybe you're saving the divorce anecdote for the next time a popular musician dies. Will you have a picture of a bar that you'll use for that anecdote, as well?

I don't know why you're making up stories, probably to try to give your life some sense of barfly wisdom and poetry that it didn't actually have. You wanted to say something to mark Pete Shelley's death which packed a punch, but not having anything suitably profound to add you concocted something instead. A clichéd, Gilmore Girls type of 'something', but something nevertheless. Sorry I had to completely rubbish it, but I couldn't just sit back and allow that whopper of a lie to stand, now could I? Better luck next lie.

R.I.P. Pete Shelley

Not in my book ! Are you calling the Buzzcocks hipsters? Yeah , they dressed differently than the mainstream norm, but unlike hipsters today, the Buzzcocks and a handful of outsiders in Manchester were really bringing something
new and creative into the world, much needed then and now.

Pretty sure even the young Moz was hip enough
not to wear bell bottoms, but that person in the second photo standing in front,could it be him :confused:

btw, cool photos.

It was a recording of Times Up from that venue in 1977 that got me into Buzzcocks. For anyone into The Fall, Joy Division, Buzzcocks or John Cooper Clarke - this was an fabulous album.

0:00 The Fall - Stepping Out 2:48 John Cooper Clarke - (You Never See A Nipple In The) Daily Express 4:24 Joy Division - At A Later Date 7:31 The Drones - Persecution Complex Side B: 10:26 Steel Pulse - Makka Splaff (The Colly Man) 16:41 John Cooper Clarke - I Married A Monster From Outer Space 18:44 The Fall - Last Orders 21:03 Buzzcocks - Time's Up

That whole Spiral Scratch EP is fab, but yes, Time's Up too. Boredom is my fave.
Didn't Linder do the art-work for that?

That whole Spiral Scratch EP is fab, but yes, Time's Up too. Boredom is my fave.
Didn't Linder do the art-work for that?

Linder did the artwork for the "Orgasm Addict" single - post-Devoto. The Spiral Scratch EP is just a photograph of the band (I believe by Richard Boon? But I have a feeling I'm wrong on that one).

I concur with the anonymous poster. Your story is fake, as you know. I've seen you say elsewhere on this site that you are, I believe, 40 years old. And yet we're supposed to fall for some story where you were 'pressured' into marrying a 'trashy' woman in 2007 when you were, what, 29? And you live on the west coast of the USA, mind, not Pakistan or Afghanistan.

You're one of the most unabashedly all-in liberal people on this website, and you very likely come from a liberal family (just an assumption, I'm sure you'll say the opposite though to keep your story alive) since it seems like something which was inculcated in you a long time ago. So we wouldn't even be talking here about a firmly conservative Republican family in the south who 'pressured' you into marriage when you were 29, but rather a CNN watching Obama voting west coast family.

And a bar in Las Vegas in 2007 just happened to be playing 'Singles Going Steady' in its entirety! With 'Ever Fallen in Love' coming on as you entered! The synchronicity! The irony of it all! (The bullshit of it all.) Like the script from some mid 00s indie teen film that bombed at the box office. You just so happened to still have a picture of the bar on your computer 11 years later, too. You may have been deep in sorrow about your impending nuptials, and blitzed drunk, but you were clear-headed enough to take a picture of the bar because hey it'll make a fascinating anecdote some day after this marriage goes tits-up. What foresight!

You were 'pressured' into marrying this woman but your family sent you off to the desert in Las Vegas to do it. A sort of quick covert wedding that families might have arranged for a teenage couple in the USA, pre-Weimerica, in the early 1960s when the girl fell pregnant; not for a 29 year old man in 2007 on the west coast. Were her family really that desperate to have you as a son-in-law? What kind of 29 y.o. man would allow himself to be pushed into a marriage that he wanted no part in? Are you some sort of trust fund kid whose money will be cut off by his family if he doesn't acquiesce to their demands? What other power could they possibly have over you at that age? They sound as fearsome as Sheikh Khalifa of the UAE!
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...al-maktoum-had-planned-escape-for-seven-years

I'm surprised they allowed you to divorce since they were so adamant that you get married! Apparently they could only pressure you into getting married, but not into staying together. They must have moved on by the time you announced your divorce five years later; found other preoccupations. Which song was playing in the bar on the day of your final divorce hearing? 'The End' by The Doors? And you downed your pint, soaking in the irony. Maybe you're saving the divorce anecdote for the next time a popular musician dies. Will you have a picture of a bar that you'll use for that anecdote, as well?

I don't know why you're making up stories, probably to try to give your life some sense of barfly wisdom and poetry that it didn't actually have. You wanted to say something to mark Pete Shelley's death which packed a punch, but not having anything suitably profound to add you concocted something instead. A clichéd, Gilmore Girls type of 'something', but something nevertheless. Sorry I had to completely rubbish it, but I couldn't just sit back and allow that whopper of a lie to stand, now could I? Better luck next lie.

R.I.P. Pete Shelley

I opted to go to Vegas to comply, but steer clear of a church wedding, as I'm not religious. The funniest part of this, is my ex wife could back me up on this in a hot minute, but I'd never drag her into this cesspit.

You’re full of shit, and I know you’re full of shit! I’ve been listening to your crap for a while now and you consistently pontificate about other people you know nothing about with anecdotes that make no sense whatsoever. You’re a liar and inventing dates and stupid stories will not change that. Get off the thread and get a life you knob!
Urbanus, you need not spit your dummy every time you don't get the validation you seek.

Lovely message from another Manchester legend -

http://www.neworder.com

I was deeply sorry to hear about Pete passing away, I always thought he was a great songwriter and the Buzzcocks both helped and inspired us in the early days of Joy Division. The first punk record I ever bought was ‘Spiral Scratch’ Boredom was the track on it that summed up how every bummed out adolescent felt in early 1977.

Another song ‘You Say You Don’t Love Me’ was another - perhaps lesser known but it was a favourite of mine with a deeply touching melody and then in 1981 he came out with the catchy as hell perfect pop song ‘Homosapien’ - By coincidence we played it in our dressing room just before we went onstage at our last gig in Curitiba, Brazil.

A sad day but a brilliant and unforgettable life.

Bernard Sumner.

I inherited a copy of Love Bites as a kid and adored it (still do).
Great band - sad news.
Regards,
FWD.

Poached from the MEN:
"Lesser Free Trade Hall, June 4, 1976
It’s a date that’s seared in Manchester musical history. Pete Shelley and his Buzzcocks bandmate Howard Devoto organised the seminal Sex Pistols gig at the Lesser Free Trade Hall on Peter Street on June 4, 1976. Just 40 people were there on the night, but legend has all went on to form a band. In the audience were Peter Hook and Morrissey. Tony Wilson, Ian Curtis and Mark E. Smith were at the return show six weeks later. The gigs ignited Manchester’s punk scene, inspired a generation of musicians and led to Factory Records, the Hacienda and Madchester. We’ve got Pete Shelley to thank for all that."

A collation of tributes via the Manchester Evening News:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ws/buzzcocks-pete-shelley-dead-heart-15518344
Anyone interested in this should search out the book, I swear I was there: The gig that changed the world. Tells the story of how Buzzcocks hired the venue and got the Sex Pistols out of London to play in Manchester, and how the audience members went on to become parts of music history, including Morrissey. This gig really did change everything, and Pete Shelley should be lauded for this if nothing else.
51E5DuocXoL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I wonder if Moz will dust off "You Say You Don't Love Me" tonight in concert? Been years since it's been played, and even then only a few times. I'm sure the band could pull it together without too much trouble.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom