Official Facebook Peter Katsis: Simpsons Responses (April 19, 2021)

"Surprising what a “turn for the worst" the writing for The Simpson’s tv show has taken in recent years.

Sadly, The Simpson’s show started out creating great insight into the modern cultural experience, but has since degenerated to trying to capitalize on cheap controversy and expounding on vicious rumors.

Poking fun at subjects is one thing. Other shows like SNL still do a great job at finding ways to inspire great satire.

But when a show stoops so low to use harshly hateful tactics like showing the Morrissey character with his belly hanging out of his shirt (when he has never looked like that at any point in his career) makes you wonder who the real hurtful, racist group is here.

Even worse - calling the Morrissey character out for being a racist, without pointing out any specific instances, offers nothing. It only serves to insult the artist.

They should take that mirror and hold it up to themselves.

Simpson’s actor Hank Azaria's recent apology to the whole country of India for his role in upholding "structural racism” says it all.

Unlike the character in the Simpson’s “Panic” episode…….

Morrissey has never made a “cash grab”, hasn’t sued any people for their attacks, has never stopped performing great shows, and is still a serious vegan and strong supporter for animal rights.

By suggesting all of the above in this episode…the Simpson’s hypocritical approach to their storyline says it all.

Truly they are the only ones who have stopped creating, and have instead turned unapologetically hurtful and racist.

Not surprising…... that The Simpsons viewership ratings have gone down so badly over recent years."

As guessed - author is Peter Katsis.
Regards,
FWD.

Update - a second post from Peter Katsis:

More shoddy journalism by COS and Pitchfork today.

They attributed my quote (on The Simpson’s poor writing) to Morrissey, while using false facts to try and support more meaningless stories

More former journalistic press outlets now turning to the same tactics The Simpson’s used to gain attention.

Other real papers, like Rolling Stone, called to ask who wrote the comment.

Someone should tell COS and Pitchfork that is what is called “journalism".

In the meantime nobody has even mentioned the horrible false portrayal of Morrissey used by The Simpsons team. - Peter Katsis

Update - third post. Link posted by Uncleskinny:

Thinking more today on this Simpson’s bullshit…..

Why did Cumberbatch even agree to take this voice-over gig playing the Morrissey character?

Could he be that hard up for cash that he would agree to bad rap another artist that harshly?

Clearly he would have read the outline or script before he took the gig.

Could he actually be as big an asshole as the people on The Simpson’s writing team? and the FOX team?

Apparently so. Maybe he should speak up and tell his side of this.

Does he even have enough balls to do that? - PK

Related items:
Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Referring to me? For me it's a "for lack of a better word" sort of term. It's contentious but it aptly describes an ideology and a type of person that I think everyone innately understands. What would you define it as?
I was moreso referring to some others, your post just happened to squeeze in ahead of mine. But I disagree, I think there's a reflexive tendency for people who were quite comfortable with a former state of discourse to decry anything they see as remotely socially-conscious or oversensitive as "woke." As someone on the left, I presume you know what actual insufferable wokeness looks like and it's not poking fun at Morrissey for what many agree he's turned into.

I don't know who that is. I've just been watching the show and making my own observations about it. Even somebody pro-wokeness would probably agree. It's all right there in the writing. Like a lot of TV shows, there is a big batch of new young angry writers who want to cater to a young angry twitter audience. Some shows became this way suddenly, for example, Young Justice season 3 was a pretty fascinating decline into that nonsense compared to the two seasons before it. I'm a tv dork and it's fun to notice trends like this.
'pro-wokeness'.

f***ing hell, listen to yourself

I was moreso referring to some others, your post just happened to squeeze in ahead of mine. But I disagree, I think there's a reflexive tendency for people who were quite comfortable with a former state of discourse to decry anything they see as remotely socially-conscious or oversensitive as "woke." As someone on the left, I presume you know what actual insufferable wokeness looks like and it's not poking fun at Morrissey for what many agree he's turned into.

I don't exactly agree, no. I'm a bit conflicted on the Morrissey issue. I truly don't understand his views 100% but they've never seemed "racist" to me. I think many people think he's racist (and couldn't tell you a single quote from him) because everyone says he is, and it's just going by its own momentum now. It's true he's dramatic and can be ridiculous, but...it's Morrissey? I mean that's part of the package.

I mean right there you used the term "insufferable wokeness", I propose the "insufferable" is redundant. "Woke" to me defines somebody who is insufferably irrational and morally virtuous (the term "woke" itself supremely arrogant), screams at others and is possessed by radical political ideology. An ideology that has alienated me and everybody I know who is/was on the left. My girlfriend, a bigger lefty than me, is completely sick of it.

'pro-wokeness'.

f***ing hell, listen to yourself

I genuinely don't know what you're angry about here. Does the word itself bother you? Like I said, "for lack of a better word", but how would you define it? I'm all for better ideas.

The trend in the Simpsons writers room (and other tv shows too) is a real thing. I've actually watched all the episodes and have spotted it. It's not constant, but about 5 or 6 times in the past year is fairly noticeable. Or are you mad that I'm saying this is happening on the show? I really don't know what's going on here. To be fair, I haven't read the entire 9 pages of this thread, just popped in to give my 2 cents.

I don't exactly agree, no. I'm a bit conflicted on the Morrissey issue. I truly don't understand his views 100% but they've never seemed "racist" to me. I think many people think he's racist (and couldn't tell you a single quote from him) because everyone says he is, and it's just going by its own momentum now. It's true he's dramatic and can be ridiculous, but...it's Morrissey? I mean that's part of the package.

I mean right there you used the term "insufferable wokeness", I propose the "insufferable" is redundant. "Woke" to me defines somebody who is insufferably irrational and morally virtuous (the term "woke" itself supremely arrogant), screams at others and is possessed by radical political ideology. An ideology that has alienated me and everybody I know who is/was on the left. My girlfriend, a bigger lefty than me, is completely sick of it.
You must have missed him urging people to vote for a party Nigel Farage himself said was too racist for UKIP. You must have missed him singling out brown people for criticism. You must have missed him bemoaning the lack of people who can't speak English. You must have missed him railing against primarily non-white immigrants. Look, just read this...

I think immigration is a complex issue, different in every country, and I absolutely hate when people think those who want to talk about its complexities and potential drawbacks in the here and now are racist, and there is some really unbelievable things happening in the UK to hide any criticisms of immigration even as it's causing actual problems nobody wants to acknowledge. It is the opposite of problem solving and intelligent discourse and makes things worse for everybody. I've yet to be convinced of any Morrissey = racist thing, and I'm fairly familiar with the ones you mentioned. I think Morrissey just hates most people, regardless of race.

Though I mainly wanted to talk about the Simpsons...

I hear you, but I do think there's a spectrum.

And likewise, most of my social circle (which generally skews center-to-far-left) have actively rejected the histrionic and dogmatic aspects of "woke" discourse. It's exhaustingly performative and I mainly associate it with the generation below me. It's not something that intersects with my world much.

I think immigration is a complex issue, different in every country, and I absolutely hate when people think those who want to talk about its complexities and potential drawbacks in the here and now are racist. It is the opposite of problem solving and intelligent discourse. I've yet to be convinced of any Morrissey = racist thing, and I'm fairly familiar with the ones you mentioned. I think Morrissey just hates most people, regardless of race.
So, you didn't read the article with all it's examples then. I can see we're dealing with a bear of little brain. On block you go.

Oh yes. All the kids are into Morrissey. Cash grab. Both Simpsons & Morrissey are as irrelevant as ever. People sure seem to hate it when Morrissey's words are used against him. The arse-licking is still along the same lines as the Trump cult, and in both cases, the vast number of people have rejected the message. On to the dumpster of history, Morrissey!

:rolleyes:

wrong as usual.

I hear you, but I do think there's a spectrum.

And likewise, most of my social circle (which generally skews center-to-far-left) have actively rejected the histrionic and dogmatic aspects of "woke" discourse. It's exhaustingly performative and I mainly associate it with the generation below me. It's not something that intersects with my world much.

Yes, I'd argue 5 years ago there was a spectrum, now it's "you're either with us or against us." I've lost some friends to this.

So, you didn't read the article with all it's examples then. I can see we're dealing with a bear of little brain. On block you go.

I just read the list. It's light on nuance and seems to not understand several of Morrissey's admittedly controversial points. Others lead you to playing a Google game to have to confirm if the people they say are "alt right" or "racist" really are, and guess what? Not convinced. I'm fine with you blocking me, I don't post here often!

I'm genuinely surprised at how many people here expected this episode to be a straightforward, loving tribute to The Smiths and not simply this rushed lesson in "killing your idols.
It was a bit harsh though, wasn't it? They basically had "80s Morrissey" (whiny but cool) dying of embarrassment over modern Moz ("Winston Churchill") and that's not how the promos set it up. They drew Johnny onstage with modern 'Moz', so I'm guessing it was supposed to be a Smiths reunion?

Morrissey-solo be like:
Yesterday: "Oh The Simpsons is my favourite show, it's always been great, I'm really looking forward to this episode."
Today: "I've always hated The Simpsons, it's always been crap and has got worse in recent years and they are all racists."

Allow me to quote Sideshow Bob...
If you don't know me by nowwww

I quite liked it, but that's because to me it's a Lisa episode. Morrissey is just a pretext to illustrate her own animated " That's How People Grow Up" phase, which I think a lot of us can relate to. At the end of the episode you half expect her to say
Mama, the more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a 80's English crooner whom I can really love.

And if the festival bit is OTT, it had to be, for her to break the bond with her imaginary friend...And Morrissey has done and said far worse in real life anyway, the silly sausage.

This has kinda confirmed for me that American Smiths fans never truly GOT IT...?

No Offence, obviously

(In case you sent a plump blonde Northern middle-aged woman across the Atlantic, she never landed.)

I think the people who worked on that episode "got it" fine (they got the machine gun Churchill pic reference, for a start, didn't they?) The only person who doesn't seem to "get it" is the "official" spokesperson, completely unaware that Morrissey is using him/her, like many many many before him. Because yes, official he/she is that dumb. You have to be, to pooh-pooh "cheap controversy" when working for Morrissey. It's hard to believe anyone could be so unaware. Homer seems enlightened by comparison. I wonder why Morrissey still does that, hiding behind idiots. (It seems so silly, when your ma is gone, nobody can defend you properly anyway. Everybody knows that.)

And yes, obviously it could be an American. They can't all be as smart as Lisa.
Who could have turned to Ralph to say,
Wiggum...it was really nothing...
But didn't.

Allow me to quote Sideshow Bob...
If you don't know me by nowwww

I quite liked it, but that's because to me it's a Lisa episode. Morrissey is just a pretext to illustrate her own animated " That's How People Grow Up" phase, which I think a lot of us can relate to. At the end of the episode you half expect her to say

And if the festival bit is OTT, it had to be, for her to break the bond with her imaginary friend...And Morrissey has done and said far worse in real life anyway, the silly sausage.

(In case you sent a plump blonde Northern middle-aged woman across the Atlantic, she never landed.)

I think the people who worked on that episode "got it" fine (they got the machine gun Churchill pic reference, for a start, didn't they?) The only person who doesn't seem to "get it" is the "official" spokesperson, completely unaware that Morrissey is using him/her, like many many many before him. Because yes, official he/she is that dumb. You have to be, to pooh-pooh "cheap controversy" when working for Morrissey. It's hard to believe anyone could be so unaware. Homer seems enlightened by comparison. I wonder why Morrissey still does that, hiding behind idiots. (It seems so silly, when your ma is gone, nobody can defend you properly anyway. Everybody knows that.)

And yes, obviously it could be an American. They can't all be as smart as Lisa.
Who could have turned to Ralph to say,
Wiggum...it was really nothing...
But didn't.
Splendidly and eloquently put

It was a bit harsh though, wasn't it? They basically had "80s Morrissey" (whiny but cool) dying of embarrassment over modern Moz ("Winston Churchill") and that's not how the promos set it up. They drew Johnny onstage with modern 'Moz', so I'm guessing it was supposed to be a Smiths reunion?
I agree it was nasty, but as far as fan-fiction goes I don't think it was all that inaccurate. Besides, it's not as if Lisa pulled her Morrissey pin off at the end and tossed it into the trash. If anything, the episode was a brief lesson in separating the art from the artist.

If you don’t support ethnic replacement of Europeans you’re racist! Biggest blatant double speak 1984 lie of all time. Big money needs cheap labour and you’ll subsidize it all andpay for it with expensive food and housing. Profits before Britains

it’s blatant and in your face and everyone is smashed in the face with propaganda on a daily basis they can’t see it.
I only hope Enoch Powell’s prediction of rivers of blood doesn’t come true!
English culture is on life support and being replaced by a soulless cosmopolitan consumer based hell.

I just read the list. It's light on nuance and seems to not understand several of Morrissey's admittedly controversial points. Others lead you to playing a Google game to have to confirm if the people they say are "alt right" or "racist" really are, and guess what? Not convinced. I'm fine with you blocking me, I don't post here often!
Congratulations! Blocked by Skinny is the highest accolade you can be given around here. It basically means that you talk sense, are non-judgemental, are self-aware and are not utterly obsessed by a singer from the 80s. Oh and you can write a coherent sentence. Skinny hates it when people do that. He sets crosswords, you know? About Morrissey.

"Morrissey has never made a cash grab" is a hell of a claim for an artist with more compilation/best-ofs than friends, and was selling other people's albums signed by himself whilst on tour recently.
A cashmere wrapped vegan impostor.
Ugly.

Well it's a reunion of the Snuffs. If Johnny releases a statement about how dare they portray him reuniting a cartoon band, I'll eat my hat.

Back
Top Bottom