Philadelphia, PA - The Academy of Music (June 20, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Will Never Marry / Istanbul / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Now My Heart Is Full / Everyday Is Like Sunday / One Of Our Own / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // First Of The Gang To Die

setlist provided by Johnnymel9

• Morrissey @ The Academy of Music, review and photos (34 total) by Mina Lee - JUMP: The Philly Music Project. Link posted by an anonymous person.

philadelphia.jpg

Last edited:
your right. more invasions to come. these new guys clearly don't get it. bring back Arturo. :)

Twas a great show. Morrissey said this crowd made up for Delaware last night. Some stage invaders at the encore. I was one of them. These new guys have neither the quick eyes nor the gentle hands of Arturo.

The security guy next to me needed to be slapped. He kept blocking our view and he went after all kinds of people like Robocop on meth but he failed to protect the smaller, girl on crutches in front of me (We got her to the front of the stage and she got him to kneel down before her and hold her hand as he sang to her...she was shaking from joy when she left for the night).

Lovely story, did not know Morrissey sang to her. Beautiful, a bit jelly :)

The security guy next to me needed to be slapped. He kept blocking our view and he went after all kinds of people like Robocop on meth but he failed to protect the smaller, girl on crutches in front of me (We got her to the front of the stage and she got him to kneel down before her and hold her hand as he sang to her...she was shaking from joy when she left for the night).

Was there a healing ? Did she throw the crutches after the healing hands touched ?
Hallelujah! Praise the Maurice ! It's a freakin miracle!
I believe ! I believe ! Maurice have mercy on me for I have sinned !
Take me to church Sister !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

Eurydice--I was glad to help with the shirt tear, thanks for my piece. I was able to pass the joy on by sharing it with three other friends. I was one of the people Robocop on meth harassed, but so glad to hear the girl on crutches had that experience with your help. The performance was out of this world!

Eurydice--I was glad to help with the shirt tear, thanks for my piece. I was able to pass the joy on by sharing it with three other friends. I was one of the people Robocop on meth harassed, but so glad to hear the girl on crutches had that experience with your help. The performance was out of this world!

Thank you for all your help! (I'm Mr. Eurydice)

Btw has anyone ever gotten to shake morrisseys hand onstage, i have gotten very close but no dice. Any special moves :) or do i have to exude a special "aura" i would love to invade the stage for a hug, but i'm afraid to get hella tackled by some exmarine security guards, and i'm quite petite i would have gone down like David spade without chris farley and i am afraid to be rejected by moz

Last edited by a moderator:
Niiiice try...niiiice try." That security guard nearly brought Morrissey down with his grabby-McGrab hands. Poor kid. He was no threat until the guard made the kid a friggin' wrecking ball.

Some people take their job very seriously, maybe he failed the police academy. Taking out the anger here. IF i was that kid, i'd yell "is that Stallone!" To confuse him then run like hell towards moz

On another note.... I wonder why the poor girl was in crutches. Very happy for her, must have been amazing. Sending love to her.

The dude clearly hated his life. The way he went after some of the people who WERE IN THEIR SEATS was ridiculous. He looked like this and never once cracked a smile or looked out for the smaller, sweet lady on crutches (who may have had CP or some other physical ailment):

View attachment 34286

I seriously found myself trying to hit him in the face when I'd toss my arms into the air. Bastard swayed from my attempt once and I kept yelling how I couldn't see at him.

Ah know those sort of guards. Drunk on power they are. I wish you had hit him, and i applad your courage to go after him :) btw Gary oldman is on hell of an freakazoid, would not mind to have him creeply breath on people infront of me at the grocery-que until they left.
And Hollywood next time give oldman a better 'stache for godsake it looks like he got it out of a gumball machine for 10 cents. I hope he puts it to good use, like perving over the girls in the catholic school across universal studios (sry for the off topic, oldmanning)

Wow. Such a lovely, congenial, flat-out-fun gig.

Beautiful theatre, packed to the rafters. Morrissey was chatty, warm, and obviously very happy to be in Philadelphia; the crowd was vocal and enthusiastic, and he drank it all in ("right back at you" he said at one point). He thanked us for erasing the memory of Delaware.

It's been said many times, but it's so true: the man has never sounded better. His voice this evening was strong, sure and unwavering. On past tours there have been moments when he's sounded reedy, or his voice has cracked: not tonight. I just can't get over what a powerful singer he continues to be. There were moments when he held and teased a note that just took my breath away.

Highlights for me were: "Now My Heart is Full," "Ganglord" (such powerful footage), "Will Never Marry" and (oddly) "Mamma Lay Softly..." which isn't really one of my favorites, but the lyrics are so sad, and the vocals are so swooping - it's such a delightful, penny dreadful confection of a song, and he sang it with great emotion.

Morrissey was fully "present" for every song: at no point did he phone it in or lose the thread. His energy didn't waver. That being said, the audience wasn't as active as it could have been. I was dancing and having a wonderful time, but where I was (first few rows), it seemed that, while people were clearly enjoying themselves, there wasn't a blood frenzy as in days of yore. Perhaps the time for that kind of audience reaction is well and truly over.

A few caveats: the band is tight, powerful and on point, but they lack a certain "oomph." They're bringing it in at 9.5 (which is great), but Morrissey deserves 11. That moment at the end of "Speedway" where the band switches it up was a bit irritating: some of the most powerful lines in one of Morrissey's most powerful songs just don't have the resonance when Gustavo sings them (Mr. Anaesthesine thought it was delightful though, so to each their own). As always, the set list was just fine, but Morrissey is sitting on one of the greatest back catalogs of all time, and there are songs that deserve to be sung, and seldom are.

I was really struck this evening with how fully "Morrissey" Morrissey still is. I haven't seen him in a long time, but he still has a way of making the stage seem like a living room: great intimacy - it still feels like catching up with an old friend. His comic timing is still so sharp: we're lucky to have such a singular figure still in our midst.

What an excellent review of the concert. I understand what you mean about a lack of frenzy. I myself have lost the fervor that I once held for the man. Only really wanting to hear about 4 songs of the set list wasn't enough to motivate me to attend, but I am glad so many others did and showed why our town is known as the city of brotherly love. I hope he received enough nourishment to continue the tour with strength and a deep desire to perform at his best. I think it bodes well for the next few gigs. So glad you and Eury had a great time.

Last edited:
Its a new phone, so I am still working things out. I didn't decide to start taking video till after the invasions happened.

I panned around to the audience at the end to show the venue was packed to the gills in case some anonymous moron came on here saying the show was only 1/3rd full.

Ex
Its a new phone, so I am still working things out. I didn't decide to start taking video till after the invasions happened.

I panned around to the audience at the end to show the venue was packed to the gills in case some anonymous moron came on here saying the show was only 1/3rd full.

I have the same phone and somehow your stuff looks better!!!

New phone or not...a great video! It's a shame you have to document the size of the crowd, but you sure put to rest any question as to the fact that Philly showed up in force. Easy to see why he makes it a regular stop in the U.S. No cancellations so far and he is in the best voice in recent memory. Happy for you and the others close to the stage. It really is the only way to fully enjoy the Morrissey Experience. Although his charisma does reach to the rafters!

I started to get pulled pretty hard (and I'm not dainty, either...clearly) and my brain went, "Nope. This bitch ain't leaving without a piece of that shirt." Haha! I stood there yelling at the group to cut the damn shirt and I motioned with my fingers as if they were scissors, but everyone simply stood there like dazed cattle, until one clever man grabbed his keys.
That would be my lovely friend Keith. He and another pal whipped out their keys and started cutting the shirt up into pieces. They saved a piece for me. I spotted you and Fred before the show started but I didn't want to be the weirdo who approached you to say I recognized you from the internet. I was in the pit, row DDD center. From the looks of his video, I was quite near Modrevolve.

Anyway, as everyone else already stated, Morrissey delivered a powerhouse performance. His voice was in robust form, bolstered by the venue's crystal clear acoustics. After the disaster of the Firefly set, he seemed headstrong with a chip on his shoulder and a hell of a lot to prove, and that translated to a surprisingly aggressive and high-energy performance, more so than any other time I've seen him. This was the first show in a long time where I wasn't right against the stage, but it didn't matter. The energy of his performance and of the audience was electric. It was nice to see a good number of unfamiliar faces up front, getting a chance to engage with him. He seemed truly grateful to have a rapt audience and made several comments to that effect ("save us from the memory of Delaware," "thank you for your kindness" etc). Philly crowds usually bring it, and while we could have been wilder, we certainly weren't lifeless by any means.

This was also the first time I've left a Morrissey show without hearing complaints about "Meat Is Murder" or his proselytizing. Regardless of whether I agree with all of Morrissey's views or how he chooses to express them, it always baffles me when people complain about this aspect of his live show. He has never been apolitical; whining about being preached to at a Morrissey concert makes as much sense to me as complaining about too many wardrobe changes during a Madonna show, or bemoaning the fact that the Grateful Dead jammed on a song for too long. Politics have always been part and parcel of a Morrissey live show, from the days of the Queen Is Dead signage to the current video projections. Why would people expect anything different? I understand not wanting a lecture as part of a concert experience, but if that's not your bag or you're unable to simply let it in one ear and out the other, Morrissey is the wrong act to see.

Really looking forward to MSG.

Last edited:
This was also the first time I've left a Morrissey show without hearing complaints about "Meat Is Murder" or his proselytizing.

This is important. Last time I saw Moz was in 2007, so it's been a while and I wasn't quite sure what to expect after reading some of the recent reviews regarding the "Meat Is Murder" segment. One person near me quite visibly left in disgust, but that was all. And following, there was some pretty thunderous applause. Moz is going to challenge you, and from what I could tell Philly rolled with it.

I pretty much agree with what everyone has said here (and it's so nice to have a thread that is so far devoid of snark). It wasn't the most emotional Moz show that I've seen, but he's touring some pretty damn good material and I didn't leave thinking that anything was missing. I can't express any more how right on he was vocally. Maybe in the best voice since I started seeing him in 1997.

Show was awesome. Band was great. My hands smell like Morrissey. My cheeks hurt from how great it was and how amazing the people I met were/are.

Is he still wearing the commes le garcon?

Very glad to see Moz has rebounded well after the Delaware Firefly show!

I really don't like the AWFUL biased Billboard article "Teens reject Morrissey At Firefly Festival" It really ticks me off!!! Please defend Moz in the comments friends...
I hate Billboard.

Internet Rule 101: NEVER READ THE COMMENT SECTION.

I would defend him on there, but I'll get sucked into the vortex of trolls and ignoramuses and I have so many other things to do today. Sorry, bud. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Well, someone had to say it. ;)

Well I bet Moz reads those damn comments. You know if you had any discipline you could leave one bloody comment and not interact. Sheesh!

PS. My name is not Bud.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom