Philadelphia, PA - The Academy of Music (June 20, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Will Never Marry / Istanbul / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Now My Heart Is Full / Everyday Is Like Sunday / One Of Our Own / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // First Of The Gang To Die

setlist provided by Johnnymel9

• Morrissey @ The Academy of Music, review and photos (34 total) by Mina Lee - JUMP: The Philly Music Project. Link posted by an anonymous person.

philadelphia.jpg

Last edited:
Great video on youtube of Matt destroying his drum set after Firefly, cute that it is up for auction now. Thanks Philly for a warm reception for Moz..Sounded like a great show.

Man, this Gustavo Speedway thing they've been doing lately certainly sounds odd and unpopular. I've only read annoyed things about it so far. Has anyone who saw it at this show or others actually liked it?

Man, this Gustavo Speedway thing they've been doing lately certainly sounds odd and unpopular. I've only read annoyed things about it so far. Has anyone who saw it at this show or others actually liked it?

I didn't mind it at all. I kind of enjoyed it...oddly enough...since "Speedway" is one of my most favorite songs. It was different and it didn't ruin the song the way I thought it could. The band really brought it and Gustavo did a good job with the vocals...and it was very endearing the way he gestured in Morrissey's direction when he sang "I'll always stay true to you."

I saw him sing the end in NOLA. I didn't hate it, but I was disappointed. It was nice of him to let him sing it and take the center of the stage, but that's a great song of which I really wanted to hear Morrissey sing the end. I was on the front row, and I could see that Gustavo was very excited and nervous to sing it.

I didn't mind it at all. I kind of enjoyed it...oddly enough...since "Speedway" is one of my most favorite songs. It was different and it didn't ruin the song the way I thought it could. The band really brought it and Gustavo did a good job with the vocals...and it was very endearing the way he gestured in Morrissey's direction when he sang "I'll always stay true to you."

Absolutely what I would have said. The switch was new and interesting.

Gustavo has a good voice, but it's not Morrissey. Speedway is one of my favorite Morrissey songs and I think it was one of Morrissey's more personally emotional pieces. The closing lyrics in particular are just key to the song. I remember the first time I saw him in concert and I can still hear Morrissey singing "I could have mentioned your name." There's a certain intensity or raw emotional depth to them that I am really not sure how articulate. Hearing someone other than Morrissey sing it is just odd.

I was there, in front of Eurydice and a bit to the right of the girl with crutches. There is nothing like being that close for such a good show. This was my 15th in the last couple years and I really enjoyed it. I think the band is tighter than they've been and this setlist is great, looking forward to hearing them switch it out a bit over the next few shows.

I don't mind the speedway change up but I love the song too and miss the power of the original finish. I was thrilled to hear One of Our Own, I think it's a stand out on that album.

Seeing the stage invasions up close and re watching on video, the kid needs to take it easy, he was unnecessarily rough and he's not as little or light as he was when Moz was carrying him around a couple years ago. He was In fact the only one whose behavior could have hurt Morrissey, everyone else who got close before being tossed was respectfully gentle.

Hoping video of Everyday is like Sunday surfaces from our side of the stage as I got a handshake early in the song...swooooon!

Onward Worcester!

I was there, in front of Eurydice and a bit to the right of the girl with crutches. There is nothing like being that close for such a good show. This was my 15th in the last couple years and I really enjoyed it. I think the band is tighter than they've been and this setlist is great, looking forward to hearing them switch it out a bit over the next few shows.

I don't mind the speedway change up but I love the song too and miss the power of the original finish. I was thrilled to hear One of Our Own, I think it's a stand out on that album.

Seeing the stage invasions up close and re watching on video, the kid needs to take it easy, he was unnecessarily rough and he's not as little or light as he was when Moz was carrying him around a couple years ago. He was In fact the only one whose behavior could have hurt Morrissey, everyone else who got close before being tossed was respectfully gentle.

Hoping video of Everyday is like Sunday surfaces from our side of the stage as I got a handshake early in the song...swooooon!

Onward Worcester!

You here?
image.jpg

Morrissey sang forever. The band were minister angels, if somewhat bruisers. Every song was the best song in the world and the audience loved largely and I walk home in the glad rain. Thank you.

That made me smile. As did Moz. LOVE HIM now and forever.

I've lost count of the shows my son & I have gone to - but this time we scored tix in CCC right in the middle - he was in front of us a lot!! This show was right up there with Reading! The voice, the eyes, I could even smell the cologne this time - just fantastic!! I loved the arrangement changes - just loved everything. I write for a living, and am still unable to gather any coherent thoughts.

We didn't like these 'guards' this time, especially the guy on the left - we called him "The Stance" due to his, well, stance throughout the show. I don't follow these boards that often - what happened to Arturo? I know people move on, but Arturo was always nice to us.

You have to hand it to Moz keeping true to his beliefs all these years and not giving a shit whether it's PC or not. Wish I had that kind of nerve on the outside (vs. the running commentary on the inside.)

We stood outside in the thunder & lightening storm until about midnight waiting for Moz to return to the bus. He looked fantastic with a crisp white shirt, dark pants & suit coat. A brief head nod and off he went, behind the curtains in the bus.

The Stance doubled as a driver in a vehicle following the bus.

How will we get through the week waiting for MSG?

Was in heaven last night. Saw him for the first time in 1989 and now it's 2015 and the man hasn't lost a step. I was 24 years old again last night and it was bliss. Would have cried were it not so unseemly at my age lol!

Wow. Such a lovely, congenial, flat-out-fun gig.

A few caveats: the band is tight, powerful and on point, but they lack a certain "oomph." They're bringing it in at 9.5 (which is great), but Morrissey deserves 11. That moment at the end of "Speedway" where the band switches it up was a bit irritating: some of the most powerful lines in one of Morrissey's most powerful songs just don't have the resonance when Gustavo sings them (Mr. Anaesthesine thought it was delightful though, so to each their own). As always, the set list was just fine, but Morrissey is sitting on one of the greatest back catalogs of all time, and there are songs that deserve to be sung, and seldom are.

I completely agree; Speedway was a gift, but not having Morrissey sing the second part of the song was a huge disappointment; those lyrics are the most important of the entire piece. I really wanted to hear him sing it.

One of Our Own was amazing. So happy to hear What She Said/ Rubber Ring.

Academy of Music is my all time favorite venue; What a night of perfection.

Keith saved the day! Thank him for me, please. You should have come up and introduced yourself. I did so with Fran (of YouTube fame) and am so happy I did (what a lovely gal!). It could have been fun.

We ended up moving once the lights went down and were in "Purgatorio" between rows BBB and CCC. I could have claimed BBB if Commissioner Gordon let up, but...alas. I agree with the energy level. It was tight! Maybe it's because we were so close and we could feel the music pulsing through our chest cavities...I dunno. Then again, Morrissey's voice was very strong. Amazing, honestly. How does he do it? The end of MiM was powerful as hell. Fred can chime in here because that part greatly affected him. The people behind us left during it. What a shame. It was a robust performance that made me ache for the entire world. :( The way the band laid into those instruments while Morrissey sat down on the floor...Whew...there's an image that won't be leaving any of us too soon.

That show was excellent.

Meat is Murder was incredibly powerful. Tough to watch the footage but cemented the fact that I know we are making the right choice.

Yep, white shirt, short hair.

(First post ever here ...) I was immediately behind you the whole show (also white shirt, looking like a guy for whom the then-new "Louder Than Bombs" was the soundtrack to his junior year of college). Got my first Moz handshake Saturday night. And a Boz guitar pick. The Academy is a great venue for Morrissey. Great show!

The security guy next to me needed to be slapped. He kept blocking our view and he went after all kinds of people like Robocop on meth but he failed to protect the smaller, girl on crutches in front of me (We got her to the front of the stage and she got him to kneel down before her and hold her hand as he sang to her...she was shaking from joy when she left for the night).

Hi! I am the small red headed girl on crutches and I just wanted to thank you and everyone else who helped me get to the front of the stage. I also wanted to thank you and the others for blocking me from the tackling. I really appreciate it!! I waited my whole life to see him live and I finally had the opportunity on Saturday night. It was a dream come true and I am still completely in shock. I can't get the smile off my face!

The security guy next to me needed to be slapped. He kept blocking our view and he went after all kinds of people like Robocop on meth but he failed to protect the smaller, girl on crutches in front of me (We got her to the front of the stage and she got him to kneel down before her and hold her hand as he sang to her...she was shaking from joy when she left for the night).

Hi! I am the short redheaded girl on crutches. I am so glad my incredible best friend found this blog so that I could thank you and everyone else who helped me get to the front of the stage. This was my first time ever seeing him. I waited my entire life to see Morrissey live. It was a dream come true and I am still shocked and can't get the smile off my face. When he held my hand, he gripped it tightly and kept squeezing it. It was truly amazing. Thank you also for helping to block me from the tackling. I can't express how much I appreciate the help. It was an incredible evening that I will never forget.

BEAUTIFUL VENUE, AMAZING SHOW, BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING MAN!!

This is the only show that I could attend this tour because of my work schedule, so I was hoping beyond words that it wouldn't be cancelled after the problems in Delaware. In fact, I called the theater three times on the way just to prepare myself for the worst; instead, I had the pleasure of seeing an incredible concert.

The theater is majestic and ornate, so it suits Morrissey well. He must agree because the two shows that I have seen there have been flawless. As others have said, the venue was packed, and the enthusiasm was evident throughout the whole night. This is why I think Morrissey should avoid festivals and continue without an opening act. The people that attended were there because they truly wanted to see Morrissey, and in turn, he responded to the enthusiasm by delivering an amazing rendition of each song. We've all witnessed how Morrissey's mood is dictated by audience response early on in the show. which I personally understand. I can't imagine what it would be like to step on stage intending to pour your heart and soul out to an audience only to see them talking and texting. I'm sure that some will respond by stating that he is a "professional singer" and he should put the same amount of energy and passion into every perfromance regardless of audience participation, but I wasn't drawn to Morrissey because of his professionalism; I was drawn to him because of his unique talent and his almost psychic ability to say what many of us are thinking and feeling, but cannot or do not say for ourselves. I don't ever want him to be normal or average, even if that means enduring the occasional disappointment. The great moments like this concert wash all of that away.

My personal highlights were:
*Hearing the new material. I was very impressed with WPINOYB, so I really enjoyed having the opportunity to hear some of these songs live. I know that some posters have complained about this and said that the audience wasn't receptive, but I heard many people singing along and the new songs seemed to get the same amount of applause and cheers.
*"Mama Lay Softly on the River Bed" (my favorite song from YOR)
*Reaching up to get another handshake, which was more like a firm grip that sent electricity shooting through my body.
*Being bathed in the scent of his cologne.
*Scoring a drumstick at the end.
*The moment that he asked "Do you feel better..." and the crowd was screaming 'yes', and he said "I'm not finished... do you feel better when you get if off your chest?", and then the crowd screamed even louder and Morrissey gave his sideways smirk.
*Hearing "Now My Heart is Full"and "Will Never Marry": I would have paid the price of admission just to hear those two songs.
*Knowing that, in spite of the ridicule he endured in Delaware, he continues to present his views on animal advocay by playing "Meat is Murder". I always find the song very moving and the video completely unwatchable, but I'm a vegan, so I may have a different reaction. Even if you don't agree, you should still be able to admire his passionate committment to an extremely emotional and controversial issue.
*Seeing familiar faces and meeting new people who were equally overjoyed to be there.

Many people have commented on the switch-up in "Speedway" and I have to say that I'm in agreement that while Gustavo has a beautiful voice, I want to hear Morrissey finish this song. The ending is so deeply personal, it needs to be delivered by him, eyes closed and fists clenched. However, I did see Morrissey smile from behind the keyboard while everyone was playing their alternate parts; so, if he's happy, I'm guessing that it will remain part of the show.

The only slight concern that I have after seeing this concert was his appearance. Yes, he is as gorgeous as ever, and his body looks very fit (sorry to objectify him based on good looks, but if he doesn't want to be objectified then he shouldn't be so damn handsome); but he also looks very tired (I guess it could also be allergies). I hope that he can finish this tour with no cancellations; first of all, I want this so that the nay-sayers will shut up. I also want this for the others who are planning to see him. I hope that they have the opportunity to see a show that is as outstanding as this one was. I think it was Chip who summed it up quite well earlier in the week; if you go to the show with an open-mind, not expecting a particular set-list or number of songs, if you just allow Morrissey to take you for a ride, you are going to have a great time.

lynnda

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom