Philadelphia, PA - The Academy of Music (June 20, 2015) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

Suedehead / Staircase At The University / Ganglord / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Speedway / Kiss Me A Lot / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Will Never Marry / Istanbul / Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed / Now My Heart Is Full / Everyday Is Like Sunday / One Of Our Own / I Will See You In Far-Off Places / Neal Cassady Drops Dead / The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores / The Bullfighter Dies / Meat Is Murder / What She Said // First Of The Gang To Die

setlist provided by Johnnymel9

• Morrissey @ The Academy of Music, review and photos (34 total) by Mina Lee - JUMP: The Philly Music Project. Link posted by an anonymous person.

philadelphia.jpg

Last edited:
Hi! I am the short redheaded girl on crutches. I am so glad my incredible best friend found this blog so that I could thank you and everyone else who helped me get to the front of the stage. This was my first time ever seeing him. I waited my entire life to see Morrissey live. It was a dream come true and I am still shocked and can't get the smile off my face. When he held my hand, he gripped it tightly and kept squeezing it. It was truly amazing. Thank you also for helping to block me from the tackling. I can't express how much I appreciate the help. It was an incredible evening that I will never forget.

I am SO happy for you. I was glad when he came back over a second time and sought you out, I think I saw you reach for him once before? It is instances like this, and the Fran story in Huffington Post this week (met her in Philly too!), that make me smile. I'm sure you'll be walking on air for days.

I caught his shirt (second time I did) and need to thank all of you for allowing me to share as much as possible without mauling me to death! You also gave me a chance to make amends for my for first catch--I caught the shirt in July 2007 in Philadelphia (Mann Music Center) and naively kept it for myself. I had the buttons sewn back on and repaired and still wear it proudly--in fact I was wearing it Sat. night at the Academy of Music. But I didn't know the custom in 2007 and was torched on this very website for my selfish behavior. So I'm glad I had a chance to make amends 8 years later and share the shirt. Great show, great night and great fans!

Hi! I am the small red headed girl on crutches and I just wanted to thank you and everyone else who helped me get to the front of the stage. I also wanted to thank you and the others for blocking me from the tackling. I really appreciate it!! I waited my whole life to see him live and I finally had the opportunity on Saturday night. It was a dream come true and I am still completely in shock. I can't get the smile off my face!

I was seated in your area also. So happy to hear the experience you had! The energy was so positive in our seating section!!

I was also in that pit section on the left side and I agree it was a very positive experience with some lovely folks. And many of us at the front got lovely hand shakes!

I was seated in your area also. So happy to hear the experience you had! The energy was so positive in our seating section!!

I was also seated in that left pit section, and the people over there were great, lots of positive energy and many of us at the stage got nice handshakes!

Last edited:
You were that guy?! I said, "I don't know who that dude was, but I love him. What a sweetheart!" Thank YOU! I started to get pulled pretty hard (and I'm not dainty, either...clearly) and my brain went, "Nope. This bitch ain't leaving without a piece of that shirt." Haha! I stood there yelling at the group to cut the damn shirt and I motioned with my fingers as if they were scissors, but everyone simply stood there like dazed cattle, until one clever man grabbed his keys. Meanwhile, Fred just stood there with the keys in our bag and I think I heard him say "That's my wife!"....Hahaha!

LOL love it...during the excitement, I remember the words "Cut it....Scissors...Key" and my promise was I'm not letting go for you. I was so happy for my seating area. After reading posts here, there were a lot of great people in our section and I wish I had talked to/introduced myself to you, Fred, Fran, IrishEyesSmiling and the others. I was at the Academy of Music show in 2009, same section. Hopefully Mr. M will tour again and comeback around to this venue, great moments always happen in threes!

Last edited:
sounds like a good one. makes me wish id gone to that show even.

BEAUTIFUL VENUE, AMAZING SHOW, BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING MAN!!

This is the only show that I could attend this tour because of my work schedule, so I was hoping beyond words that it wouldn't be cancelled after the problems in Delaware. In fact, I called the theater three times on the way just to prepare myself for the worst; instead, I had the pleasure of seeing an incredible concert.

The theater is majestic and ornate, so it suits Morrissey well. He must agree because the two shows that I have seen there have been flawless. As others have said, the venue was packed, and the enthusiasm was evident throughout the whole night. This is why I think Morrissey should avoid festivals and continue without an opening act. The people that attended were there because they truly wanted to see Morrissey, and in turn, he responded to the enthusiasm by delivering an amazing rendition of each song. We've all witnessed how Morrissey's mood is dictated by audience response early on in the show. which I personally understand. I can't imagine what it would be like to step on stage intending to pour your heart and soul out to an audience only to see them talking and texting. I'm sure that some will respond by stating that he is a "professional singer" and he should put the same amount of energy and passion into every perfromance regardless of audience participation, but I wasn't drawn to Morrissey because of his professionalism; I was drawn to him because of his unique talent and his almost psychic ability to say what many of us are thinking and feeling, but cannot or do not say for ourselves. I don't ever want him to be normal or average, even if that means enduring the occasional disappointment. The great moments like this concert wash all of that away.

My personal highlights were:
*Hearing the new material. I was very impressed with WPINOYB, so I really enjoyed having the opportunity to hear some of these songs live. I know that some posters have complained about this and said that the audience wasn't receptive, but I heard many people singing along and the new songs seemed to get the same amount of applause and cheers.
*"Mama Lay Softly on the River Bed" (my favorite song from YOR)
*Reaching up to get another handshake, which was more like a firm grip that sent electricity shooting through my body.
*Being bathed in the scent of his cologne.
*Scoring a drumstick at the end.
*The moment that he asked "Do you feel better..." and the crowd was screaming 'yes', and he said "I'm not finished... do you feel better when you get if off your chest?", and then the crowd screamed even louder and Morrissey gave his sideways smirk.
*Hearing "Now My Heart is Full"and "Will Never Marry": I would have paid the price of admission just to hear those two songs.
*Knowing that, in spite of the ridicule he endured in Delaware, he continues to present his views on animal advocay by playing "Meat is Murder". I always find the song very moving and the video completely unwatchable, but I'm a vegan, so I may have a different reaction. Even if you don't agree, you should still be able to admire his passionate committment to an extremely emotional and controversial issue.
*Seeing familiar faces and meeting new people who were equally overjoyed to be there.

Many people have commented on the switch-up in "Speedway" and I have to say that I'm in agreement that while Gustavo has a beautiful voice, I want to hear Morrissey finish this song. The ending is so deeply personal, it needs to be delivered by him, eyes closed and fists clenched. However, I did see Morrissey smile from behind the keyboard while everyone was playing their alternate parts; so, if he's happy, I'm guessing that it will remain part of the show.

The only slight concern that I have after seeing this concert was his appearance. Yes, he is as gorgeous as ever, and his body looks very fit (sorry to objectify him based on good looks, but if he doesn't want to be objectified then he shouldn't be so damn handsome); but he also looks very tired (I guess it could also be allergies). I hope that he can finish this tour with no cancellations; first of all, I want this so that the nay-sayers will shut up. I also want this for the others who are planning to see him. I hope that they have the opportunity to see a show that is as outstanding as this one was. I think it was Chip who summed it up quite well earlier in the week; if you go to the show with an open-mind, not expecting a particular set-list or number of songs, if you just allow Morrissey to take you for a ride, you are going to have a great time.

lynnda

So nicely put (as always).

Yes: the mess in Delaware also put me on high alert. I think many of us had visions of Morrissey being thrown off his game enough to cancel the next night. The moment he walked on stage, looked into that beautiful room, and heard the roar of the crowd you could see the glint in his eye: tonight would be the night. As a performer I find Morrissey's "transparency" in that regard quite moving. Comparisons to, say, Paul McCartney reveal this: McCartney is a showman - he'll give you a flawless, professional gig every single time. He'll say the right thing, and be charming, and you'll have a wonderful evening. Much as I revere Paul's talent (and commitment to animal welfare) however, I just don't find him personally compelling - he always puts his best face forward.

Morrissey, on the other hand, is not all that professional: he will occasionally stumble, he'll say exactly what he's thinking when he really shouldn't. He's too sensitive by far, and it always shows. I find it quite moving, however, that he continues to be honest with his audience in that regard, and that he continues to "turn sickness into popular song." Yes: we've all had our share of cancellations and stormings-off, and it's always a kick in the gut. But on a great night you're getting something rare and genuine, and it's unlike what most other performers can (or will) give you. It's tough to rehearse and put together a professional show, but it's tougher still to let people see that inner turmoil. Morrissey often makes it look easy, but these things take their toll.

So nicely put (as always).

Yes: the mess in Delaware also put me on high alert. I think many of us had visions of Morrissey being thrown off his game enough to cancel the next night. The moment he walked on stage, looked into that beautiful room, and heard the roar of the crowd you could see the glint in his eye: tonight would be the night. As a performer I find Morrissey's "transparency" in that regard quite moving. Comparisons to, say, Paul McCartney reveal this: McCartney is a showman - he'll give you a flawless, professional gig every single time. He'll say the right thing, and be charming, and you'll have a wonderful evening. Much as I revere Paul's talent (and commitment to animal welfare) however, I just don't find him personally compelling - he always puts his best face forward.

Morrissey, on the other hand, is not all that professional: he will occasionally stumble, he'll say exactly what he's thinking when he really shouldn't. He's too sensitive by far, and it always shows. I find it quite moving, however, that he continues to be honest with his audience in that regard, and that he continues to "turn sickness into popular song." Yes: we've all had our share of cancellations and stormings-off, and it's always a kick in the gut. But on a great night you're getting something rare and genuine, and it's unlike what most other performers can (or will) give you. It's tough to rehearse and put together a professional show, but it's tougher still to let people see that inner turmoil. Morrissey often makes it look easy, but these things take their toll.

Thank you very much for writing this. These are exactly my feelings and I always wanted to write something similar but englisch isn't my first language. I think Paul McCartney is a very good example and I actually was reminded again of the difference between him and Moz when they both played Firefly. I think when Paul had faced Moz' crowd he would have played exactly the same show as always. Moz is capable of it to some degree but at the end of the day it always shows when he's not into it.

Don't. There's nothing on StubHub and TicketMaster has "limited" seating. Any empty seats (even the crappy ones) will fill in with desperate, last minute fans...like myself. Believe me, I have been looking all morning. You'll be fine! The show will be grand.

There are two row B available now on Hanover's site. If you're gonna run for the border, might as well pole vault into the pit too. If you do go, let me know. It'd be nice to say hi. I'm pit BB for Worcester. Wish I had known all these nice folks were going to be in Philly!

they may not let you get those 2 they are handicap seats and a lot of other seats have sold those have been available for almost a week.. one would they they would have sold before a lot of others

What an excellent review of the concert. I understand what you mean about a lack of frenzy. I myself have lost the fervor that I once held for the man. Only really wanting to hear about 4 songs of the set list wasn't enough to motivate me to attend, but I am glad so many others did and showed why our town is known as the city of brotherly love. I hope he received enough nourishment to continue the tour with strength and a deep desire to perform at his best. I think it bodes well for the next few gigs. So glad you and Eury had a great time.

Thanks evennow. I was talking about this "lack of frenzy" with Mr. Anaesthesine this morning, and we agreed: Morrissey is 56 years old, and the madness of earlier years, when he was younger, gloriously beautiful, and hungrier, lasted far longer than anyone (myself included) would have thought possible. That kind of madness really doesn't make as much sense these days.

I'm sure that Morrissey isn't all that trilled with being an "institution" (although Paul McCartney has been dealing with that for decades). I so admire Morrissey's reluctance to throw in the towel, give the audience his greatest hits, and move on. He still wants to blindside you and (on occasion) he still can. But, like it or not, the man is mellower, and so is his audience.

That's not to say that the frenzy won't still happen - I'm sure there are still some crazy nights ahead. I just don't see the lack of crazy as a minus, or a sign that Morrissey has "lost it." I see it as the next logical phase in his already improbable career. What he has to give now is still profoundly beautiful.

Thank you very much for writing this. These are exactly my feelings and I always wanted to write something similar but englisch isn't my first language. I think Paul McCartney is a very good example and I actually was reminded again of the difference between him and Moz when they both played Firefly. I think when Paul had faced Moz' crowd he would have played exactly the same show as always. Moz is capable of it to some degree but at the end of the day it always shows when he's not into it.

:)

Last edited:
they may not let you get those 2 they are handicap seats and a lot of other seats have sold those have been available for almost a week.. one would they they would have sold before a lot of others

Fair enough. I thought maybe they'd been thrown back as unused by the theatre or the artist. That happens.

There was rain? Wow. I seriously disappeared into a bubble of happiness and sunbeams on my walk home. Haha! I am sleeping with his shirt, too. Good god......

We saw your group; you guys got a lot of hand shakes and the shirt; well done!!! If I had known you were that close to us, I would have said hello. Next time we're at the same show, I'll wear a blue rose so you can spot me (kidding). I'm glad to hear that you had a great time, too; just so sad that I can't get to any more shows. I usually have a four show per tour minimum. Oh well, this one was amazing, so I can't complain. As for the rain, you must have been in a magic place because it was raining so hard that we had a tough time getting back to Cape May.

lynnda

Fair enough. I thought maybe they'd been thrown back as unused by the theatre or the artist. That happens.

I hear ya... I posted the same thing a while ago about them being avalable but the fact they are still there leads me to believe the venue is reserving them.... I am in row A there o n the right... hope my ticked doesnt get all weird when I arrive

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom