Philip Anselmo of Pantera with Dave Hill cover 'Please, Please, Please...'

Video: PHILIP ANSELMO Sings THE SMITHS' 'Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want' - Blabbermouth.net

Excerpt:

Video footage of former PANTERA frontman Philip Anselmo and comedian, radio host, author and musician Dave Hill performing a cover version of THE SMITHS' "Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want" after the screening of their "Metal Grasshopper" web series on Wednesday (July 23) at One Eyed Jacks in New Orleans, Louisiana can be seen below.

In an interview with Radio.com, Anselmo gushed about THE SMITHS, saying: "THE SMITHS are humorous, THE SMITHS are poppy when they wanna be, but also very grim at times. And I think that maybe the more grim stuff might appeal to heavy metallers in a way.

"You think you know depression, grimness and self-loathing? Listen to [THE SMITHS singer] Morrisey.

"THE SMITHS really took me aback, because I'd never really heard a vocalist who was, I guess, androgynous to a certain degree lyrically, be so honest, be so damn honest. And then so bleak, too, at the same time with this edge of humor.

"I always say extreme music comes in all genres. [THE SMITHS] are an extreme band in the same way THE BEATLES were extreme, or QUEEN was extreme. THE SMITHS should be held in that lofty position as well.

"Morrisey's style is original. His voice, when you hear Morrisey, you know it's him. That is the mark of success. Like when you hear King Diamond, it might not be for you, but when you hear him, you know him. That's success, ladies and gentlemen."

Also:

Watch Pantera’s Phil Anselmo Cover The Smiths - Music Feeds

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
More interesting than the song....sung badly....is his comments about the Smith's and Morrissey.

There are many Metal heads that listen to bands such as Metallica, Slayer, Pantera...and others...that also appreciate the Smiths and Morrissey.

The honesty and the humor, vocal ability and the band...... appeals to many that actually listen....

It's not as much the quality of the cover; it's the fact that a former member of Pantera loves, and wants to pay tribute to, the Smiths.

Also I don't think he was being directly racist, he was pointing out a few inconsistencies on what is a sensitive subject, thus difficult to do.

I appreciate Phil Anselmo's enthusiasm, but his voice here is horrible. Slightly offtopic: in the metal world, there is one singer who has many many parallels with Morrissey, and that's Danzig. I'm talking about former band issues, personality, love for cats, talent, incredible voice etc. I'd love to hear a Danzig and Morrissey duet, but i think that's about as likely as a smithsreunion.. Danzig is also -like Morrissey- a huge Lulu fan, check this song out:

Last edited by a moderator:
How disappointing. I thought it was going to be Dave Hill of Slade...

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom