"Please, Please, Please: A Tribute to The Smiths" - final tracklisting, released Dec. 13

This item is out now.

Direct order link:
Please, Please, Please: a tribute to The Smiths - American Laundromat Records

The Wedding Present, Tanya Donelly, Doug Martsch cover The Smiths for new tribute
- Slicing Up Eyeballs

Excerpt:

American Laundromat Records has enlisted a herd of indie-rock luminaries — including The Wedding Present, Built to Spill’s Doug Martsch, Throwing Muses co-founder Tanya Donelly, Telekinesis and Stars — to contribute covers of more than 20 classic songs by The Smiths for a new tribute album to be released this December.

We first reported on Please, Please, Please: A Tribute to the Smiths in its early stages last February, but the 20-song tracklist is now finalized and its release is set for Dec. 13.

Tracklist: Please, Please, Please: A Tribute to The Smiths

1. “Panic” — Kitten
2. “Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before” — The Rest
3. “What Difference Does It Make?” — Joy Zipper
4. “Shoplifters Of The World Unite” — Tanya Donelly w/Dylan in the Movies
5. “Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want” — William Fitzsimmons
6. “I Won’t Share You” — Sixpence None the Richer
7. “Well I Wonder” — Sara Lov
8. “Half A Person” — Greg Laswell
9. “Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me” — Dala
10. “Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others” — Chikita Violenta
11. “Sheila Take A Bow” — Telekinesis
12. “Is It Really So Strange?” — Solvents
13. “Hand In Glove” — The Wedding Present
14. “How Soon Is Now?” — Mike Viola and The Section Quartet
15. “There Is A Light That Never Goes Out” — Trespassers William
16. “Rubber Ring” — Girl in a Coma
17. “I Know It’s Over” — Elk City
18. “What She Said” — Katy Goodman (La Sera, Vivian Girls)
19. “London” — Cinerama
20. “Reel Around the Fountain” — Doug Martsch (Built To Spill)

Exclusive Limited Edition Bonus 7-inch
1. “Asleep” — Stars
2. “Girl Afraid” — C’est la Mort
3. “Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want” — The Caulfield Sisters

cover-web.jpg

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
wouldn't it be a better way to pay tribute to the Smiths to write and perform some original songs that are as good? if you can't do that then the tribute is really just an attempt to sell your band to fans of some established act.

Re: Article: "Please, Please, Please: A Tribute to The Smiths" - final tracklisting,

wouldn't it be a better way to pay tribute to the Smiths to write and perform some original songs that are as good? if you can't do that then the tribute is really just an attempt to sell your band to fans of some established act.

well, would you really go and buy that record? I don't think so. I don't think a tribute album comprised of original songs would be a good idea, to be honest. It would be missing the whole point of doing a tribute.

Re: Article: "Please, Please, Please: A Tribute to The Smiths" - final tracklisting,

well, would you really go and buy that record? I don't think so. I don't think a tribute album comprised of original songs would be a good idea, to be honest. It would be missing the whole point of doing a tribute.

You really cannot read, can you?

That said, I'm only interested in hearing Katy Goodmans version of What She Said. Other than that, I'll pass.

Tribute albums are, more often than not, garbage.

Ah - you know the game too well sir...

So apart from The Wedding Present and Cinerama (which is the Wedding Present) and Girl In A Coma.................. who the f*** are the rest of them????

So apart from The Wedding Present and Cinerama (which is the Wedding Present) and Girl In A Coma.................. who the f*** are the rest of them????

Well, Tanya Donelly and Sixpence are fairly well known. And the Cinerama version is ages old, from the time when they were not yet The Wedding Present but just Gedge and his missus.

apologies for the positivity. but.....as far as i am concerned if there is a couple of good covers, then its a success.

part 3 , all fine, though it would be nice to do a special Manchester bands Smiths covers

Happy Mondays- vicar in a Tutu.

Stone Roses- Bigmouth strikes again.

Noel gallagher- the queen is dead.

Liam Gallaghers band- stop me if you heard this one before.

The fall- I won't share you.

James-nowhwere fast.

New Order- the draize train:lbf:

etc.

Last edited:
Tribute albums are futile. If you wanted to hear Smiths songs, you would listen to the Smiths.

Well, Tanya Donelly and Sixpence are fairly well known. And the Cinerama version is ages old, from the time when they were not yet The Wedding Present but just Gedge and his missus.

well, actually it's more from the time when they stopped being The Wedding Present to become Cinerama (later to become TWP again).
I love that cover, by the way, it's really good.

well, actually it's more from the time when they stopped being The Wedding Present to become Cinerama (later to become TWP again).
I love that cover, by the way, it's really good.

How old is Gedgey these days, 102? LOL

Last I heard he was touring the states with his latest floozy.

Urban the swede (Enjoying the Man City fans shouting "skinhead skinhead" at Old Trafford after beating us 6-1)

How old is Gedgey these days, 102? LOL

Last I heard he was touring the states with his latest floozy.

Urban the swede (Enjoying the Man City fans shouting "skinhead skinhead" at Old Trafford after beating us 6-1)

Urban, you'll be supporting City next season along with half of Swedes, Danes, Finns and Norweigans ;)
From your old Blue friend from the chat XX

Urban, you'll be supporting City next season along with half of Swedes, Danes, Finns and Norweigans ;)
From your old Blue friend from the chat XX

If I did support United from more than a sporting reason then I think you would be right. There is a tragic political correctness amongst United fans and in particular the local fans.

That is why I liked the chanting of "skinhead skinhead" from your lot yesterday. Many United fans have shaved heads and are far right, still on match days at home they keep their mouths shut. Away in Europe on the other hand those people totally rule.

If I was to support another side out of political reasons it would probably be Millwall because the Chelsea of old is gone. And we already have new City fans here but they are all arab muslims because of your owners. Strange as it may seem we do not have any jewish United fans in Sweden.

We needed this kick up the backside and I have always hated Rio Ferdinand and Anderson. Evra cannot defend for his life and I could go on. Great win for you and I congratulate you already to the title cause you will not drop many points this season.

Sadly this season many top games are played at the same time making it impossible to follow all games like in the past so I have decided to watch United for free online and watch only United games from now on due to lack of time and disinterest in the other sides.

Cheers luv XX

Urban the swede (Champ19ns)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom