Poll: How many copies will I Am Not A Dog On A Chain sell in it’s first week in the UK

How many copies will I Am Not A Dog On A Chain sell in it’s first week in the UK

• over 25,000

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • 18,001 to 25,000

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • 8,000 to 18,000

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • under 8,000

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

How many copies will I Am Not A Dog On A Chain sell in it’s first week in the UK.

Over 25,000.

It'll enter the UK album charts at number 1.

Worth pointing out the significance of these figures.
World Peace sold 18,000 in week 1
High School sold 25,000.
California Son sold just 8,000 (first release since announcing his official support for a far-right political party).
The singles from Dog on a Chain, although generally acclaimed, have received close to zero support on UK radio for the first time ever (in the history of a Morrissey album).

World Peace - around 18,000 sold
High School - around 25,000 sold
California Sun - around 8,000 sold

By point of comparison, Green Day's recent album topped the UK chart with 23,000 units in week one, and the BTS album had the year's highest opening week sales so far with 38,000 units.

Given the absolute lack of radio play (and so many former fans choosing to abandon ship), I'll be amazed if IANADOAC shifts more than 10,000 in the first week, maybe just about Top 5?

By point of comparison, Green Day's recent album topped the UK chart with 23,000 units in week one, and the BTS album had the year's highest opening week sales so far with 38,000 units.
Given the absolute lack of radio play (and so many former fans choosing to abandon ship), I'll be amazed if IANADOAC shifts more than 10,000 in the first week, maybe just about Top 5?
Good analysis, BB. The drop-off from High School to California was catastrophic especially when you consider both had similar reviews and radio exposure. It's hard to know if some of that drop was due to CS being a covers album. Maybe a little of it was. We are pretty much in a zero airplay situation for Dog Chain - unprecedented. If the first reviews are representative, though, it seems as if it will have a lot more critical acclaim than recent albums but will that actually make much difference without airplay? I agree with you - 10,000 is sadly now an ambitious target. Bobby and Knockabout are brilliant songs - the latter has his catchiest chorus since the glory days of Bona Drag. Had radio not (understandably) boycotted the songs, the album should have been looking to shift 30,000 in week 1.

Good analysis, BB. The drop-off from High School to California was catastrophic especially when you consider both had similar reviews and radio exposure. It's hard to know if some of that drop was due to CS being a covers album. Maybe a little of it was. We are pretty much in a zero airplay situation for Dog Chain - unprecedented. If the first reviews are representative, though, it seems as if it will have a lot more critical acclaim than recent albums but will that actually make much difference without airplay? I agree with you - 10,000 is sadly now an ambitious target. Bobby and Knockabout are brilliant songs - the latter has his catchiest chorus since the glory days of Bona Drag. Had radio not (understandably) boycotted the songs, the album should have been looking to shift 30,000 in week 1.

At this point in UK politics, a boycott wouldn't be understandable. It would be pathetic & lacking in self-awareness.

The queue of the cancelled gets ever longer.

Had radio not (understandably) boycotted the songs, the album should have been looking to shift 30,000 in week 1.

So, explain what's so 'understandable' about this alleged 'boycott' which you managed to invent in your sleep? What's in those songs which might have led to a 'boycott'? Nothing really is there?

So, explain what's so 'understandable' about this alleged 'boycott' which you managed to invent in your sleep? What's in those songs which might have led to a 'boycott'? Nothing really is there?
The boycott is nothing to do with the songs - it's everything to do with the singer. The previously Morrissey-friendly UK radio stations have all decided against playing any of his new songs. Spent the Day in Bed got blanket exposure including the A-list on Europe's most popular station (Radio 2) and Britain's number 1 indie station (Radio X).
Now the national BBC stations won't give his new songs a single spin despite them easily being as good/catchy as Spent the Day if not much more so. Personally, I don't think they should have done, and I have tweeted asking them to play his new songs (coz they're great) but they've obviously made a decision to have nothing to do with him, like several UK record stores, club nights, indie websites etc.

It's not really a boycott as such, though. He's just made himself a bit unpopular and unfashionable.

It's not really a boycott as such, though. He's just made himself a bit unpopular and unfashionable.

Yes. That's about it. I don't think it'll last too long. He's good copy. And the type of artist built to be damned & redeemed. It's a quirk that he ended up associated with the Puritan left, he's decadent Catholic to the core.

The hard reality is that the songs are not very good and no one wants to hear them.

First UK figures come out tonight.
If it's got past 10,000 by now, the BBC boycott will have made relatively little difference, and he might be OK for future record deals. The generally positive reviews and the sharing of songs on YouTube etc. will have compensated for the BBC (and other radio station) boycotts.
It it's under 5,000, the boycott (and all the other negative stuff) has had a huge impact, and there's a good chance this will be his last new album.
If it's between 5,000 and 10,000 by now, the long term implications will be hard to call.

Yes. That's about it. I don't think it'll last too long. He's good copy. And the type of artist built to be damned & redeemed. It's a quirk that he ended up associated with the Puritan left, he's decadent Catholic to the core.

It's lasted 2 years already, that's quite a while.

First UK figures come out tonight.
If it's got past 10,000 by now, the BBC boycott will have made relatively little difference, and he might be OK for future record deals. The generally positive reviews and the sharing of songs on YouTube etc. will have compensated for the BBC (and other radio station) boycotts.
It it's under 5,000, the boycott (and all the other negative stuff) has had a huge impact, and there's a good chance this will be his last new album.
If it's between 5,000 and 10,000 by now, the long term implications will be hard to call.
What I will say is I listen to the Ken Bruce show then the Jeremy Vine show from 9.30am to 2pm on Radio 2 Mon to Fri where the music is very eclectic but not great music, it's just I like the general content & chat of both shows.At 2pm i have to turn off Radio 2 as the Steve Wright show is unlistenable as the music on this show is truly dreadful and i know this through listening on a few occasions to see if the music had improved, it hadn't. What I'm trying to say is, the panel who pick the music for three core daytime shows on Radio 2 have to my ears given up on playing great music and should try and improve that side as the shows and DJ's are essentially decent so it's no surprise Moz isn't making their playlists, they're really not putting decent music on their daytime shows anymore.

Back
Top Bottom