Poll: Morrissey's best solo co-writer is...?

Who is/was Morrissey's Best SOLO Co-Writer (min of 4 songs written with Morrissey)?

• Stephen Street

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Mark E. Nevin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alain Whyte

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • Boz Boorer

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Jesse Tobias

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Gustavo Manzur

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

SuedeMoz

Note: The poll contains co-writers who've written 4 or more songs with Morrissey, so Andy Rourke, Clive Langer, Spencer Cobrin, etc. are excluded. Please cast your vote and comment below.

UPDATE: over 1,000 views on this thread but under 50 votes so far ... PLEASE vote if you haven't so we'll get more statistically relevant results.

Last edited:
For me, Boz Boorer just edging out Stephen Street.
The worst of these is Jesse Tobias by a country mile.

I voted for Alain based on quantity (and quality of course) of material. However, I think if Stephen Street had done more collaborations with Morrissey he might've been a strong contender.

Note: The poll contains co-writers who've written 4 or more songs with Morrissey, so Andy Rourke, Clive Langer, Spencer Cobrin, etc. are excluded. Please cast your vote and comment below.

Alain wrote nearly 70 songs for Morrissey.
15 or so really were great but the other 50 ranged from passable to absolutely dismal.
Nowhere near the quality of the Stephen Street compositions.
In the biggest poll ever of all 300 songs that Morrissey sang, there wasn't a single Alain Whyte composition in the top 20. Says it all really. He just didn't quite have that magical songwriting ability. Good to great at his very best but never exceptional.

Alain wrote nearly 70 songs for Morrissey.
15 or so really were great but the other 50 ranged from passable to absolutely dismal.
Nowhere near the quality of the Stephen Street compositions.
In the biggest poll ever of all 300 songs that Morrissey sang, there wasn't a single Alain Whyte composition in the top 20. Says it all really. He just didn't quite have that magical songwriting ability. Good to great at his very best but never exceptional.

Total bollocks. Who cares about polls? And I'd love to see your "absolutely dismal" Whyte numbers. "Sorrow Will Come In The End" is the only true dismal Whyte co-write and it isn't even his fault. "Life is a Pigsty" ranks in my top 10 solo songs (top 20 if you include Smiths).

Last edited:
Here we have the 30 greatest Morrissey-sung songs (i.e. including Smiths) in the biggest poll ever conducted (with tens of thousands of votes cast). And how many Alain Whyte songs? Just one. www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/the-moz-smiths-top-100-final-results-2014.133795/

Says it all, really. Alain was the master of the quite good song but hardly ever reached the top level of songwriting excellence. He actually wrote one more song for Morrissey than Johnny Marr ever did, and to have just one composition make the top 30 is shocking stuff.

The worst songs Morrissey ever sang (e.g. Roy's Keane, Father must be Killed, Dagenham Dave, most of Southpaw Grammar) were nearly all Morrissey/Whyte compositions. At his very best, yes, a few songs did indeed deserve places on the albums but he should he never really have been the main songwriter.

Of the top 30, 22 were by Johnny Marr, 4 by Stephen Street, 3 by Boorer, 1 by Whyte.

1 There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (1986), average rating: 9,87
2 I Know It’s Over (1986) 9,57
3 Still Ill (1984) 9,56
4 Everyday Is Like Sunday (1988) 9,53
5 Speedway (1994) 9,53
6 Now My Heart Is Full (1994) 9,52
7 Suedehead (1988) 9,52
8 Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want (1984) 9,52
9 This Charming Man (1983) 9,50
10 The Queen Is Dead (1986) 9,50
11 The Headmaster Ritual (1985) 9,47
12 The Last Of The Famous International Playboys (1989) 9,44
13 Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me (1987) 9,42
14 Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself (1994) 9,41
15 Reel Around The Fountain (1984) 9,41
16 Panic (1985) 9,40
17 The Boy With The Thorn In His Side (1985) 9,40
18 Rubber Ring (1985) 9,39
19 That Joke Isn’t Funny Anymore (1985) 9,36
20 Stop Me If You Think You’ve Heard This One Before (1987) 9,35
21 Bigmouth Strikes Again (1986) 9,34
22 How Soon Is Now? (1984) 9,32
23 Well I Wonder (1985) 9,31
24 Hand In Glove (1983) 9,30
25 Shoplifters Of The World Unite (1987) 9,28
26 Jack The Ripper (1992) 9.28
27 Cemetry Gates (1986) 9,27
28 William It Was Really Nothing (1984) 9,26
29 Late Night, Maudlin Street (1988) 9,19
30 Half A Person (1987) 9,15

Here we have the 30 greatest Morrissey-sung songs (i.e. including Smiths) in the biggest poll ever conducted (with tens of thousands of votes cast). And how many Alain Whyte songs? Just one. www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/the-moz-smiths-top-100-final-results-2014.133795/

Says it all, really. Alain was the master of the quite good song but hardly ever reached the top level of songwriting excellence. He actually wrote one more song for Morrissey than Johnny Marr ever did, and to have just one composition make the top 30 is shocking stuff.

The worst songs Morrissey ever sang (e.g. Roy's Keane, Father must be Killed, Dagenham Dave, most of Southpaw Grammar) were nearly all Morrissey/Whyte compositions. At his very best, yes, a few songs did indeed deserve places on the albums but he should he never really have been the main songwriter.

Of the top 30, 22 were by Johnny Marr, 4 by Stephen Street, 3 by Boorer, 1 by Whyte.

14 Why Don’t You Find Out For Yourself (1994) 9,41

First you said Alain didn't have a single co-write in the top 20. Then we find out he had a top #14. Epic fail. And why no Pigsty, Irish Blood, or Alma Matters in the top 20? This is why I could care less about the poll. Use YOUR ears, not someone else's opinion.

First you said Alain didn't have a single co-write in the top 20. Then we find out he had a top #14. Epic fail. And why no Pigsty, Irish Blood, or Alma Matters in the top 20? This is why I could care less about the poll. Use YOUR ears, not someone else's opinion.

So it's your opinion that Alain is the best co-writer. And it's all these people's opinions that he's not. It's almost as if this is an opinion poll or something.

So it's your opinion that Alain is the best co-writer. And it's all these people's opinions that he's not. It's almost as if this is an opinion poll or something.

I never claimed Alain was the best co-writer. It's just unwise to conclude that he was a poor songwriter simply because he didn't have a certain number of songs in a top whatever poll as the anonymous argued.

this is easy to know

BEST

BOZ
JESSE
GUSTAVO

WORSE

Alain Twat:pileofpoop:
Mr Cometry
:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:

Back
Top Bottom