Poll: Morrissey's best solo co-writer is...?

Who is/was Morrissey's Best SOLO Co-Writer (min of 4 songs written with Morrissey)?

• Stephen Street

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Mark E. Nevin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alain Whyte

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • Boz Boorer

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Jesse Tobias

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • Gustavo Manzur

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
Nevin has also said that he never meant the songs on Kill Uncle to be finished compositions. When he sent the music to Morrissey, he though Moz would send them back with some ideas for lyrics, so he could work more on them, send them back to M. and so on. Likea proper collaboration. So he was shocked that Moz just put his vocals on them and then released them. Then he wrote a whole album's worth of music for Your Arsenal, only to hear on the finished album that only two of them had ended up there and that his efforts were no longer needed. So we never really heard what proper Morrissey/Nevin collaborations would have been, had Mark learnt the right way to work with The Man.

I would have been interested to see how the Nevin/Morrissey songwriting partnership might have progressed as he's obviously a competent composer but obviously wasn't to be. The majority of the Street compositions were gold and I definitely would have like to have seen that field further ploughed.

The majority of the Street compositions were gold and I definitely would have like to have seen that field further ploughed.

True, Street never wrote a bad tune. I've always wondered how Journalists Who Lie would have turned out if it was properly recorded with Street and not the Kill Uncle musicians.

Poor Mark E Nevin, I think the music to Kill Uncle is great, but little can survive the damage done by that production.

Is there a best producer poll yet?

Steve Lillywhite for Vauxhall.
Mick Ronson for Arsenal, and Street for Viva,though very different, are both at second place for me.
Third place goes to Visconti for ROTT.

You're right on kill uncle. A less thin sound would be better...

I ve Always thinking that the Smiths and Morrissey records was bad produced. Exception for some B sides in 1984 like heaven knows or please... or some B sides in 1986/1987 like unloveable...

Last edited:
I would have been interested to see how the Nevin/Morrissey songwriting partnership might have progressed as he's obviously a competent composer but obviously wasn't to be.

Nevin is obviously also a very versatile chap, since when Morrissey commissioned some rockabilly-tinged songs, he delivered Pregnant For The Last Time, The Loop and You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side. Then on the other hand his career really consists of one number one single and not much else well-known, so he obviously would have needed a great personality like Morrissey to really have gone down on musical history. Sadly his and Morrissey's paths converged when the latter was a bit lost.

Actually, no, not so sure. This lists Forgive Someone (Wikipedia) as Morrissey/Boz Boorer. Can anyone give us a definite answer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_recorded_by_Morrissey
From BMI:

20190114_183051.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom