Q&A: Boz Boorer, Singer-Songwriter and chief Morrissey collaborator - lasvegasweekly.com

Q&A: BOZ BOORER, SINGER-SONGWRITER AND CHIEF MORRISSEY COLLABORATOR - Las Vegas Weekly

Boz Boorer has been Morrissey’s musical right-hand man (that’s co-songwriter, guitarist and musical director) for almost 23 years. Which means he did it 18 years longer than guitarist Johnny Marr did during the lifespan of The Smiths, and yet Boorer—also the founding member of longtime U.K. rockabilly act The Polecats—remains still somewhat unknown among indie/alternative circles.

Excerpt:

Moz sometimes makes comments about not keeping friends very long, but you have worked with him now for over two decades. Why do you think your relationship works so well?

I really have no idea!

Do you find insult or fatigue with the journalists who always ask Morrissey if he’ll reunite with Johnny Marr, especially considering you’ve been his primary music man so many years now?

It's become a little boring after so many years!

Do you feel you have adequate time to make your own music and play/tour it outside of being Morrissey’s music director?

Being musical director is my main purpose, everything else fits around it.

boz_boorer_by_carmen_chaplin_t1000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
they don't realize that we know but just don't care. It's mostly a dress-up roleplay scene and not very much about the music. Funny how white people want to relive the 1950's forever.

White people? The only people I ever see dressing-up in rockabilly clothes are Mexicans in L.A.

Do you find a lot of Yanks are mostly ignorant or underexposed to rockabilly? When you do these sort of gigs in the US, can it feel like you’re the Englishman teaching American youth about the music of their own heritage—and is that weird at all?"

Do you find a lot of Brit-Limey-Redcoats know that they are pompous, arrogant, ignorant, rude, & their country is being overrun by people from the Middle East and India?

Re: Q&A: Boz Boorer, Singer-Songwriter and chief Morrissey collaborator - lasvegasweekly.com

Do you find a lot of Brit-Limey-Redcoats know that they are pompous, arrogant, ignorant, rude, & their country is being overrun by people from the Middle East and India?
He's American isn't he?

I know I stand alone, but I really like People are the Same Everywhere. It's one in a long line of light bouncy pop ditties -- All You Need is Me, You're the One for Me, Fatty, Sing Your Life, Alma Matters etc. And before anyone brands me a brainwashed fan with no critical faculty, there are plenty of Morrissey songs I'm not too keen on.

No I really like it as well. Not his deepest lyric but I find the song catchy and as you say very much in the 'Fatty' type canon of Moz pop ditties. What would I know though, I liked 'Daddy's Voice' as well, LOL.

Sadly Misguided Angel, I don't think The Smiths will ever be in the R & R Hall of Fame . While huge in the U. K. , they were just starting to get name recognition in the USA when the break up happened. Move the Hall of Fame to Europe then The Smiths would easily get in. If you live in the US just ask 10 people outside of your social circle if they heard of The Smiths or better yet let them hear some of the best Smith' work . You will get a blank look of wonder . Most people just don't know the enchanting sound they gave us.

The interviewer seems to be an American citizen, according to his staff biography.

By the way, I've noticed you throwing around the Brit/limey/redcoat thing once or twice. I think you believe it's equivalent to the 'N' word for us. I've never met a Brit, limey or a redcoat who wouldn't find it rather cute to be called any of those things. The British Army last wore the scarlet tunic in battle 128 years ago yesterday: another win. :)

Like whites in the US being called a cracker it simply doesn't carry the weight you think it does. Actually I don't think the English in particular really have an epithet which gets under their skin. Tommy? Nope. That's great too. Hmmmm. I'll try and think of one for you.

Our Empire disappeared, yours is rapidly going the same way and the Chinese are coming. In a century or so our ancestors might well be saying "Those Brits and Yanks weren't a bad lot really, were they? Any more labrador? I'm starving."

Last edited:
pompous, arrogant, ignorant, rude

ah the average american to a T

Did they realise their desert nation is being overrun by ancestors slave of their slaves and hispanics and rascists?

Barely lorn - thought your comments were spot on until your last sentence.........dick

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom