Question about Jake?

edit:
MOZ stated in OBSERVER(26 Feb 95):"I HAVE HAD an relationship which opened up a crucial area within me.
There is something unstoppable about the Wilde story, and my own" "A Walk On The Wilde Side", interview by MICHAEL BRACEWELL.

RTE Guide Jan 96: moz said:"Around Vauxhall,thats where it all came to a head: Personal life Private Life you know?"
jake moved into moz`s house in camden for a certain time. acc to an uncut interview in 98 and confirmed by jake himself
my observation as well as pandora cocteau`s
that the song whatever happens, i love you could be about jake
i am thinking about the line "we stole each other`s clothes" cause moz did wear this white jacket that jake always wear on some promopics (he wears it also on the q awards-pic with suede singer and on a few other occasions/photoshoots) and it looks it a few sizes too small for him so i gues its jake`s jacket
so the song could be about him. or at least be inspired by him..
as well as now i am a was, you should have been nice to me

here is a thread about the comfusion on jake owen /jake walters
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=54320&highlight=Jake+Owen

here is jake as being shown as one of the photographers of the national portrait gallery
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...s,+national+portrait+gallery&gbv=2&hl=en&sa=G

Last edited:
Interesting to re-read that thread. But looking at the right-hand photo in the below panel from Jake Walters' (professional photographer) site -- isn't that Jake Owen taking the photo? Unless they had the same haircut and white denim jacket...I don't get it. It's similar to the shot on the promo cover of the US single (have I got that right?) of Now My Heart Is Full, where Jake (Owen?) is taking photo together with shirtless Moz in the mirror.

Attachments

• 1162512676.jpg
    1162512676.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 59
Sistasheila,

I think you're right about 'Whatever Happens'.

I saw Moz at brixton on the 1995 Boxers tour just after Jake had apparently disappeared from view.

Moz looked effing depressed on that tour I might add and it didn't surprise me that he he had a virtual breakdown later that year when he walked off the Bowie tour.

Anyways when he came to sing 'Whatever happens' he changed the lyric from 'we stole each other's clothes' to 'we WORE each others clothes' which i felt was a direct reference to what you mentioned.

Also King Leer I happen to think Jake Owen/Walters are the same person. Everyone on this site gets so worked up between the different surnames but I think somewhere along the way his surname either got mixed up by a journalist or perhaps he even wanted a different surname for whatever reason.

Don''t forget if you'd followed the career of New Order Bernard has gone under the guise of Dicken/Albrecht/Sumner at various stages, perhaps this is a similiar case.

I for instance have a friend that changed his surname back to his mother's maiden name because he hated his father so much. These things do happen. So I'm with you, there was/is only one Jake.

Interesting to re-read that thread. But looking at the right-hand photo in the below panel from Jake Walters' (professional photographer) site -- isn't that Jake Owen taking the photo? Unless they had the same haircut and white denim jacket...I don't get it. It's similar to the shot on the promo cover of the US single (have I got that right?) of Now My Heart Is Full, where Jake (Owen?) is taking photo together with shirtless Moz in the mirror.

wait, you didn't mean The More You Ignore Me promo, did you? (which is from your old thread reposted by sistasheila...)
Morrissey-The-More-You-Igno-25522b.jpg

Sistasheila,

I think you're right about 'Whatever Happens'.

I saw Moz at brixton on the 1995 Boxers tour just after Jake had apparently disappeared from view.

Moz looked effing depressed on that tour I might add and it didn't surprise me that he he had a virtual breakdown later that year when he walked off the Bowie tour.

Anyways when he came to sing 'Whatever happens' he changed the lyric from 'we stole each other's clothes' to 'we WORE each others clothes' which i felt was a direct reference to what you mentioned.

Also King Leer I happen to think Jake Owen/Walters are the same person. Everyone on this site gets so worked up between the different surnames but I think somewhere along the way his surname either got mixed up by a journalist or perhaps he even wanted a different surname for whatever reason.

So I'm with you, there was/is only one Jake.

interesting, bhops.

also in general,
in his old thread (reposted by sistasheila), king leer listed this jake walters photographer website: http://www.jakewalters.com/ ....clicking on "archive" at the top on the homepage leads you to those pics of morrissey (that king leer showed above), in the "01" spot.

that isn't jake in "archive" pic "07", is it? :confused:

Last edited:
and the middle photo of that "01" "archive' panel shows moz in that white jacket sistasheila described, and then jake in it in the next photo over ("wearing each others' clothes" ;)):

1162512676.jpg

Last edited:
tap tap tap

interesting, bhops.

also in general,
in his old thread (reposted by sistasheila), king leer listed this jake walters photographer website: http://www.jakewalters.com/ ....clicking on "archive" at the top on the homepage leads you to those pics of morrissey (that king leer showed above), in the "01" spot.

Yeah i'm pretty sure it's the same Jake all the way through.

if you take the surname out of the equation it always leads back to the same Jake.

At the time of the Vauxhall record signings at HMV Jake was identified as being in the band 'Big Hard Excellent Fish' I think they were called and it showed a photo of him with the singer Josie Jones, again same Jake.

Remember how Moz has used 'Imperfect list'several times since on his outro/intro music when playing live, which I always thought was a sweet acknowledgment.

Now if you argue that Jake Owen and Jake Walters are indeed 2 different people then you would have to work on the supposition that the photo you mentioned on the Jake Walters website is actually of Jake Owen and Morrissey, because that's definately the Jake that we the fans know. That makes no sense!!

I think they just think they got his surname wrong for whatever reason and it's been sending the fans on this site into a spin ever since!!

I'm not sure what Moz thinks of all this. I'd like to think it faintly amuses him but I have the feelings it probably pains him for the obvious nostalgic reasons.

Oh and also if he was in a band it makes sense that he could well drift into photography, you know how these 'arty' types are-just think Linder.

Well, I've always wondered about that but nobody's ever confirmed it. It seemed a bit odd that he'd have Two Jakes (pun intended) hanging around at the same time in his career. Although some people said that Jake Owen's photos (such as on the back of Vauxhall) are obviously the mark of an amateur, while Walters' were/are not.

The only picture I've ever been able to find of Jake Walters the photographer is the attached image from the National Portrait Gallery site (it was part of a series of photos of photographers taken in 2000). He's third from the right. Is that the same guy?? If it is -- mystery solved once and for all. I could've looked up a larger version on their computer system when I visited the NPG a couple months ago but didn't think. Somebody pop over.

So it's Jake Walters (formerly Owen) with a career spanning boxing, Morrissey assistant and professional photographer? Bizarre.

Edit: I posted this before reading your follow-up. Very well broken down -- I agree with it all.

Sistasheila,

Don''t forget if you'd followed the career of New Order Bernard has gone under the guise of Dicken/Albrecht/Sumner at various stages, perhaps this is a similiar case.

I for instance have a friend that changed his surname back to his mother's maiden name because he hated his father so much. These things do happen. So I'm with you, there was/is only one Jake.

Last edited:
Well, I've always wondered about that but nobody's ever confirmed it. It seemed a bit odd that he'd have Two Jakes (pun intended) hanging around at the same time in his career. And some people said that Jake Owen's photos (such as on the back of Vauxhall) are obviously the mark of an amateur, while Walters' were/are not.

The only picture I've ever been able to find of Jake Walters the photographer is the attached image from the National Portrait Gallery site (it was part of a series of photos of photographers taken in 2000). He's third from the right. Is that the same guy?? If it is -- mystery solved once and for all. I could've looked it up on their computer system when I visited the NPG a couple months ago but didn't think. Somebody pop over.

So it's Jake Walters (formerly Owen) with a career spanning boxing, Morrissey assistant and professional photographer? Bizarre.

King Leer,

I'm pretty sure tha's him with slightly longer hair-emphasis on slightly.

And yes kind of bizarre carrer but no more bizarre than Linder's for instance and I think the boxer part was a little bit overstated by the press.

Yes, that's the one. My mistake (blame it on slowly decreasing neurons).
no problem, you had it correct there in your original "two jakes" thread...i got it from there...:)

decreasing in number or in activity?

At the time of the Vauxhall record signings at HMV Jake was identified as being in the band 'Big Hard Excellent Fish' I think they were called and it showed a photo of him with the singer Josie Jones, again same Jake.

Remember how Moz has used 'Imperfect list'several times since on his outro/intro music when playing live, which I always thought was a sweet acknowledgment.

Now if you argue that Jake Owen and Jake Walters are indeed 2 different people then you would have to work on the supposition that the photo you mentioned on the Jake Walters website is actually of Jake Owen and Morrissey, because that's definately the Jake that we the fans know. That makes no sense!!
about the imperfect list, yes, this post by "joe frady" shows up on that old thread as well:

The Three Jakes ?
> Just to add to the confusion ~
If you read the copyright/publishing info in the insert from the "Who Put the 'M' in Manchester ?" DVD you'll notice that one of the names responsible for 'Imperfect List' by Big Hard Excellent Fish is one Jake Walters. It also says that the Master was licensed from Walters/Jones/Way.
I would imagine this means that every time that bloody song got played throughout the 2004 tour Mr. Jake Walters was getting a little beer money.
Which is sweet.
joe.

Last edited:
So maybe "Jake Owen" was simply the name he used in his Moz assistant position and that's all there is to it.

It's interesting that "Imperfect List" has kept the link between Moz and Jake alive, because despite an interesting sound and good vocal delivery, some of that list is massively out of date.

Jake still "on the payroll," then? Judging by the celebrities he's photographing, he doesn't need it!

King Leer,
I'm pretty sure tha's him with slightly longer hair-emphasis on slightly.
from what i can make out of him from the small photo, it strongly resembles all the other pics of jake we've seen. i tend to agree.

did you mean that to also apply to pic 07? (edit: and i mean that jake is the guy IN the picture)
which is this
1162501457.jpg

Last edited:
In print? Someone with better archives or powers of recall could probably cite some articles.

It could've been something as simple as Walters introducing himself as "Owen" to journalists to separate one part of his career from another, from which it perpetuated.

with all the references to jake walters about, where did you hear about his last name being "owen"?

In print? Someone with better archives or powers of recall could probably cite some articles.

It could've been something as simple as Walters introducing himself as "Owen" to journalists to separate one part of his career from another, from which it perpetuated.

I believe he was credited only once as Jake Owen, I think it was in Peepholism.

Otherwise he has always to the best of my knowledge been credited as Jake Walters-it was just that once that has started the Jake frenzy that has raged on this website for over 2 years now.

ok, i just found something referencing jake owen from this page:
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/moz-d23myim.htm

"The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get"
February/March 1994

Artwork information:
Morrissey, photographed by Linder Sterling (front only). The UK promo described above shows Morrissey with Jake Owen, boxer and friend. Photo taken by Jake through a mirror.

Then others like boxers, now my heart is full, and hold on to your friends, credit: jake walters

http://passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/moz-d29boxers.htm
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/moz-d28nmhif.htm
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/moz-d26holdon.htm

ok, i just found something referencing jake owen from this page:
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/moz-d23myim.htm

"The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get"
February/March 1994

Artwork information:
Morrissey, photographed by Linder Sterling (front only). The UK promo described above shows Morrissey with Jake Owen, boxer and friend. Photo taken by Jake through a mirror.

Then others like boxers, now my heart is full, and hold on to your friends, credit: jake walters

http://passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/moz-d29boxers.htm
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/moz-d28nmhif.htm
http://passionsjustlikemine.com/disc/moz-d26holdon.htm

Yeah this is where the confusion has started.

But as I've said before trail back to the Jakewalters website. In his portrait page he has a photo of Morrissey and Jake. Again this looks like a photograph taken in a mirror. Now if that is a photo of Morrissey and Jake Owen then why the flipping heck would jake Walters include that on his website?

This is the last I will say on this, i turn this debate over to others.

Back
Top Bottom