Questions about the nature and history of this forum

Here's 10 years of General Discussion threads separated in to years via the archive.
You will see a lot of the same opinions (positive & negative), behaviours & personalities in those threads as you will today.
Regards,
FWD.

All very interesting and . . . I'm trying to formulate something. Not easy to capture in words.

It's like this site, not unlike other big sites, seems like a vast sprawling ENTITY - magnetically drawing the attention of untold thousands of people.

Magnetically … Stirring things up … rendering insight . . . fostering both antagonisms and sympathies.

People who somehow care about Morrissey. Morrissey is a phenomenon that has these circles of people who think about him, lovingly, unlovingly.

I guess this site represents the outer circle of a phenomenon of people like this, though there are concentric circles here, I suppose. Maybe some in the inner circle around him are here too?

Big question —unanswerable question: What does it all MEAN? This site.

What does it mean to you? To others . . . ? What does it ultimately mean for Morrissey and his life - this what 20 year (?) gathering

Last edited:
All very interesting and . . . I'm trying to formulate something. Not easy to capture in words.

It's like this site, not unlike other big sites, seems like a vast sprawling ENTITY - magnetically drawing the attention of untold thousands of people.

Magnetically … Stirring things up … rendering insight . . . fostering both antagonisms and sympathies.

People who somehow care about Morrissey. Morrissey is a phenomenon that has these circles of people who think about him, lovingly, unlovingly.

I guess this site represents the outer circle of a phenomenon of people like this, though there are concentric circles here, I suppose. Maybe some in the inner circle around his are here too?

What does it mean to you? To others . . . ? What does it ultimately mean for Morrissey and his life - this what 20 year (?) gathering
Is a church of Morrissey.

I guess this site represents the outer circle of a phenomenon of people like this, though there are concentric circles here, I suppose. Maybe some in the inner circle around him are here too?

I think you'll find that this site is like almost any other fan site, except for the fact that there's very little moderation. It's that subtle detail coupled with Morrissey's remarks over the last few years that have created a safe haven for some of the most mentally ill and unintelligent people on the internet to use this site as a public bathroom wall upon which to smear their feces. Beyond that, go to any other band's messageboard and you'll see the same arguments about this album versus that album, debates about which tour was best, etc.

I think you'll find that this site is like almost any other fan site, except for the fact that there's very little moderation. It's that subtle detail coupled with Morrissey's remarks over the last few years that have created a safe haven for some of the most mentally ill and unintelligent people on the internet to use this site as a public bathroom wall upon which to smear their feces. Beyond that, go to any other band's messageboard and you'll see the same arguments about this album versus that album, debates about which tour was best, etc.
I smear paint. Not feces.

As someone very new here (and who also feels most anomalous) I find myself wondering wanting to know more about the nature and history of this forum.

Questions I have:

What does this forum really mean to people here?

What was it like in the past, say 10-20 years ago, compared to today?

What does this obviously enormous effort spanning many years of activity mean to Morrissey himself?

How much have those close to Morrissey been involved here and what does it mean to them?

Any thoughts, particularly from those here with a genuine love of the man and his music, will be most appreciated. I confess to being somewhat less interested in those who just want to bash the man. (Although there are thoughtful critics here like Amy whom I listen to with interest.)
This is the place for every news concerning Morrissey, maybe the only free place where I can share my passion and love for the man and his work with other fans

What your describing is a complex adaptive system

I actually think there is quite a lot of moderation — all posts first needing approval, for instance.

You could’ve fooled me.

Yep. When you look at what gets passed on here (hi Vogon!) then you wonder just how bad a comment has to be to be rejected. I expect there is spam that has to be dealt with but I see little evidence that trolling is sufficient grounds to have a comment rejected.

I actually think there is quite a lot of moderation — all posts first needing approval, for instance.
Then why does a person (vegan cro) who isn't even allowed to have an account here still allowed to post many times a day, with the bulk of the posts being nothing but harassment? Most sites wouldn't allow it.
When he harassed the drummer from Alain's band it was embarrassing to the site.
Why are those posts approved? What do they add to the site? I can't believe that someone actually reads them and thinks they have value.

Then why does a person (vegan cro) who isn't even allowed to have an account here still allowed to post many times a day, with the bulk of the posts being nothing but harassment? Most sites wouldn't allow it.
Why are those posts approved? What do they add to the site? I can't believe that someone actually reads them and thinks they have value.

When you see his posts just smile to yourself and think how shit his life must if his only excitement is trolling people on here. He pitifully sits there day in day out posting garbage intended to wind people up and then shakes with rage when no one responds.

Last edited:
When you see his posts just smile to yourself and think how shit his life must if his only excitement is trolling people on here. He pitifully sits there day in day out posting garbage intended to wind people up and then and then shakes with rage when no one responds.
I agree with you mostly but he has affected my experience with the site. I've blocked unregistered posters and turned off reply notifications. I would just like an explanation. The site doesn't owe me one but why is this something that can't be discussed?
He revealed that they won't allow him to register an account. It would logically follow that he wouldn't be allowed to post at all, I would think. I would just like an explanation or a reply.

werent you banned twice?! what could the voice of someone who was banned twice add to the discussion about what should be done with this site?

I agree with you mostly but he has affected my experience with the site. I've blocked unregistered posters and turned off reply notifications. I would just like an explanation. The site doesn't owe me one but why is this something that can't be discussed?
He revealed that they won't allow him to register an account. It would logically follow that he wouldn't be allowed to post at all, I would think. I would just like an explanation or a reply.
it sure as shit doesnt owe you an explanation and if they were to give you one then id like a few explanations myself, like why it is that a twice banned user is allowed to re-register an account every time he's banned. it would logically follow that if you were banned once you wouldnt be allowed to register again. you yourself have benefitted from the lack of logic so i wouldnt be so quick to complain about it if i were you.

Back
Top Bottom