Radio 2 - planning to support the new single?

A

Anonymous

Of all the ups and downs in Camp Morrissey in recent times, one thing has remained constant. Radio 2's support for the lead single from each album.
Each one has made the playlist, most the A-list. Important, as it is the most popular station in the land (and the whole of Europe, apparently). They've usually been given the first play, too, I think.
But 'Bobby...' was released first to YouTube and there's been no hint of an R2 exclusive or indeed any airplay for the song.
Perhaps this is yet to come, or perhaps there will be another song released soonish for which they will be given a pre-YouTube exclusive...

Of all the ups and downs in Camp Morrissey in recent times, one thing has remained constant. Radio 2's support for the lead single from each album.
Each one has made the playlist, most the A-list. Important, as it is the most popular station in the land (and the whole of Europe, apparently). They've usually been given the first play, too, I think.
But 'Bobby...' was released first to YouTube and there's been no hint of an R2 exclusive or indeed any airplay for the song.
Perhaps this is yet to come, or perhaps there will be another song released soonish for which they will be given a pre-YouTube exclusive...
its too long for rado,needs chibbed down to four minutes which wont be easy.

This is the confusion:
'instant grat' =/= 'lead single'
It hasn't been officially released as a single - see the 1 year launch of It's Over to see how things can turn out :)
It's Over was picked up at the 'instant grat' phase of the song's release as it was scheduled for a 'proper' release, but I'm not sure the BBC would play a song continually cataloging drug references on the breakfast/daytime playlist in the current climate? Not forgetting how they now view him may have changed too.
Regards,
FWD.

This is the confusion:
'instant grat' =/= 'lead single'
It hasn't been officially released as a single - see the 1 year launch of It's Over to see how things can turn out :)
It's Over was picked up at the 'instant grat' phase of the song's release as it was scheduled for a 'proper' release, but I'm not sure the BBC would play a song continually cataloging drug references on the breakfast/daytime playlist in the current climate? Not forgetting how they now view him may have changed too.
Regards,
FWD.

I think the drug references are too vague to trouble any radio stations.
One of the early songs from California Son was given good airplay but might not have been It's Over. Think it was the one with BJ Armstrong so maybe, yes, we'll see a similar pattern.
Dog on a String isn't out til March 20th so you probably wouldn't really want the main song to be picking up airplay til late Feb...

The first proper single from California Son was Wedding Bell Blues, which got an exclusive premiere on Radio 2, if I recall correctly.
The status of Bobby, Don't You Think They Know? is currently similar to It's Over, which was also the first song from California Son that was available digitally, but didn't get the special Radio 2 treatment.
I guess they will announce the first "real" single soon-ish and which ever song it is might be more radio friendly than Bobby (With regards to length more than words, because I don't think those obscure drug references really bother anyone. From what I've read online most people don't get the meaning of the lyrics at all.).

But I agree that it is confusing, because Bobby has been referred to as "(lead)single" on several occasions, including the advertisement for the upcoming Europe and UK dates.

Ofcom have clear, published guidelines for 'offensive language' and drug imagery comes under that remit. In that document (click here to download PDF) it uses the BBC as its focal point. It stresses time of day and target audience in "risk" considerations - things most of us would tolerate and process without a thought, but will probably be a concern from the Station's POV regardless of how we view it. Unclear terminology or not, you can be sure it will be sifted through. I would go further and suggest they are likely to be even more stringent given modern 'outrage' culture and current perceptions (rightly or wrongly) of Morrissey. To that end, I'd see this as a later night Radio 6 affair and not a breakfast time launch.
It's Over was meant to be a vinyl single as far back as Feb, 2019 which turned in to madness and a year of misinformation, but it did get airtime then.
Starship did better on radio as it was circa the "album of the week" selection on Radio 2 (May, 2019) and a Fallon appearance helped it along.
WBB probably had the BJ link to help it premier on Ken Bruce.
I'm not sure how well original tracks will do compared to 'safe' covers?
Time will tell.
Regards,
FWD.

BMG have so far shown no support whatsoever for the album or single. If it all has to come from camp Moz I don’t think we have to count on any national backing for his product. If the BMG campaign is yet to start then a Radio 2 A-playlist may yet happen.

Back
Top Bottom