Raymonde/James Maker fans

JMozza34

Hello everyone,

I posted here a few months ago trying to locate some rare Raymonde material, namely the "Nothing Stops Here" demo tape from 1985. I am also looking for early Raymonde live material. I was replied to in my original post, with a link to Mr. Maker's facebook. Well as of now, I have exhausted every possible source, including contacting Mr. Maker like a stalker and asking hime to kindly share any unreleased gems. We are still friends on facebook and I was able to snag a few rare Solo/Noko 440 tracks from the man himself. However, he does not have the Raymonde demo or any live material. In fact, he actually told me that I have more of his back catalog than he does, which you will see very soon. So that being said, I figured I would try here one more time before giving up forever and accepting that some stuff is meant to be lost to history. I will now compile a list of what I am looking for, followed by a list of what I have. I will gladly share everything I have for those who are interested, as it is almost a crime that this stuff wasn't heard by many people. It's great music that stands on it's own outside the tired "5th Smith" reference. I found all the info on this early demo/live material via a audio/video trading website called 'Soundsville". Has anyone traded there? He has quite a collection. I contacted the guy who runs the site but he no longer trades in audio and doesn't have access to his audio tapes. Plus he easliy has everything I have so I doubt he would have traded with me anyway. Shame, as he is probably the only living soul that has any of this stuff. Here is what I am looking for:

Raymonde - "Nothing Stops Here" demo tape 1985
1.I'll Light A Candle
2.What Do You Wonder?
3.I Predict
4.Do You Think The Magic Is Over?
5.Son Of The Soil

Live Material:

Raymonde @ Bay 63 13/03/86

1.Speeding Heart
2.Shoot Them Down In Flames
3.Raymonde
4.Jennifer Wants
5.Fresh Ink To The Pen
6.Milk Train
7.Son Of The Soil

Raymonde @ Boston Arms 08/12/85

1.Something To Live & Breathe By
2.Every Good boy Deserves A Favour
3.Geraldine (Every Single Night)
4.Arms Of The Angels (Universal)
5.I'll Light A Candle
6.Gospel Song
7.Son Of The Soil

Also any live material from Raymonde during their run as support for The Smiths on the tour for TQID, or even more rare, any live material from Maker/Noko 440's set at MOVE 2004, though I doubt anyone recorded their set as I'm sure most didn't know or even cared who he was. Anyway as to not waste anymore time...

Here is a list of what I have.

Raymonde - Janis Long Session 85 or 86 (One mp3 with all three tracks from the session)
1.Raymonde
2.I Predict (excellent song even if James himself doesn't think so)
3.Milk Train
Raymonde - Jennifer Wants - Record Mirror Comp 85

Raymonde - Raymonde Single 1986 (Vinyl Rip from my personal copy)
1.Raymonde
2.These Boots Are Made for Walking
3.Gospel Song

Raymonde - Babelogue (I own hard copies of the LP and CD. My rip is in my Itunes from the CD)

Raymonde - Singles (Stop Kicking, Solid State Soul, Destination Breakdown)
These have been floating around the internet for quite some time now. Many of you most likely already have them.

Raymonde - Rarities
1.Shoot Them Down In Flames (Source info for this track is unknown, I got it from a fellow fan who wasn't sure of where he got it, maybe from Maker himself who knows. It is the most rare track I have next to the Janis Long session. It sounds like it's from a demo or rehearsal tape as you can hear the crinkles.
2. Every Single Night (Alt Mix)
3.Fool Of Fortune (Alt Mix)
These are alternate mixes of these songs. Slightly different than the versions heard on Babelogue.

RPLA - Metal Queen Hijack (Itunes rip from my CD)
RPLA - B-sides/Unreleased tracks some from an earlier RPLA post on Morrissey Solo and a few from James himself.
1.Leather Sequinned Hot Pant
2.Bad Thing Coming
3.Sunset & Vine
4.Made Of Stars
5.I'm Not Your Territory
6.Monstersexuality
7.Broken Down & Stranded
8.Dyke On A Bum Trip (RPLA version of the Raymonde b-side)
9.Girl From Baton Rouge (B-Side to Unnatural Woman)

James Maker/Peter Kinski - Milwaukee Sessions 2001
1.Maitresse
2.The Girl From Berlin
3.Trash
4.Never Known To Be Loved
5.The Boyfriend Syndrome
6.Jefferey's Shrine
7.Moon Over Michigan
8.Arrivederci Rock N Roll
9.La Ley Es Que Nadie Me Dje (Spanish version of The Nobody Leaves Me Rule non-acoustic)
10.September (Acoustic song)
11.The Nobody Leaves Me Rule (Acoustic english version)
12.New York Is In Luv

Frankenstein aka Maker & Noko 440
Born That Way Official Single
1.Born That Way
2.I'm Unbarable

Frankenstein Album sessions (masters from James himself)
1.12 O' Clock Girl
2.White n*****
3.Girls Are Out To Get Me
4.The Outside Does Not Reflect The Inside
5.The Quest Exhausts The Desire
6.Born That Way (Tim Bazell Mono Mix)

Well that rounds out my collection. Shame this stuff never got released properly. I'm sure there is more than a few that would like to hear this stuff so I will upload it as soon as I can. I don't think there will be any fuss as it is all either unreleased or out of print. So fellow Raymonde,James Maker fans please let me know if you have anything(I do mean anything) that I don't have. Hopefully someone has some demo or live stuff, though I'm sure it's unlikely as even their official releases are almost non existent. In Maker's words the quest has almost exhausted the desire. Many thank you's in advance.

Josh

Hello everyone,

I posted here a few months ago trying to locate some rare Raymonde material, namely the "Nothing Stops Here" demo tape from 1985. I am also looking for early Raymonde live material. I was replied to in my original post, with a link to Mr. Maker's facebook. Well as of now, I have exhausted every possible source, including contacting Mr. Maker like a stalker and asking hime to kindly share any unreleased gems. We are still friends on facebook and I was able to snag a few rare Solo/Noko 440 tracks from the man himself. However, he does not have the Raymonde demo or any live material. In fact, he actually told me that I have more of his back catalog than he does, which you will see very soon. So that being said, I figured I would try here one more time before giving up forever and accepting that some stuff is meant to be lost to history. I will now compile a list of what I am looking for, followed by a list of what I have. I will gladly share everything I have for those who are interested, as it is almost a crime that this stuff wasn't heard by many people. It's great music that stands on it's own outside the tired "5th Smith" reference. I found all the info on this early demo/live material via a audio/video trading website called 'Soundsville". Has anyone traded there? He has quite a collection. I contacted the guy who runs the site but he no longer trades in audio and doesn't have access to his audio tapes. Plus he easliy has everything I have so I doubt he would have traded with me anyway. Shame, as he is probably the only living soul that has any of this stuff. Here is what I am looking for:

Raymonde - "Nothing Stops Here" demo tape 1985
1.I'll Light A Candle
2.What Do You Wonder?
3.I Predict
4.Do You Think The Magic Is Over?
5.Son Of The Soil

Live Material:

Raymonde @ Bay 63 13/03/86

1.Speeding Heart
2.Shoot Them Down In Flames
3.Raymonde
4.Jennifer Wants
5.Fresh Ink To The Pen
6.Milk Train
7.Son Of The Soil

Raymonde @ Boston Arms 08/12/85

1.Something To Live & Breathe By
2.Every Good boy Deserves A Favour
3.Geraldine (Every Single Night)
4.Arms Of The Angels (Universal)
5.I'll Light A Candle
6.Gospel Song
7.Son Of The Soil

Also any live material from Raymonde during their run as support for The Smiths on the tour for TQID, or even more rare, any live material from Maker/Noko 440's set at MOVE 2004, though I doubt anyone recorded their set as I'm sure most didn't know or even cared who he was. Anyway as to not waste anymore time...

Here is a list of what I have.

Raymonde - Janis Long Session 85 or 86 (One mp3 with all three tracks from the session)
1.Raymonde
2.I Predict (excellent song even if James himself doesn't think so)
3.Milk Train
Raymonde - Jennifer Wants - Record Mirror Comp 85

Raymonde - Raymonde Single 1986 (Vinyl Rip from my personal copy)
1.Raymonde
2.These Boots Are Made for Walking
3.Gospel Song

Raymonde - Babelogue (I own hard copies of the LP and CD. My rip is in my Itunes from the CD)

Raymonde - Singles (Stop Kicking, Solid State Soul, Destination Breakdown)
These have been floating around the internet for quite some time now. Many of you most likely already have them.

Raymonde - Rarities
1.Shoot Them Down In Flames (Source info for this track is unknown, I got it from a fellow fan who wasn't sure of where he got it, maybe from Maker himself who knows. It is the most rare track I have next to the Janis Long session. It sounds like it's from a demo or rehearsal tape as you can hear the crinkles.
2. Every Single Night (Alt Mix)
3.Fool Of Fortune (Alt Mix)
These are alternate mixes of these songs. Slightly different than the versions heard on Babelogue.

RPLA - Metal Queen Hijack (Itunes rip from my CD)
RPLA - B-sides/Unreleased tracks some from an earlier RPLA post on Morrissey Solo and a few from James himself.
1.Leather Sequinned Hot Pant
2.Bad Thing Coming
3.Sunset & Vine
4.Made Of Stars
5.I'm Not Your Territory
6.Monstersexuality
7.Broken Down & Stranded
8.Dyke On A Bum Trip (RPLA version of the Raymonde b-side)
9.Girl From Baton Rouge (B-Side to Unnatural Woman)

James Maker/Peter Kinski - Milwaukee Sessions 2001
1.Maitresse
2.The Girl From Berlin
3.Trash
4.Never Known To Be Loved
5.The Boyfriend Syndrome
6.Jefferey's Shrine
7.Moon Over Michigan
8.Arrivederci Rock N Roll
9.La Ley Es Que Nadie Me Dje (Spanish version of The Nobody Leaves Me Rule non-acoustic)
10.September (Acoustic song)
11.The Nobody Leaves Me Rule (Acoustic english version)
12.New York Is In Luv

Born That Way Official Single
1.Born That Way
2.I'm Unbarable

Frankenstein Album sessions (masters from James himself)
1.12 O' Clock Girl
2.White n*****
3.Girls Are Out To Get Me
4.The Outside Does Not Reflect The Inside
5.The Quest Exhausts The Desire
6.Born That Way (Tim Bazell Mono Mix)

Well that rounds out my collection. Shame this stuff never got released properly. I'm sure there is more than a few that would like to hear this stuff so I will upload it as soon as I can. I don't think there will be any fuss as it is all either unreleased or out of print. So fellow Raymonde,James Maker fans please let me know if you have anything(I do mean anything) that I don't have. Hopefully someone has some demo or live stuff, though I'm sure it's unlikely as even their official releases are almost non existent. In Maker's words the quest has almost exhausted the desire. Many thank you's in advance.

Josh

Dear Josh

Very exciting to find this post, it's good to know that James Maker's loyal fans are still out there and still loving his music. Please do upload all the stuff you have, there are a few tracks that I don't have. I didn't know that James recorded a version of Dyke on a Bum Trip with RPLA; I don't recall them ever playing it live. Wonderful track, I'd love to hear the beefed-up heavy metal treatment. There may be an RPLA track that you don't have, the eponymous Red Patent Leather Angel. James had a short excerpt from the video posted on his youtube station for a while.

I also tried in vain to track down the Soundsville demo, not sure we'll ever be able to get hold of that. I do have a couple of tapes that I could, with probably great effort and upheaval, dig out. One has the Janice Long session including her interview with James and Phil, plus a couple of other tracks, and part of a gig in Nottingham in '86. The other is a complete gig, from around '88, recorded (very badly) by a marvellous girl called Angela, who ran the Raymonde Information Service. I wonder if I could dig out those tapes.

Did you ever hear of a song called Guts? Sometime before Destination Breakdown James was talking about his next single being called Guts, but it never materialised. I have wondered if the song got renamed and emerged as Arrivederci Rock 'n' Roll.

Footage of the Move gig exists, the whole thing was recorded in its entirety. When highlights from the day were broadcast on television, every band was represented except James Maker and Noko 440! What a thrill it was to see James on stage again, magnificently clad in back leather like Elvis on his comeback special. Morrissey was very poor that day. His cover of No-one Can Hold A Candle To You sealed James Maker's triumph.

You know, possibly the most important Raymonde archive is owned by Morrissey himself. I've heard mention several times of Morrissey's fabled Raymonde tapes.

Extraordinary thing. More than twenty-five years after I saw James Maker lay waste to the Free Trade Hall and totally blow The Smiths off the stage he still fills the sky for me. I carry him in my heart wherever I go, and am delighted he has enjoyed success and acclaim with his memoir.

Thank you for posting Josh, and let's hope for a strong response to your appeal.

Oh I would love to hear the music on those tapes. If you can dig them up from the storage room tombs in which they lay, I would be ever so grateful. I also have a recent radio spoken word/interview mp3 of James talking about Raymonde, The Smiths, Autofellatio, and other things. Now for the MOVE footage, do you know where one can see it? Is it archived somewhere? More than likely the song "White n*****", which I heard they played at MOVE, was the reason their set wasn't televised. In the meantime I will start uploading my collection. I will be using mediafire. Stay tuned for some music...

Last edited:
As for Moz's Raymonde collection, maybe I'll throw a letter on stage requesting copies of his Raymonde tapes. I wonder what he would think. I think it would generate a good reaction. Hah. Jokes aside, I would love to search the music vaults of Morrissey. All his unheard gems as well as The Nosebleeds rehearsal and concert tapes. I doubt anyone else has them save maybe Duffy but there is no way Morrissey doesn't have tapes of his first run as a singer. Anyone know Billy Duffy's contact info? Moz probably bought Billy's rehearsal tapes though, to ensure they never leak. But out of all the music that I will most likely never hear, The Nosebleeds tapes and the Raymonde demo are at the top.

Last edited:
Well the files are uploading as we speak, at a very slow pace. It's looking like it will take the better part of an hour til the first rar file will be up. I am only going to load the rarities stuff, the Raymonde,RPLA,Milwaukee Sessions, &The Frankenstien Noko 440 stuff cuz of time. I don't have time to upload my whole collection tonight, especially with it loading at such an incredibly slow pace. I divided the material into two folders, one with the Raymonde & RPLA stuff. Now, the RPLA version of the Dyke On A Bum Trip sounds like a slightly different mix of the Destination Breakdown B-side. I don't recognize a noticable difference honestly. But the file is named as RPLA from an anthology album. I got the file from James himself so I don't know. The second folder has the Milwaukee Sessions & The Frankenstein Noko stuff.

Hello all,
Here are the two rarities folders.
James Maker - Mixed Albums 1
Raymonde/RPLA rarities & B-sides
Raymonde Tracks:
Every Single Night (Alt Mix)
Fool Of Fortune (Alt Mix)
Shoot Them Down In Flames (Demo)
Raymonde,I Predict,Milk Train - BBC Janis Long Session music only, one single mp3
Jennifer Wants - Great quality rip of this from the Record Mirror Comp.

RPLA Tracks:
Dyke On A Bum Trip (RPLA Anthology? Doesn't sound much different that the Raymonde version. Though Raymonde was pretty much RPLA at this point anyway)
I'm Not Your Territory
The Girl From Baton Rouge
Bad Thing Coming
Broken Down & Stranded
Leather Sequinned Hot Pants
Made Of Stars
Monstersexuality
Sunset & Vine

enjoy...
http://www.mediafire.com/?v1ymi8n551u4afq

James Maker - Mixed Albums vol 2.
Maker/Kinski Milwaukee Sessions 2001
The Nobody Leaves Me Rule
September
Arrivederci Rock N Roll
Jefferey's Shrine
Maitresse
Moon Over Michigan
Never Known To Be Loved
New York Is In Love
The Boyfriend Syndrome
The Girl From Berlin
Trash

Unreleased Masters

12 O' Clock Girl
Born That Way
I'm Unbearable
The Outside Does Not Reflect The Inside
The Quest Exhausts The Desire
White n*****
Born That Way (Tim Bazell Mono Mix)

enjoy...

http://www.mediafire.com/?bul1a9gl9obqbs3

Since I can't sleep, (I'm from the US) I'll work on uploading the rest which will be:
Raymonde - Babelogue CD rip at 256k (which is sooooo much better sounding than the crap 128k vinyl rip that is floating around) It will be in m4a/Itunes format
RPLA - Metal Queen Hijack (CD rip at 256k) It will be in m4a/Itunes format
Raymonde - Raymonde single (Vinyl Rip from my hard copy) Check back sooon...

Josh

I Forgot to include this, the spanish version of "The Nobody Leaves Me Rule" from the Maker/Kinski Milwaukee Sessions 2001.

http://www.mediafire.com/?90kkuum5yws22r2

Oh, I also have files of the Raymonde singles. Stop Kicking My Heart Around, Solid State Soul, & Destination Breakdown. I will post them if someone requests me to do so cuz mediafire is so slow. They aren't too hard to find if you look about on soulseek or even here, I think someone posted the singles on here at some point

Hello again,
Though this is a Raymonde thread I figured I would share these two Moz tracks. One track is relevent to the thread. I was diggin around and came across this, an interesting BBC radio 1 version of Morrissey's cover of "No One Can Hold A Candle To You". I had always thought there was only the radio version that appeared on the "I Have Forgiven Jesus" single. The b-side version was recorded in Los Angeles and mixed by Boz. Interestingly, this version, in addition to different lyrics (On the b-side version he sings "They stand on your hands, they stand on my hands" on this version he sings, "They stand on your head, they stand on my hands) it has a different vocal melody along with a DJ talking at the end. It sounds like John Peel, which would have been right before he left this earth RIP. I'm sure this is version may be old news to most but its new to me. The DJ mentions this was one of two songs in the session the other being "Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice" which if anyone has this whole session to share, please do as I would like to have it in my collection. The other track I have to offer, which I'm not 100% it's even official and may just be a "fan cut" version of the original, but "The Operation - Radio Mix". I never knew this existed either. It sounds like a slightly different mix altogether, like he thought of releasing it as a single perhaps? The drum intro is completely gone, and it fades out after the lyric "What the hell, have they stuck into you" which is before the fast part at end of the album version. Like I said both of these are new to me, maybe they are new to some of you as well. enjoy...

http://www.mediafire.com/?z92j6qhmi3hx1l2

Dear Josh

First of all, thank you for uploading the treasure, good to have all this material in one place.

Breaking news; found the tape. It has a home-made cover, a photograph of James maker in his undies! The photo is from a gig in St. Austel in 1986, James just entering his longhair rock monster phase and looking terrific. Not had time to audit the contents yet, busy getting ready to go out for birthday celebrations. A blessing and a curse to share your birthday with Saint Patrick, with a large Irish population around here getting ammered and coating the streets with vomit all day. To celebrate (unearthing the tape, not my wretched birthday) I'm gonna put on my Biker Jacket With Raymonde On and go drinking and playing darts. "Oh Ray-monde!" indeed!

You are very welcome for the music. I'm glad I have been able to help people get and enjoy the music of James Maker. Oh what great news on this grey St. Patty's day, well it's grey over here anyway. I await the unveiling of the tape eagerly! I have a friend here who also shares a b-day with St. Patrick. I wish you a safe and happy celebration, of both finding the tape, and your, as you so lovingly put it, wretched birthday!

Josh

Last edited:
Hello all,

Just got some more tracks from James. They are as follows:
Guts demo
Roll The Stone Of Stumbling
Paper Saint Goes Twelve Stations - Last Raymonde track recorded. (James mentioned this recycles the same music from the song "Raymonde")
Absolute Queen Of Pop (extended rare demo)
Sunders Ferry Lane with Boz Boorer. I will upload as soon as I can.

Josh

Sadly, I got final confirmation that he no longer has any of the rarities mentioned in my original post. That leaves only Soundsville that has the only recordings of those songs. And with him no longer trading audio chances are slim. Still hopefully someone stumbles upon this and has something to offer. Frolix, any chance of getting to hear what's on your tape??

Hello All,
Here are, the most likely final James Maker tracks I will be posting. He mentioned on facebook that he is retiring from singing and focusing more on writing which he enjoys far more success at. Shame he never got enough credit as a singer. He will be posting some more rarities on his youtube account. There is one posted so far, which is an extended cut of "The Boyfriend Syndrome" - Milwaukee sessions 2001. It has the regular mix plus a studio demo mix tacked on the end. It runs over 12 mins. Since he's digging through his back catalog of music, he may be sending some more music to me, but we'll see. I'll post any new material I recieve. For now, here is the newset material.
James Maker mixed tracks Vol.3
1.Guts - RPLA demo
2.Roll The Stone Of Stumbling - RPLA demo
3.Paper Saint Goes 12 Stations - Final Raymonde track
4.Absolute Queen Of Pop - Extended RPLA demo (apparently recorded heavily under the influence of substances. Described in James' own words, "
This is an alternative recording of the 'Absolute Queen of Pop' (extended). It was recorded (NY) under the influence of substances -- not just me, everyone in the studio.
'I was so high I didn't give a f*** about nobody, honey...'

5.Saunders Ferry Lane - James Maker & Boz Boorer recorded 2011

Hopefully James will send some more material he's done with Boz. But since he's retiring from singing at the end of 2012, and Boz is busy touring with Moz and his own solo material, we'll have to wait and see. "Saunders" is a fantastic song and ranks with James' best material. Enjoy these tracks.

http://www.mediafire.com/?van0dz2vom38hwj

Josh

Last edited:
JMozza34, I can't tell you how happy I am to be listening to all your stuff that you've made available! Your a genius! Thank you very much mate! Hope you have a long happy life.

Dave,

You're very welcome. I'm glad you're enjoying the material I have compiled here. Hopefully there will be more, either from James himself or from other users. Frolix has a tape of live and rare tracks I'm eagerly awaiting to hear. Soundsville has the final and most rare tracks I need to round out my collection. With any luck they will surface soon.

Dave,

You're very welcome. I'm glad you're enjoying the material I have compiled here. Hopefully there will be more, either from James himself or from other users. Frolix has a tape of live and rare tracks I'm eagerly awaiting to hear. Soundsville has the final and most rare tracks I need to round out my collection. With any luck they will surface soon.

Yeah, I'm waiting for any James Maker stuff to appear, especially any bootlegs anybody has. He's a legend in his own right and very underated!! I'll have to get around to reading his autobiography soon.

I also asked James if he has access to the footage from the Frankenstein(Maker & Noko 440) set that was filmed during the MOVE festival in 2004. Hopefully, if he has it he will post it on his youtube channel.

He is criminally underrated. It's such a shame. The autobiography is fantastic. I've read it all the way through once, and I am currently reading it again. Next up is a Nick Cave/Birthday Party era memoir. Should be a good read. As far as live bootlegs, user Frolix mentioned a woman by the name Angela or Amanda that used to run a Raymond fan site. She has some live material also. I would like to get contact info and see what I can round up from another valueable source.

Back
Top Bottom