Remembering the brilliance of Derek Jarman’s Smiths film ‘The Queen is Dead’ - Far Out Magazine

Remembering the brilliance of Derek Jarman’s Smiths film ‘The Queen is Dead’ - Far Out Magazine (July 19, 2019)
By Kelly Rankin

Excerpt:

"Jarman worked with several music artists over the years, collaborating with the likes of the Sex Pistols, Marianne Faithful, Patti Smith and Pet Shop Boys, to name a few. But the Smiths were one of his first and most regular collaborators. ‘The Queen is Dead’ is a “Super 8 film triptych” made up of the Smiths hits; ‘The Queen is Dead,’ ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’ and ‘Panic.’ It’s an amalgamation of recycled images and clips expressing Morrissey’s deep-cutting lyrics and Marr’s hit melodies. Jarman’s film is disorientating and so eighties that today, it could be mistaken as parody (and I mean this in the most positive way possible). This particular piece of work has fallen off the radar for many when looking back at the great and eclectic range of Jarman’s works, but it definitely deserves a closer look."

full

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-smiths-derek-jarman-film/

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 51078

Kelly Rankin - Far Out Magazine (July 19, 2019).

Excerpt:

"Jarman worked with several music artists over the years, collaborating with the likes of the Sex Pistols, Marianne Faithful, Patti Smith and Pet Shop Boys, to name a few. But the Smiths were one of his first and most regular collaborators. ‘The Queen is Dead’ is a “Super 8 film triptych” made up of the Smiths hits; ‘The Queen is Dead,’ ‘There Is A Light That Never Goes Out’ and ‘Panic.’ It’s an amalgamation of recycled images and clips expressing Morrissey’s deep-cutting lyrics and Marr’s hit melodies. Jarman’s film is disorientating and so eighties that today, it could be mistaken as parody (and I mean this in the most positive way possible). This particular piece of work has fallen off the radar for many when looking back at the great and eclectic range of Jarman’s works, but it definitely deserves a closer look."

View attachment 51079

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-smiths-derek-jarman-film/

Regards,
FWD.

Love this

"So eighties" ? This person doesn't have a f***ing clue. At the time it was seen as cutting edge. It was typical experimental art of the times.

"LOCAL LAND FOR LOCAL PEOPLE"

... at 11:23. The World didn't change so why Moz?

The video for "Drive that fast" by Kitchens of Distinction reminded me a bit of that Smiths video.

Perhaps inspired by it?

The band talked about Moz a lot especially in interviews in USA and I believe even in a canadian interview.

The ASK video, missing from this one, was rather sweet and also directed by Jarman.

I so much prefer the Ask video over TQID one. TQID video is too fluttery and really doesn't align itself to the lyrics of the song. Feels like a university art experiment that was far too overdone.

I have watched the Ask video a number of times and it is very entertaining. Clips of Morrissey singing with the video bringing out the emotion and humorousness of the lyrics.

In typical Smiths fashion a song built on a whimsical, jingly pop sound with an undertone of introspective and thoughtful lyrics. One of my favorites from Louder Than Bombs.

I love Jarman, I love the Smiths... but the Smiths were neither one of his first collaborators, nor one of his most regular collaborators.
(He never meet them actually, as far as I know).

Jarman was not very 80's... the 80's became very Jarman!!!!

Jarman's The Queen Is Dead and Panic are great, almost zeitgeist-capturing works. Ask was tonally a little poor I thought, but you have to say DJ was entirely in tune with the anti-mainstream, anti-corporate, queerness themes of Morrissey. These days I think perhaps the I Won't Share You video is possibly the best.

I love Jarman, I love the Smiths... but the Smiths were neither one of his first collaborators, nor one of his most regular collaborators.
(He never meet them actually, as far as I know).

Jarman was not very 80's... the 80's became very Jarman!!!!

They did meet once in a dressing room. I think Saint Johnny threw up.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom