Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace" now ?

Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace&q

• bonus: mixed reviews, low sales, hate expressed, has made me realize this album is a piece of shit!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace" n

WPINOYB has been on high rotation ever since it came out, and it's blocked out most other music; as always when Morrissey's on the top of his game, his voice drowns out everyone else's. I think it's a great album: right up there with Vauxhall and Arsenal.

As I've mentioned before: I'm old enough to remember The Smiths. Morrissey knocked me out in 1984, but there have been long stretches in his career when I've found him to be absolutely insufferable: for instance, count me in as one of those people who cannot stand Southpaw Grammar: for me, that album represents the nadir of Morrissey's lyrical output (and vocal prowess). That album was mean-spirited, packed with mostly trivial, charmless songs and the artist was on autopilot (although "Boy Racer" is a good tune). That Morrissey was, for me, a write-off. WPINOYB is lightyears ahead sonically, lyrically and vocally: just listen to "Mountjoy," "I'm not a Man" or "Neal Cassady Drops Dead": these songs are thoughtful, interesting and beautifully articulated (and in the case of the latter, very funny). Even "Drag the River," a "B-side," has lovely lyrical passages. It's nearly two decades on, and Morrissey has found his way back to being an engaging artist with a voice to die for.

Sonically, WPINOYB is exactly where Morrissey needed to go: Gustavo Manzur's guitar style teases out the sensual aspects of his vocals. Morrissey has always risen to the musical bar, and this style of music suits him to a T. He was fighting vocally with the aggressive noise of the last two albums; here the musical setting highlights his range - his vocal swoops and falsettos are beautiful. Quite the feat for a singer in his mid-50s.

Lastly: the production is warm and inventive. I can see where some would find the electronic beeps and bloops irritating, but for me they lend an otherworldly feel to the album as a whole. Joe Chiccarelli managed to find the human element in electronic fiddling which (as I know first hand) is not an easy task. The whole band is at their best - as some reviewers have pointed out, this is one of the rare Morrissey albums where the music is as necessary as the vocals.

You just got my 100th thumb! Go celebrate :)

Re: Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace" n

YES! So, so true. I'm completely nonplussed by the odd troglodytes here who don't absolutely adore it. It's pure joy.

Oh, I dunno, maybe if the album didn't sound like it was made by a thirteen year old for their GCSE coursework, we might 'absolutely adore it'.

As it is, I think only those with fundamentally impoverished judgement could proclaim it such a great work.

Get a degree in English Literature, kids, and in 40 years time you too could be a never-has-been posting barely literate, unamusing non-jokes on an internet forum!

"fitch, what about the world peace lyrics bug you specifically? could you give an example"

Get a degree in English Literature, kids, and in 40 years time you too could be a never-has-been posting barely literate, unamusing non-jokes on an internet forum!

Ha! Very good!

I really am pretty shocked at all the positive feedback the album has received here. I guess a degree comes down to personal taste but I can't help thinking that there are a lot of people who are almost forcing themselves to like this record.

I am a huge long time fan and truly really wanted to like this record but I just can't. Lyrically it is by far the worst I have ever heard from Morrissey, World Peace, Bullfighter, kiss me a lot to name three, the lyrics are so bad it is mind boggling. If any other artist came out with these lyrics they would ne laughed out of town.

The production just about saves this but musically it is awful. I am astounded that people on here are calling this his best solo work. I played World Peace on a long train ride the other day and it was a struggle. for perspective I played V & I and Your Arsenal right after and the difference was truly insane...truly. How anyone can compare World Peace to either of these works is madness.

I understand if you listen to something over and over you can almost make yourself like it and Morrissey is so important to us all here I don't think many people can face the fact that lyrically and musically this is the most pedestrian work he has ever churned out.

Everyone keeps going on about Staircase, I think because it is the closest to 90's Morrissey but again the lyrics are crap, the verses musically are not bad but the chorus is lame. I mean compare this to Tomorrow, Billy Budd, Nobody Loves Us, Alma Matters etc etc .

The truth is this is a dull, bitter, mean, musically redundant record and it really upsets me to say this. I will still be at the shows when they happen later in the year because Morrissey is one of the few artists I feel I must be there for through the good and the bad, there is still no atmosphere like a Morrissey show but I just know the set will be World Peace heavy.

I wondered if I was going nuts so asked for a few opinions from some other big Morrissey fans, none with an agenda or axe to grind and they all pretty much felt the same as me, the album was a huge let down.

I'm not trying to be the fly in the ointment here, I just wanted to know honestly how some of you can't listen to lyrics like Bullfighter and say what the hell??? anyway, enough already. had to say something though

I hadn't listened to it for around 10 days and then put it on coming home after a weekend of nightshifts. It made perfect sense.

As someone who has always respected your opinion, if you could expand on that even a little, I think your insight could help me.

I said I think the record is his fourth or fifth best and I stand by that. Yes you could rejig the tracklist to make it perhaps even better, chop off a few seconds or a minute of an intro here or there... but in sum the album is very, very strong and was a positive change in direction.

I've been giving the lyrics extra attention since so many people have nitpicked on a couple select lines and therefore declared the album to be lyrically terrible and I conclude that overall that notion is pretty unfounded. OK you think the Beefaroni line is stupid. I get it.

There are songs that tell stories. Social commentaries. Songs about love, death, and everything in between. Compare the lyrics from this record to the last three and I'd actually say this is the strongest. It's certainly on par despite people repeating the same critiques over and over.

Been a long day and I’m using the hotel wifi but just wanted to add that I voted for the first choice. I think the album is fantastic and me and the Mrs. listened to the entire deluxe version on the way down. Great driving music! G’night.

again ill ask what do you find about the lyrics to world peace that you dont like cause no one ever actually answers? whats wrong with the lyrics to kiss me a lot? a joyous song about wanting to take your lover everywhere you go so that the two of you can be affectionate everywhere and anywhere, in public and in private, in appropriate places or not. to never be without there affection. sounds like an ode to love to me not to mention lust as he might want to be kissed all over his body which im not against by any means either. whats bad about a lyric like that? fits the joy of the music imo right on the mark. bullfighter isnt my favorite song lyrically but a song about someone making themselves less human than the bull, which is the reason there killing it (its life doesnt matter to them) and not feeling bad when they die themselves because at least the bull never tortured anyone for inhumane (ironic) spectacle or fun doesnt sound very far off from morrisseys trademark. im for sure not forcing it as im not shy about my opinion as im sure everyone here knows by now.

again ill ask what do you find about the lyrics to world peace that you don't. like cause no one ever actually answers simplicity, ong with the lyrics to kiss me a lot? a joyous song about wanting to take your lover everywhere you go so that the two of you can be affectionate everywhere and anywhere, in public and in private, in appropriate places or not. to never be without there affection. sounds like an ode to love to me not to mention lust as he might want to be kissed all over his body which im not against by any means either. whats bad about a lyric like that? fits the joy of the music imo right on the mark. bullfighter isnt my favorite song lyrically but a song about someone making themselves less human than the bull, which is the reason there killing it (its life doesnt matter to them) and not feeling bad when they die themselves because at least the bull never tortured anyone for inhumane (ironic) spectacle or fun doesnt sound very far off from morrisseys trademark. im for sure not forcing it as im not shy about my opinion as im sure everyone here knows by now.

Most of the album's lyrics are doggerel. The difference between the writing here and certainly his more widely praised albums is night and day. Simplicity and plain articulation seems to be the dominant impulse, lacking the humour, nuance and ambiguity that lend depth to his best songs.

If you want a prime example, take a look at all the lyrics to his opening songs from Viva Hate onwards. The qualitative shift ought to be clear to any but the most occluded mind.

I've listened to the Deluxe edition, either in order or on shuffle at least once a day since I downloaded the leaked version about a month ago. And although my favourite song changes on a daily basis I still haven't had the urge to skip one track. Which is pretty incredible, to me anyway.

I'm still completely in love with this album and I don't think I'll ever fall out of love with it.

It was a long 5 years but I was definitely worth the wait.

Most of the album's lyrics are doggerel. The difference between the writing here and certainly his more widely praised albums is night and day. Simplicity and plain articulation seems to be the dominant impulse, lacking the humour, nuance and ambiguity that lend depth to his best songs.

If you want a prime example, take a look at all the lyrics to his opening songs from Viva Hate onwards. The qualitative shift ought to be clear to any but the most occluded mind.

Agree 100 %. Anyone could have written a lot of the lyrics on this record. The fact is there is only so much creativity in any human being, everyone dries up at some stage and unfortunately Morrissey has reached that stage now. I also think he has changed a lot as a person as well. Check out interviews with him now and compare this to the 90's and it is obvious that he has become very mean and bitter and incredibly out of touch with the way most people live their lives.

He spends his time surrounded by body guards, swanning from one five star hotel to the next and has totally lost touch with his roots.

Simplicity and plain articulation seems to be the dominant impulse

And? How is that a lesser approach to writing? Most great writers end up becoming more economical and direct as they age, it's a perfectly natural evolution.
Some people still want the 'clever' showy lyrics that impress teenagers. Grow up.

And? How is that a lesser approach to writing? Most great writers end up becoming more economical and direct as they age, it's a perfectly natural evolution.
Some people still want the 'clever' showy lyrics that impress teenagers. Grow up.

The 'clever showy lyrics that impress teenagers'? Which songs would these be, exactly?

Whilst quite liking Agharta and Mouse, I find their posts well written and witty, I cannot help but comment that whilst their
complaints about the album are rational and maybe even correct,
I and others who like the new release, can only continue to play and enjoy the new release.
Ultimately, that is all that liking it will do for us and that is a fine and wonderful thing.
Are we supposed to feel bad about this?
Are we supposed to change our minds?
Are we all too stupid to understand that this is poor album? (that's left you all an open goal!)

I certainly am not interested in insisting that I my perception is as cultured and 'good' as theirs.
The fans are also guilty of calling the detractors stupid for disliking the record.
I cannot quite grasp where it all gets us.

However, I believe Agharta et al are in fact having a bit of sport at the expsense of the over sensitive fans and in that,
I can but wish them well.

Whilst quite liking Agharta and Mouse, I find their posts well written and witty, I cannot help but comment that whilst their
complaints about the album are rational and maybe even correct,
I and others who like the new release, can only continue to play and enjoy the new release.
Ultimately, that is all that liking it will do for us and that is a fine and wonderful thing.
Are we supposed to feel bad about this?
Are we supposed to change our minds?
Are we all too stupid to understand that this is poor album? (that's left you all an open goal!)

I certainly am not interested in insisting that I my perception is as cultured and 'good' as theirs.
The fans are also guilty of calling the detractors stupid for disliking the record.
I cannot quite grasp where it all gets us.

However, I believe Agharta et al are in fact having a bit of sport at the expsense of the over sensitive fans and in that,
I can but wish them well.

Do you mean the posts where Agharta and Mouse go round calling members here a "c***" unprovoked?
You seemed to get very sensitive when Keene started arguing with you the other day, to the extent where you started jumping into exchanges with him and others just to mock him.
What a hypocrite you are.

Back
Top Bottom