Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace" now ?

Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace&q

• bonus: mixed reviews, low sales, hate expressed, has made me realize this album is a piece of shit!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace" n

Mouse will be along in a minute. Where one posts the other two follow.
It's like an old codger version of The Human Centipede...

Re: Reviews in. Haters have hated. You have debated. 2 weeks on what do you think of "World Peace" n

Do you mean the posts where Agharta and Mouse go round calling members here a "c***" unprovoked?
You seemed to get very sensitive when Keene started arguing with you the other day, to the extent where you started jumping into exchanges with him and others just to mock him.
What a hypocrite you are.
Good lord! Don't get hysterical.
Keene is insane and that made me jumpy.
I don't recall the C word being used.
Anyway who cares?
Only you.

Mouse will be along in a minute. Where one posts the other two follow.
It's like an old codger version of The Human Centipede...

They are actually three parts of the same psyche: Agharta is the ego, Barleycorn is the superego, and Mouse is very much the id.

Good lord! Don't get hysterical.
Keene is insane and that made me jumpy.
I don't recall the C word being used.
Anyway who cares?
Only you.

No, you followed him round and mocked him when he was debating with someone else on another thread. It isn't the first time you and Agharta have used mental illness as a point of crap humour, either.
You can try and present yourself as being aloof all you like and someone who is apart from the "overly sensitive", but in doing so you're just a pompous old hypocrite, dear.
Now, jog on, Grandad. You're boring me...

Whilst quite liking Agharta and Mouse, I find their posts well written and witty, I cannot help but comment that whilst their
complaints about the album are rational and maybe even correct,
I and others who like the new release, can only continue to play and enjoy the new release.
Ultimately, that is all that liking it will do for us and that is a fine and wonderful thing.
Are we supposed to feel bad about this?
Are we supposed to change our minds?
Are we all too stupid to understand that this is poor album? (that's left you all an open goal!)

I certainly am not interested in insisting that I my perception is as cultured and 'good' as theirs.
The fans are also guilty of calling the detractors stupid for disliking the record.
I cannot quite grasp where it all gets us.

However, I believe Agharta et al are in fact having a bit of sport at the expsense of the over sensitive fans and in that,
I can but wish them well.

Liking them? Their posts "well written" and "witty"? Their complaints "rational" and "correct"?

Oh, dear.

I really am pretty shocked at all the positive feedback the album has received here. I guess a degree comes down to personal taste but I can't help thinking that there are a lot of people who are almost forcing themselves to like this record.

I am a huge long time fan and truly really wanted to like this record but I just can't. Lyrically it is by far the worst I have ever heard from Morrissey, World Peace, Bullfighter, kiss me a lot to name three, the lyrics are so bad it is mind boggling. If any other artist came out with these lyrics they would ne laughed out of town.

The production just about saves this but musically it is awful. I am astounded that people on here are calling this his best solo work. I played World Peace on a long train ride the other day and it was a struggle. for perspective I played V & I and Your Arsenal right after and the difference was truly insane...truly. How anyone can compare World Peace to either of these works is madness.

I understand if you listen to something over and over you can almost make yourself like it and Morrissey is so important to us all here I don't think many people can face the fact that lyrically and musically this is the most pedestrian work he has ever churned out.

Everyone keeps going on about Staircase, I think because it is the closest to 90's Morrissey but again the lyrics are crap, the verses musically are not bad but the chorus is lame. I mean compare this to Tomorrow, Billy Budd, Nobody Loves Us, Alma Matters etc etc .

The truth is this is a dull, bitter, mean, musically redundant record and it really upsets me to say this. I will still be at the shows when they happen later in the year because Morrissey is one of the few artists I feel I must be there for through the good and the bad, there is still no atmosphere like a Morrissey show but I just know the set will be World Peace heavy.

I wondered if I was going nuts so asked for a few opinions from some other big Morrissey fans, none with an agenda or axe to grind and they all pretty much felt the same as me, the album was a huge let down.

I'm not trying to be the fly in the ointment here, I just wanted to know honestly how some of you can't listen to lyrics like Bullfighter and say what the hell??? anyway, enough already. had to say something though

This is one of the rare occasions that I wish an anonymous poster would sign in so I could offer a thumbs up. It feels like there is a contingent that WANT this album to be a masterpiece, as if saying it over and over makes it so in our tiny little cybervillage. (And, yes, before some wise spark says it, I get this applies to the stone-tossers as much.) The more I listen, the less it does for me. Thank goodness Boz remains to goose it when it drags. I have been listening to the Vauxhall and Arsenal remaster more. My only mistake was, etc.

it does seem like most who really enjoy viva hate and vauxhall seem to like this release the least though they could just be more vocal about it here skewing the representation.

Liking them? Their posts "well written" and "witty"? Their complaints "rational" and "correct"?

Oh, dear.

Excuse me please, Emil, but recently you made the comment:

Years of Refusal is the worst thing Morrissey has done. It's incomprehensible how someone can rate it as his second best. World Peace is so much better.

Now, on this basis, I'd say that accusing me of not being 'rational' and 'correct' may be rather a long stretch, don't you?

Here's the thing - Years Of Refusal has great thematic identity and coherence, structured intelligently with songs that work in and of themselves as well as call across to each other. It's a satisfying piece of art that succeeds on all levels - the production and performances work to give the impression the band and singer are actually in the same room together, playing off each other with a refreshing lack of artifice. Morrissey sings like a man possessed, with absolute vocal control throughout. He also manages to fit his words into the songs in a way that complements the music, rather than jarring or appearing to be pouring three pints of lyrics into one glass. As a whole, it is my favourite solo album after Viva Hate. That might sound preposterous to you, but it works as an album, and while this is difficult to delineate exactly, it reminds me of kind of Hatful of Hollow, 25 years on. This is a 'dark' album, full of the thrashy storms of mental illness and ageing - but it doesn't crumble into self-pity, rather it tempers its wallowing with a tongue pressed lightly against cheek. It is both simultaneously innocently childish and parentally wise. I find the cover therefore quite apt.

World Peace, on the other hand, has a picture of Morrissey with a pen sitting in front of a dog on the front. It is barking on more than one level, sounding like the confused, random and rushed work of a singer and band not even on the same book, let alone page. Its as if Morrissey tossed off some cranky first draft mash ups of Daily Mail meets PETA soapbox rants into a kitchen sink of swirly bizarre noises and then poured the resulting slop into a CD sized pot and figured "f*** it, that'll do".

Last edited:

Excuse me please, Emil, but recently you made the comment:

Years of Refusal is the worst thing Morrissey has done. It's incomprehensible how someone can rate it as his second best. World Peace is so much better.

Now, on this basis, I'd say that accusing me of not being 'rational' and 'correct' may be rather a long stretch, don't you?

Here's the thing - Years Of Refusal has great thematic identity and coherence, structured intelligently with songs that work in and of themselves as well as call across to each other. It's a satisfying piece of art that succeeds on all levels - the production and performances work to give the impression the band and singer are actually in the same room together, playing off each other with a refreshing lack of artifice. Morrissey sings like a man possessed, with absolute vocal control throughout. He also manages to fit his words into the songs in a way that complements the music, rather than jarring or appearing to be pouring three pints of lyrics into one glass. As a whole, it is my favourite solo album after Viva Hate. That might sound preposterous to you, but it works as an album, and while this is difficult to delineate exactly, it reminds me of kind of Hatful of Hollow, 25 years on. This is a 'dark' album, full of the thrashy storms of mental illness and ageing - but it doesn't crumble into self-pity, rather it tempers its wallowing with a tongue pressed lightly against cheek. It is both simultaneously innocently childish and parentally wise. I find the cover therefore quite apt.

World Peace, on the other hand, has a picture of Morrissey with a pen sitting in front of a dog on the front. It is barking on more than one level, sounding like the confused, random and rushed work of a singer and band not even on the same book, let alone page. Its as if Morrissey tossed off some cranky first draft mash ups of Daily Mail meets PETA soapbox rants into a kitchen sink of swirly bizarre noises and then poured the resulting slop into a CD sized pot and figured "f*** it, that'll do".

I literally could not have put it better. totally agree on YOR as well.

it does seem like most who really enjoy viva hate and vauxhall seem to like this release the least though they could just be more vocal about it here skewing the representation.

And yet so many say it is Vauxhall-ish...

do they. i saw one or two but i might have just missed that.

^^^^^
I think it has to do with use of acoustic guitar and what has been called "near-acapella" singing.

I know it’s (probably) been said before, but “Smiler With Knife” and “Mountjoy” definitely have a Vauxhall And I feel to it, but other than that I don’t really hear it much.

see to me that sounds more like some of the songs on youre arsenal such as well let you know. mount joy and smiler make me think of these songs with the trebbly dry acoustic pushed up to the front of the mix and that hollow feeling a bit creating that sense of space. i remember them having that album on the floor when they showed the pic of the studio and the black curtain. instantly made me think of well let you know. vauxhal sound imo like its a bit underwater but not in a bad way

see to me that sounds more like some of the songs on youre arsenal such as well let you know. mount joy and smiler make me think of these songs with the trebbly dry acoustic pushed up to the front of the mix and that hollow feeling a bit creating that sense of space. i remember them having that album on the floor when they showed the pic of the studio and the black curtain. instantly made me think of well let you know. vauxhal sound imo like its a bit underwater but not in a bad way

I can definitely see that in “We’ll Let You Know” as well. Good ear.

A little more depth or other. I think there are better songs on other albums, like a lot better, but this "World Peace..." as an album experience is feels complete, confident, self-assured, satisfying, and it all fits. So how can it be that I love 8 of 12 songs on Quarry and 4 of 12 on "World Peace..." but hold them in near equal regard? Help me understand the mind.

I dislike the album so much I've been petitioning itunes to have it removed. I wonder if they'll eventually do it.

Tried to listen to it again.

It was pretty bad the first time around and worse the second.

Tried to listen to it again.

It was pretty bad the first time around and worse the second.

It's worse the second time- because we listened having known what it sounded like the first time.

Back
Top Bottom