Richard Attenborough dies - Morrissey statement at true-to-you.net

Link posted by an anonymous person (original post):

Richard Attenborough dies - true-to-you.net
26 August 2014

"I was thrilled beyond words to have met Richard Attenborough, who, of course, played Pinkie in Brighton Rock (1947), a central theme of my song Now my heart is full. When I met Sir Richard he was delightful, and I asked him if Brighton Rock seemed like a hundred years ago. He replied 'Oh, much more than that ...'.
I also had the extraordinary pleasure of meeting the recently deceased Lauren Bacall ... so beautiful, so cautious ... and so sad that her death was overshadowed by that of Robin Williams. It was Lauren, not Robin, who changed motion picture history. Yet modern media has an odd way of forgetting the more senior servers of the arts. Dora Bryan, whom I knew personally in the late 80s, and who also died in recent weeks, had pitifully slim attention from the British news media, yet her talents were a treasured staple of British life throughout the 1950s, 1960s and beyond. Dora had agreed to introduce the Smiths onstage at the London Palladium in 1986, but at the last minute her agent asked for a fee which we, the Smiths, just couldn't afford.
However, in our X-factory society, it seems that anyone who has NOT appeared on Big Brother just isn't worth remembering by the British media ... alas."

Morrissey.

Related media:

Last edited:
What is disgusting is that while Lauren got a corner of the cover of people, a Duggar spawn got the cover announcing she is knocked up 6 weeks after her wedding.

Plans for their own supersize family. Barf.
Sensationalism upstages a sensational actress.

I think Morrissey would prefer to honor the dearly deceased whom are pushing him to his place in the queue. Robin Williams was a contemporary. R.I.P.

stuff like patch adams didnt make my day though i do think them, sappy stories based on real people, interesting.

For a while there, he seemed to be typecast as the affable hero and it got really tiresome. Which is all the more reason why I adored his creepy performance in the film One Hour Photo. It really demonstrated for me his breadth as an actor.

Another attempt of Mozza being oh-so-provocative. Who the f*** cares?

it's very cool how morrissey has a site where he makes statements now. alcohol fueled though some of them may be. i can't wait till he has a twitter account.

I think too many are reading far too much into his comments regarding Williams. Taking it the wrong way, at the very least.

What a sad character Morrissey is these days. Only a few steps away from becoming the crazy cat lady on the Simpsons.

I was surprised that he didn't praise Robin for committing suicide, as he did when his female fan (forgive me, I don't recall her name) recently did. I'm also surprised he called h "Sir Richard" since he loathes the monarchy.

Lauren Bacall was a tough broad who survived a very odious, misogynistic Hollywood system that preyed on actors (of all genders). Her death was treated as a footnote, which is just so painful compared to the energy and care that she instilled in her legendary roles.

Robin Williams — who I also adored — had just been diagnosed with a severe neurologically degenerative disorder, which is something I live with and understand. Hopefully better medication, treatment, and possibly a "cure" will be found down the road. I don't blame Robin Williams for giving up. It's tough to force oneself to crawl out of bed to endure agony and the feeling of being a lesser-than until day's end when more medication dulls existence into a chemical coma.

Morrissey was simply pointing out that Lauren Bacall was a true Hollywood legend — one of the last — from the Golden Age of Hollywood, and she deserved to be treated thusly. Had she slit her own throat in front of a TMZ camera, she might have received the added accolade of being labeled a "stunt queen", but it's best that those of us who appreciated her life's work also appreciated the dignity of her death.

You guys are so LAME. Robin Williams was totally overrated and is even more so now because he died. It was sad he killed himself, but that doesn't make him more talented. He was actually very annoying and couldn't talk normally for 3 seconds. Morrissey is totally right.

I agree, the Robin Williams comment was unnecessary. The media RIGHTFULLY gave more weight and coverage to Robin Williams due to the unfortunate manner in which he passed. Lauren Bacall lived out her life and died of natural causes. Robin Williams, a man who provided joy and laughter to so many for decades, turned out to be a victim of a depression that grabbed hold of him in a way that in Williams mind there was no other manner other than his ultimate means to break free from.

As I yelled out at one of Morrissey's shows once, "Shut up and sing."

Agreed. Robin's quick wit and ability to improvise the way he could was something that came along perhaps once in a generation. The man was as sharp as they came. For Morrissey to slag on him and then profess to love Oscar Wilde is baffling. Unlike Morrissey, Robin's best lines weren't taken from books or 1960's BBC dramas.

To compare Robin Williams to Oscar Wilde is idiocy beyond belief. I can't recall any of RW's "lines" at all (let alone any of his "best" ones) and I very much doubt he will ever be quoted in posterity (ie by generations beyond his own) in the same way Wilde is and always will be.

And in any case, Morrissey's comment is not a slur on RW - it's an unambiguous slur on the media, hence his reference to Big Brother in the last line.

Personally, I thought the American media's over-reaction to RW's suicide was ludicrous. You'd have thought a major humanitarian or philanthropist had died, not a very average comedian/comedy actor known primarily for the plethora of terrible films he made and his over-rated, rather crass improvisations. It's like the American nation only ever gets emotional about Hollywood fictions - the endless banalities about the sentimental, one-dimensional characters he played were nauseating.

I always regarded RW as one of the most un-funny men on the planet, but that's just my personal opinion. Did Morrissey's statement contain anything like this? Of course not - he does not "slag off" RW, his was an attack on the media. It's me who is "slagging off" RW's limited talent and America's reaction to his death.

Those who say Morrissey's statement shows that he is stuck in the past or that Lauren Bacall was only relevant to the 1940's, evidently have no sense of history or cultural influence. That's like saying that Sinatra or Elvis are only relevant to the 50's and 60's. What we've just witnessed in the media is the equivalent of Donny Osmond's death being more widely reported and given greater cultural significance than that of David Bowie.

I agree, the Robin Williams comment was unnecessary. The media RIGHTFULLY gave more weight and coverage to Robin Williams due to the unfortunate manner in which he passed. Lauren Bacall lived out her life and died of natural causes. Robin Williams, a man who provided joy and laughter to so many for decades, turned out to be a victim of a depression that grabbed hold of him in a way that in Williams mind there was no other manner other than his ultimate means to break free from.

As I yelled out at one of Morrissey's shows once, "Shut up and sing."

I agree. He could've used more tact re Robin Williams, especially considering they both share the black dog.

Why does he have to twist the knife? He really is awful at writing these death statements, he's so f***ing morbid and doesn't focus at all on the positives. His brain really is wired up all wrong.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom